Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tomperanteau

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
San Diego Shakedown Day 5 - Still No Wind!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2012
22 footer

2belize&back is on a distinguished road
Re: San Diego Shakedown Day 5 - Still No Wind!

i'll do a wind dance 4 you,so u will get shook-up.
Old 11-09-2012

Wcoast sailor is on a distinguished road

I just saw your post and looked at your web site. You are getting ready to do what I would love to do but probably won't be able. My wife likes sailing but not living aboard more than a few days and then only when at the dock for the night. Still haven't gotten her to Catalina 73 miles from here. (San Diego). By the way that "other carrier" you pointed out in one of your video's sailing out of SD was a museum, the USS Midway. Keep us posted on your trip. I know you are looking for people to sign up, for a fee, to get updates.
Brad
Old 11-09-2012
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcoast sailor View Post
I just saw your post and looked at your web site. You are getting ready to do what I would love to do but probably won't be able. My wife likes sailing but not living aboard more than a few days and then only when at the dock for the night. Still haven't gotten her to Catalina 73 miles from here. (San Diego). By the way that "other carrier" you pointed out in one of your video's sailing out of SD was a museum, the USS Midway. Keep us posted on your trip. I know you are looking for people to sign up, for a fee, to get updates.
Brad
Although my wife has always loved the boat, she didn't really come to love sailing until this last cruise to San Diego. I had to leave her alone to sail while I rested for the night shift. She ended up falling in love with sailing so much that now when she hears of small craft warnings, she wants to take the boat out!

On your comment about me wanting people to sign up for a fee to get updates; I have no idea what you are referring to. Everything I post is on Youtube or on my site, and it is all out there for free. I run my blog on my Wordpress server. I don't ask anyone for anything for going to my site and reading everything I post, and I have no way of asking for anything for people watching Youtube.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 11-09-2012

Wcoast sailor is on a distinguished road

Sorry about my misunderstanding on the fees. There are small craft warnings out today and tomorrow. Are you guys going out? I was headed down to my boat (at Harbor Island) got over half way there after a call from work, when I had to turn around. Forgot the keys at home. I'll be going down tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2012
Crotchety Old Member

We may. I had the NOAA on earlier here at the office and the wife heard about the winds out in the channel. Although the mechanic is supposed to have a look at the engine this weekend, she said, "we don't need the engine to get out of the slip and sail out!" so we'll see...

S/V Footprints

Youtube

Old 11-09-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
We may. I had the NOAA on earlier here at the office and the wife heard about the winds out in the channel. Although the mechanic is supposed to have a look at the engine this weekend, she said, "we don't need the engine to get out of the slip and sail out!" so we'll see...
That is definitely a great spirit, I have never tried it. I have thought of it and would if I HAD to do it. I am always afraid of damaging my or anothers boat. My marina is very tight, meaning only about 40 ft to back a 30 ft boat of its slip and get moving. If i were to try that with just sails I am afraid of the sideways movment of my boat before she starts making headway....This is why I have not tried it. Best of luck if you do try.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 11-09-2012
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
That is definitely a great spirit, I have never tried it. I have thought of it and would if I HAD to do it. I am always afraid of damaging my or anothers boat. My marina is very tight, meaning only about 40 ft to back a 30 ft boat of its slip and get moving. If i were to try that with just sails I am afraid of the sideways movment of my boat before she starts making headway....This is why I have not tried it. Best of luck if you do try.
We discussed it and I quelled her new-found enthusiasm just enough to let her stop and think about it. We've never sailed in or out of the slip, either. I would rather that our first time trying it we would have a working diesel as a back up in the event that we ended up against someone else's boat.

We opted to let the mechanic do his repairs before we do the hard core stuff. She definitely has the spirit though. Once I let her take the helm and let her alone to try, fail, try again and succeed, she became a die-hard sailor.
HDChopper likes this.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

Old 11-09-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

This is going to seem like the most ridiculous thing in the world but we were in a club race, they call it beer can races, there was absolutely no wind. Everyone had to keep their engines running or we'd be playing bumper boat. I put us right at the line at the start and cut the engine just before we crossed. Then the boat, along with all the others glided almost to a stop.

After a while I got tired of going nowhere and took the genny sheet and started pumping the sail. The guys on board were having a lot of fun at my expense telling me this will never work, until we slowly started creeping away. But even the slightest wind negated my efforts as the pack caught up to us. I eventually quit and had a cocktail.

Disclaimer: Don't try this on your boat! Your arms will get very tired and you won't be able to raise a beer to your mouth!