Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012

ultimatesailer is on a distinguished road
Angry Water in oil

On a Universal diesel 5411 with water in the oil, what is the best way to proceed? I have taken the raw water pump off and put it on tap water pressure and no leaks. I have looked at the high elbows on the exhaust and no water is back flowing. I have replaced the small plate gasket under the timing cover. I have replaced the head gasket and shim. Still getting water in the oil. Changed oil 7 times so far. I was going to remove engine and take off the oil pan and put tap water pressure on the cooling system to see if I could determine underneath where the water is coming from. Anyone else ever deal with this issue? Tkx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Water in oil

Generally not a good idea to supply pressurized water into an engine, because it can back up in the exhaust, flood the cylinders, hydrolock them and cause damage as well as rust the cylinder walls and slip past the rings and into your oil.

Water in the oil could be a corroded cooling passage but most likely is a blown head gasket. Compression testing, etc. may be able to find that.
Old 11-08-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

I was having now and then water in the oil of my Universal M-35b. Eventually determined the source was my PSS dripless shaft seal. It had a seawater supply plumbed to the engine's seawater intake hose. When sailing and heeled, the water apparently flowed from the shaft seal, into the seawater intake for the engine and ended up getting into the oil via the exhaust system.
HDChopper likes this.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 11-08-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a cracked head to me. When you find it you'll know. Was there any sign of water creeping past any of the previous 6 head gaskets? Did you have the head resurfaced? Magnafluxed?
HDChopper likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-08-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Sounds like a cracked head to me. When you find it you'll know. Was there any sign of water creeping past any of the previous 6 head gaskets? Did you have the head resurfaced? Magnafluxed?
I think you are spot on with that one.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 11-08-2012

ultimatesailer is on a distinguished road

There was no sign of problems with the head gasket. It was only replaced once but the oil was changed many time so the volume would not build up and blow a seal. Without a crack in the block or head how could the water get in the oil? Tkx
Old 11-08-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

If the head is warped it can pass between a water passage and an oil passage around the head gasket. Sorry I misread the head gaskets VS oil changes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-08-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

you can pressure test the cooling system with one of these;

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 11-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatesailer View Post
There was no sign of problems with the head gasket. It was only replaced once but the oil was changed many time so the volume would not build up and blow a seal. Without a crack in the block or head how could the water get in the oil? Tkx
Unfortunately, you've probably covered the other reasons already.

As a slight possibility, your water pump may only leak when it's spinning, so your test may not have been good.
HDChopper likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-09-2012

steel is on a distinguished road

So it doesn't leak with pressurized water in the cooling system. Maybe it only leaks when the engine is warmed up? If it's really not getting in from the cooling system, it must be sea water flowing in from something else, like the exhaust, or crankshaft seals.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.