Anyone here have first hand experience on a Cape Dory Typhoon? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 Old 11-09-2012
Re: Anyone here have first hand experience on a Cape Dory Typhoon?

Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
I had a Sailmaster 22 that I sailed all over the Chesapeake. It was a full keel, attached rudder, and centerboard (S&S Design) that would let me get into 2.5 feet of water. However, it is this boat that helped me formulate my therom that one should not sail in winds where the wind speed in knots exceeds the waterline length of the boat. A major contributing factor, however was the huge main that was very difficult to reef (roller reefing being what it is). The full keel with attached rudder allowed us to laugh at the crab pots. Never once snagged one.
Have fun shopping.
I must say that Sailmaster 22 is one of my favorite designs of all time. I have often thought that when I got too old to push big boats around, I would go back and and buy one of the Keel centerboarders of that era: something like a Sailmaster 22, Dolphin 24 or Morgan 25, and go explore the quiet corners of the Bay that were too shallow for my deeper draft boats.

Of course I would add modern sails, change deck hardware so you never had to go on deck, and the reefing so I could reef on the fly.

Hey, don't shoot me, I said when I was older, not dead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 23 Old 11-09-2012

I've owned a typhoon for a few years, then went to a sailmaster 22, sailed her for 2 years then sold her. Regretted that move and searched for another. My present boat started as a sailmaster and was modified by the former owner. She's a pleasure to sail, ez to own, brings back the 'feel'

Last edited by seaojoe; 11-09-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added text
post #23 of 23 Old 11-09-2012

I bought one for 2500, sailed it hard for 5 years and sold it for 2000. 19', trailer-able,
One of the most popular one designs ever. Flat bottom, planes in a puff, yet very stable.
Google International Lightning Class Assn.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.