Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Garbage Island

these are great films

real adventurers

love them to bits

https://www.youtube.com/user/vega1860

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

For sure, it isn't only from the tsunamis and hurricanes, I'm only suggesting you can't get to zero.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-10-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridajaxsailor View Post
Chuck,
I just added this to my Facebook & many will see your positve energy
God bless
-JD
Thank you. The more people learn about it the closer we will be to some kind of solution.

Old 11-10-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
For sure, it isn't only from the tsunamis and hurricanes, I'm only suggesting you can't get to zero.
True, sadly. But it can be reduced substantially I hope. By reducing the amount of synthetic, non-biodegradable packaging and educating the populace to properly dispose of trash we can certainly make a dent it.

Much of the debris we found was derelict fishing gear that is nowadays made of plastics. It floats until it collects enough marine growth to sink it. then it is out of sight but still there floating below the surface. That gear is not cheap and fishermen don't cut it loose on purpose. I don't know what the solution to that part of the problem might be - different materials that will do the job more economically and bio-degrade more quickly is the only thing I can think of.

Old 11-10-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

We should make Japanese Tsunamis illegal, will be less trash floating in the ocean that way.
Helloooooooo, there was a major disaster in Japan recently that washed zillions of tons of debris into the ocean. Ya think that could have something to do with this?
jrd22 likes this.
Old 11-10-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Of course natural disasters will add to the problem but i think it would be silly to suggest that thereis not a hell of a lot more rubbish floating about now than say fifty years back.

That part of it caused by natural disasters is to my mind simply suggesting that we as a species generate way too much garbage, much of it non biodegradable and we need to address this issue.

As for the amount in the ocean the damage to marine life alone is enough to cause concern. Only this week a whale calf was seen in Sydney Harbour trailing the remnants of a fishing net. How many more critters die simply because we are thoughtless in the way we generate and dispose of rubbish.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 11-10-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We can do much better and we should so MUCH better. Let's not get the zero impact rhetoric started, which never happens and keeps the rational thinkers from getting aboard.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-10-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Of course natural disasters will add to the problem but i think it would be silly to suggest that thereis not a hell of a lot more rubbish floating about now than say fifty years back.

That part of it caused by natural disasters is to my mind simply suggesting that we as a species generate way too much garbage, much of it non biodegradable and we need to address this issue.

As for the amount in the ocean the damage to marine life alone is enough to cause concern. Only this week a whale calf was seen in Sydney Harbour trailing the remnants of a fishing net. How many more critters die simply because we are thoughtless in the way we generate and dispose of rubbish.
I think everyone should euthanize their children for the sake of 'sustainability'. Apparently not much else seems to be working.
Old 11-10-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

There is trash washing up on Washington beaches daily from the tsunami, so much that the feds have kicked in some cash to help with the disposal. You would have sailed right through the middle of it on your route. They expect it to continue for another year I think. I've got two aluminum net floats from Japan sitting right here beside me from the beach a little while ago, there are boats, docks, you name it coming across the N Pacific.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 11-10-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
I think everyone should euthanize their children for the sake of 'sustainability'. Apparently not much else seems to be working.
What a remarkably stupid thing to say. I suggest we are generating too much garbage and disposing of it in a thoughtless manner and this is your response ? Where on earth is the corollary between my post and yours ?

You seem to intimate that I am a lunatic greeny proposing that we eliminate all waste products yet nothing I have said supports your bizarre theory. Otoh, why buy produce in a plastic container which is then simply dumped ? Why not put it into a recyclable bag ? The reality is that we are all going to generate a certain amount of garbage, the reality is that some products pretty much need to be packaged, any sensible person can see that but limiting said amount is surely no bad thing.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Tags
garbage , island packet , pollution , trash