Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 16'-18' Catamaran help

Hobie 16 I say also. I learned to really sail on them. There are small fleets of them everywhere. I kept mine on the beach in front of my house in a beah community in NJ.

Can be handled by one person. Have a jib and mainsail and are very responsive and quick. easy to find parts and can find ones used and inexpensive relatively easily. Sets up in 20 minutes Easily trailorable also.

dave
dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2012

Navigator Wannabe is on a distinguished road

If you are on a budget, any 16 or 18, depending on your crew weight.
(Smallest one that COMFORTABLY fits you, crew and a few pounds of gear.)
In CA, the best deal will most likely be a Hobie.

If you have cash: TAIPAN. I have never seen anything that even comes close.
Used ones are rare to nonexistent in the states, new ones might be a pricy import.
But still, google them.

On the size:

Auntie Google will also give you the minimum and maximum crew weight for each model. Minimum is important, because you need approximately this weight to right the cat after a capsize.
There are thing-a-magics with pulleys and bags you fill with water to substitute crew weight, but still, consider how you would right it alone.

Maximum weight you can exceed quite a it, the thing will just sail like a stone. Which is still way faster than any keel boat, and totally ok for an afternoon sail with normally-non-sailing guests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlltrash View Post
I am looking for a used 16’ – 18’ catamaran. Here in southern California there are lots of them for sale, but which should I get?

1. The boat will be used mostly in sheltered coastal (Pacific) waters. However, when the weather is good, I will sometimes take it out into the ocean (which means some waves & swells.)

2. The most important criterion is good single-handed sailing characteristics. It will be sailed solo about 80% of the time. (Because the water is deep, daggerboards are not a problem, especially if they improve upwind pointing.)

3. Lastly (only IF the first two requirements are well met) is the boat big/buoyant enough to carry a second crewman (or two children) on occasion?

Recently I have seen the following catamarans for sale: A Class, Hobie 16/17/18/18 Magnum, NACRA 5.0/5.2/5.5/5.7, Prindle 15/16/ 18/18-2, Trac 16, Sol Cat 18, SuperCat 17. I have not seen any G-Cats or Mysteres. Are they worth looking for?

Which of these (or any other Cats) will work the best for the purposes noted above?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 11-08-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

If you are going to sail alone, that means a boat you can right on your own.

Hobie 18/Prindle 18/Larger NACRAs: Not possible for most mortals. Don't buy these unless you have crew or are certain you won't ditch.

Hobie16/Prindle 16: Not easy, but possible. You need to be big and/or carry a righting bag. The Prindle is a little easier (lighter). Had one for many years, dumped her a few times. Easy to right with a crew, hard with a bag, impossible without some form of aid.

Hobie 17/Hobie 17 turbo. These are my favorite one-up boats on the used market. Prindle 15s are hard to find. The Hobie 14 is too slow.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 11-09-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Hobie16/Prindle 16: Not easy, but possible. You need to be big and/or carry a righting bag.
I'm just under 6' tall and weigh about 185 lbs. Is that "big"?

I have righted a Hobie 16 many times without a righting bag.