SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Anyone here have first hand experience on a Cape Dory Typhoon? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93925-anyone-here-have-first-hand-experience-cape-dory-typhoon.html)

chrisncate 11-08-2012 10:52 PM

Anyone here have first hand experience on a Cape Dory Typhoon?

Thinking about wasting yet more time, resources and energy on a boat again, this time with the lofty aspiration of simply day sailing on the bay (ok, maybe overnight camping once in awhile too). The CD Typhoon appeals to me for the obvious Alberg 30 similarities...

Anyone have any insight to share on the Typhoon? I am also considering a Catalina 22, but I have always enjoyed being out in the stink and bashing around in the short period waves that march up/down the bay, which makes the Typhoon seem more appealing from a design standpoint (again, it's so Albergy..)

?

Sabreman 11-08-2012 11:03 PM

Re: Anyone here have first hand experience on a Cape Dory Typhoon?

My sister and brother-in-law had a Typhoon for many years before selling it for their CD 25D. I've sailed the boat many times and I'd say that it's a tender boat (as are many CDs) due to the long overhangs and narrow beam. It also takes quite a bit of wind to get going due to its weight. They are easy on the eye as are all Carl Alberg's designs, but I'd by a Catalina 22 before the Typhoon. I can't envision folding myself into their cubby for an overnight.

The Catalina 22 (which my parents owned before their 27 & 30) is a great boat that's an easy weekender and has a huge cockpit. Since they are centerboard boats, they can get up and go. There are so many of them that a reasonably priced one in good condition is easy to find.

blowinstink 11-08-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisncate (Post 945749)
Thinking about wasting yet more time, resources and energy on a boat again, this time with the lofty aspiration of simply day sailing on the bay (ok, maybe overnight camping once in awhile too). The CD Typhoon appeals to me for the obvious Alberg 30 similarities...

Anyone have any insight to share on the Typhoon? I am also considering a Catalina 22, but I have always enjoyed being out in the stink and bashing around in the short period waves that march up/down the bay, which makes the Typhoon seem more appealing from a design standpoint (again, it's so Albergy..)

?

Definitely go check out the boards at www.
capedory.org

CalebD 11-08-2012 11:41 PM

2nd or 3rd hand or just my own observations. I love the look of the CD Typhoon. We had one sail up on us in our Tartan 27' this summer and we got a good look at her under sail. She was keeping up with us on a reach (I think).
I love the rounded ports and the shippy look. Beautiful boat.
But I've never actually sailed on one. They might very well be a bit 'tender' as the Sabreman suggests which only means you need to learn to reef earlier. I'm sure the draft is appropriate for the Bay.
As you were.

daledog 11-09-2012 12:53 AM

I know a woman in her 80's, who now has a CD25 (it's for sale). She laments having sold her typhoon and would trade her 25 for one. So Genie will tell you they are fantastic, fun little day sailers.

BubbleheadMd 11-09-2012 07:17 AM

Have you considered a Pearson Ariel or Commander? I'd also suggest the Triton, but you seem to be after something a little smaller.

LandLocked66c 11-09-2012 08:03 AM

DO IT!

Kinda small though...

JimMcGee 11-09-2012 08:57 AM

Hey Chris,
The Typhoons are very pretty boats, but as Sabreman said the Catalina 22 may be the more comfortable weekender. The pop-top model even more so.

We had a 22 wing keel. I deliberately looked for a wing so there would be less maintenance than with a swing keel and you still only draw 2 1/2 feet. It was a great little boat and I still miss her sometimes. If you plan to trailer rather than keep her in a slip the swing keel may be more attractive.

If you do some online searching you'll also find these little boats are tougher than many give them credit for. This guy, "Chip Ahoy" Home has done some serious cruising in his.

There's also something to be said for the support with these boats. Fleet 22 is based in Annapolis Fleet 22 Home , there is a very active owners group catalina22.org and Catalina still provides factory support and manuals for these boats no matter their age. There's also CatalinaDirect that provides specific parts and non-factory upgrades for these boats. There is nothing you can think of that others haven't written about, figured out or done.

There's a reason the Catalina 22 is the most popular sailboat ever built.

Can you tell I really enjoyed ours?

jsaronson 11-09-2012 08:58 AM

Beautiful. They are surprisingly tender given their weight.

Maine Sail 11-09-2012 09:12 AM

The Ty is a great little boat and I've sailed on many over the years. That said if I was looking for a boat of this rough size the Pearson Ensign would get my nod over the Ty. They fit more people more comfortably, sail faster, and perform quite admirably. They also have beautiful lines.... Sailed both quite a bit and would consider the Ensign over the Ty, but both are still great boats...