Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Running a portable generator at an angle of heel

"and it doesnt affect instruments or the "
Proving what? Only that you can abuse electronics for a very long time without noticing any damage. However, they will take damage. Old studies (1970's) from the USAF indicate that discrete electronics, when properly chosen and used in properly engineered circuits, have a life expectancy of 100 years. ICs can last a thousand years, at which point the circuits in them electroplate themselves out of contact. And we pretty much all throw spikes and surges at all of our electronics regularly, and they keep on running.
But in the long run? It is still "dirty" power, and may be shortening the life or impacting the performance. From the laymen's point of view, that's impossible to tell. I trust the folks who make it, and the techs that have torn into it, when they tell me "this stuff is bad for your electronics". Of course I'm one of those curmudgeons who really doesn't WANT a new cell phone or TV or whatever every two years anyhow, I just want to dance with the one that brung me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

A bit of a hijack,

A couple of years back, I was in OshKosh at the Airventure fly-in. (largest fly-in general aviation show in the world, I believe. 10,000 planes fly in and hundreds of thousands of visitors)

The guy tied down next to us runs a hose from his wing fuel sump to the gas tank on his Honda generator and the thing runs 24/7 for a week. Yes, it was a bit scary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-08-2012

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Cool site BL, interesting too that the dimensions of the 2000w unit are only about an inch larger on all sides, less of a difference than I would have thought. However 46 pounds, plus the weight of 4 gallons of gas, makes it quite a bit heavier...
Peter, I believe the fuel measurement is in liters not gallons so that would be alot less fuel to add to the overall weight.
Old 11-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

hellosailor,

Since I am running the gen to the shorepower...which goes then to the AC side of my boat and the ac outlets/ breakers. One of the breakers allows mew to operate a mastervolt 3 step charger which then charges the batteries.

All my electronics and refrigeration are on the d/c side. running from the batteries. How can there be an effect? I can understamd a spike from the gen to anything I have plugged into the ac side, but how does it get through to the dc side?

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-08-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

My thinking behind two 1000 watt gennies is improved 12 volt output when linked over a 2k genny, redundancy and running flexibility- you only run what you need when you need it. Most times you'll only need to run a sub 1000 watt load, so why haul out a bigger, higher consumption generator than you need? as far as storage, build a couple of shelves into the usually underutilized cockpit lockers and stack 'em. It also gives one the ability to loan a generator if necessary.

Old 11-08-2012

Tanley is on a distinguished road

We just went through the same decision process as you in preparation for Sandy. Bought it for the house but figured we can use it on the boat too.

Went with the 2000. Side by side there's hardly a difference in footprint or noise between the 2. The 2000 is easily carried around with one hand (think of a really small carry on suit case). It's so portable that I find it more convenient to use around the house than running extension cords for outside projects. Already brought it to the yard to work on the boat too.

Keep in mind that the initial current draw on your home fridge's compressor may make the 1000 choke. Got ours locally for $900. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-08-2012

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

you people that are using either the 1000 or 2000 to run your onboard battery charger should take a look at the output of your charger It is probably pretty low since the input voltage on the AC side is only 65 volts. As i said in an earlier post the honda generators split the voltage between the neutral and hot leads and a mod is required to make things right. Its a simlpe matter of bonding the ground and neutral wire.
Old 11-08-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

My main concern with the 2000 besides weight is regarding fuel consumption. I'm guessing it uses double the fuel (100 cc motor vs 48 cc), yet only provides ~60% more power (1600 watts versus 900). Fuel was pretty scarce those days after Sandy...
Old 11-08-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Peter,

Both the 1 and 2 kw have an Econ mode that slows down the engine when they are lightly loaded. When running the same loads on them they pretty much burn the same amount of fuel. As I remember it was around 5 gallons in 24 hours with the one, and close enough with the two that I couldn't tell the difference.
Old 11-08-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanley View Post
The 2000 is easily carried around with one hand (think of a really small carry on suit case). It's so portable that I find it more convenient to use around the house than running extension cords for outside projects. Already brought it to the yard to work on the boat too.
Thanks for the firsthand experience Tanley! So maybe it's not as much a PITA as I had thought then, though it's a big difference between reaching into a lazarette and simply going into your garage...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.