Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Running a portable generator at an angle of heel

Rather surprising no one has posed the question so far, so I'll give it a shot...

Why on earth would one want to completely spoil the exquisite pleasure of sailing a 25-footer in sufficient breeze to put her on a heel, by running one of those infernal things? (grin)

I forget, what sort of power do you have aboard your boat? Inboard, or outboard? The 1000 is actually a pretty inefficient way to charge batteries, after all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Rather surprising no one has posed the question so far, so I'll give it a shot...

Why on earth would one want to completely spoil the exquisite pleasure of sailing a 25-footer in sufficient breeze to put her on a heel, by running one of those infernal things? (grin)

I forget, what sort of power do you have aboard your boat? Inboard, or outboard? The 1000 is actually a pretty inefficient way to charge batteries, after all...
I agree that I would rather not have an engine running while sailing.

However, why is 1000w any less efficient way of running the 110v chargers than anything else? Has to be more efficient than my genset and any engine driven alternator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-08-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

My KIPOR 2600 has been working great in really BAD conditions 24/7

As we on going on are 11th day it already does not owe me a penny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 11-08-2012

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Peter,

Not sure if one can get a retro-fit kit, you may want to look into making the genset you do get an LP useage. You do lose some power using LP, I do not recall the amount, for discussion purposes, I am recalling around 10%, so the 2000s unit would produce around 1800w.

A LOT of folks use the 2000w with land yachts, then link together, as at around 50-60 lbs iirc are easier to move than a single 3-4K unit in the low 100 lbs range. Yeah a 1000 at 25-30 lbs is easier yet........again, it depends upon how much power you need! Not sure if the 1K unit will tie together like the 2K units will to produce ~4Kw of power. If 50-60 lbs is too much for you to lift, but you need say 1500w of power at your max useage, then 2 -1K units tied together may be an option if you can do that.

If it were me, I would really try to find an lp operated genset, as at least then, while not CO free, compared to gas, very CO free, way less threat from fumes etc. I am sure there is an additional 200-500 cost.......but worth it imho!

Marty
Here you go! Propane conversion...THE ONLY WAY TO GO with generators!! I converted my 5500W Home Depot special and it works GREAT! A 30lb. bottle seems to last forever. I converted my Dad's little Coleman 3500 anfter years of fooling around with bad gas, clogged lines etc. My sister has it now since my Dad moved into his apartment we builrt him. A Honda 2K is on our goodie list as well (Might look into that Yamaha3000) when we get it there will be NO question...I will convert it right away to propane.

A and C Kit List kits
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 11-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Swamp I think thats a great idea since we already have propane aboard.

Damn Tommays. My heart goes out to you.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-08-2012

THEFRENCHA is on a distinguished road

Reading posts re: gasoline generators I always wonder why anyone would spend so much money for a Honda or whatever famous brand .Bought a 1kw at Harborfreight for $90.00 about 5 years ago and this thing works fine! Always start and no rust
Old 11-08-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

hang in there tommays!!!

Old 11-08-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

For starting a 16k BTU air conditioner with a Honda 2000, you will want to use what is called a "Soft Start" device. It's an electrical module that you wire between the generator's output and the air conditioner's input. Think of it as a valve that opens slowly to control the amount of current it allows to the air conditioner while the compressor is starting to turn.

When you start an electrical load, such as a motor, the starting current shoots up pretty high and then gradually ramps down to the full load current that the device requires to run. This is called "in-rush" current. As people above have already mentioned, the electrical name plate on your air conditioner lists how many Amps it draws. That is the current draw when it is up and running. The Amps will be a lot higher as it starts up.

What a Soft Start does is choke that startup current down and stretch it over a longer period of time, such that the inrush current is kept to a controllable level. The device will take a little longer to get up to full current, meaning the motor will turn a little slowly at first.

The ramp up time is rather quick- it's not really that noticeable. We are talking a few seconds here. But a Soft Start will keep you from tripping breakers or knocking the generator off line when you start the air conditioner.

A Soft Start is sized based on the voltage and rated current of the load device (your air conditioner) that will be connected to it.

Here's an example of a soft start: (you want a "single phase" unit)

Single Phase HVAC Compressor Soft Start
Carlo Gavazzi RSBS Series | Energy Efficient Products | Marshall Wolf Automation, Inc.
Old 11-08-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

We have power again as of 8:30 PM Still gotta wait in gs lines BUT even thats getting a bit better

I was merely inconvenienced while perhaps not Katrina level folks around here on the south shore have really lost EVERYTHING

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 11-08-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Glad you're back on Tom. My brother has his boat over in Bayshore. He came out of it with no damage but people I know in Stony Brook STILL have no power. What a screw up for LILCO!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.