Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: The Emotions Over The Bounty Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Roger, Understand I also take at face value you are who you have stated after all this is a social media site.

I know Roger personally and consider him both a friend, and he's a customer of mine too... He is everything he said he is and then some. There is NO BS with Roger Long oh and his resume is much longer than what he stated......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2012
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

If you are interested in stability, you might also enjoy:

Stability of Boats and Ships

Old 11-08-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Who cares about the Coast Guard inquiry?

It's probably Mickey Mouse in comparison with the coming lawsuits. The captain is dead and the ship is gone.

What are they going to do, pull the deceased captain's license and fine the owner of the boat for failure to maintain or assess the costs of the rescue?

Much to the chagrin of those who believe in government to solve our problems, administrative proceedings are not the be-all and end-all to legal liability.

What makes you think the Coast Guard Marine Board is going to be "Mickey-Mouse"? And that private lawsuits are going to do such a better job?

Have you participated in a formal Board? You're aware the parties in interest have the right to employ legal counsel, who are relatively free to probe anything relevant? Likely the same lawyers to be involved in the subsequent I-want-money litigation.

The Board has the duty to try to find out what happened factually, and to recommend any regulatory changes they find advisable. Also to put the fear of God into all the other licensed Masters, regardless of the apparent death of the licensed captain here. Also, in private litigation, the attorneys/parties decide what evidence they want to put forward or keep on the down-low (if they can). Those proceedings can be more about winning a narrow legal issue and deemphasizing unfavorable evidence, than about getting the full factual picture and determining what's good (or bad) for the industry and the public looking ahead. Also the Board members tend to have decent general maritime experience and knowledge. Not necessarily so, depending on which federal or state judge you draw, or what jury pool you're asking to figure out a marine casualty

But hey, free country (full disclosure--I'm retired Coast Guard Reserve and have sat on, and practiced before, these boards). You can call then just an "administrative procedure" if you want, but they do have credibility with the public historically, at least in my view. Your mileage may vary, but this is mine.
wingNwing and YukonJack like this.

Last edited by nolatom; 11-08-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-08-2012
Retired Naval Architect

This thread I started on SBO will probably be of interest to those who have read this far:

What's Wrong in These Pictures? - SailboatOwners.com

Old 11-08-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Those look like gate valves rather than seacocks. It also looks like the extinguisher is verging on being low. Didn't I read in this thread that the Bounty just passed a CG inspection?
Old 11-08-2012
Retired Naval Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Didn't I read in this thread that the Bounty just passed a CG inspection?
Only as far as not presenting a hazard to visitors while tied to a dock if it was anything beyond the same safety inspection they might give your boat. She was certificated as an "Attraction Vessel" which is moved from port to port by a professional crew. It's about the lowest rung of USCG oversight.

The fact that she was providing sail training and could not continue in business without people willing to work for token wages may have some unfortunate consequences for the sail training and historic vessel community. The USCG investigation of the "Pride" was largely motivated by avoiding opening up that can of worms but they may not be able to duck it this time.
Old 11-08-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Those look like gate valves rather than seacocks. It also looks like the extinguisher is verging on being low. Didn't I read in this thread that the Bounty just passed a CG inspection?
Ball Valves. OK to use ball valves as long as the threads are compatible ie NPT to NPT or NPS to NPS.
Old 11-08-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

The electrical system is all wrong from the wires to the control board being low. With water sloshing around all system would short out easily. No more energy, no more water pumps.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-08-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
The fact that she was providing sail training and could not continue in business without people willing to work for token wages may have some unfortunate consequences for the sail training and historic vessel community.
Perhaps one of the maritime lawyers will answer this question:

Doesn't that set up, claiming the passengers are crew due to token wages, also protect the owner of the ship because the Jones Act/Death on the High Seas law limit the potential liability of the ship owner in a maritime accident, just as workers compensation laws do for work-related injuries on land?

And isn't it correct that such a limitation of liability would not protect the captain's estate from a wrongful death claim by the family of the deceased woman crew member?
Old 11-08-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

Roger,
Your post on the Pride that you referenced is fascinating. I can't say that I understand all the technical details, but I didn't spend much time trying, either.