Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Re: Garbage Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
There is trash washing up on Washington beaches daily from the tsunami, so much that the feds have kicked in some cash to help with the disposal. You would have sailed right through the middle of it on your route. They expect it to continue for another year I think. I've got two aluminum net floats from Japan sitting right here beside me from the beach a little while ago, there are boats, docks, you name it coming across the N Pacific.
The 2011 tsunami made it worse, no question. But do not make the mistake of thinking that that event was the cause. We saw a disturbing amount of trash in mid Pacific in 1999 when we sailed from Vancouver to Hawaii in the Endeavour Replica, more in 2007 when we took Lealea from Hawaii to Washington. We can't do anything about natural disasters but we each, one person at a time, can certainly do something about the problem of pollution in the seas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
We can't do anything about natural disasters but we each, one person at a time, can certainly do something about the problem of pollution in the seas.
I'm not saying we shouldn't each possess the common sense to not throw trash, especially plastic, into the oceans but unless you can get the governments of most all of the Asian nations to start helping a bit it really doesn't add up to the proverbial drop in the ocean.

Your route from HI to AK would have taken you directly through the tsunami debris field so I don't think it would be realistic to not expect to see a lot of trash.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 11-11-2012

sd1953 is on a distinguished road

Let's recap, some nutjob poisons several packages of aspirin, so the drug company has to go to more extensive packaging to protect their customers. Floating band-aids (and worse) convince us that re-using soda bottles made of glass is dangerous to our health, so the soda companies go to one-use plastic bottles. All this evil plastic was introduced into packaging to protect US (every one of you, and me too!). But in the provisioning threads we don't like taking all that packaging onto our boats, there is no place to dispose of trash at sea (or on most islands). The limitations of our boats make us more vigilant about trash, and our interaction with the ocean make us painfully aware of the condition of our planet.
But it seems to me that any solution we propose has to acknowledge the existence of the prior problem and has to solve it too. Less plastic use would be good, what do you replace it with and meet the needs of the earth's seven BILLION inhabitants? More plastic recycling would be good, who is doing research on it and how do we support that research?
Like the issues in tuna fishing that killed dolphins, the first step is making everyone aware of the issue. Thanks for the video doing that. Keep at it.
But let's look for real solutions -- they are the only ones that will ever be implemented.
vega1860 likes this.
Old 11-11-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Your route from HI to AK would have taken you directly through the tsunami debris field so I don't think it would be realistic to not expect to see a lot of trash.
Who said we didn't expect it? In fact, we were specifically requested to observe and record any debris that could be identified as coming from the tsunami by University of Hawaii researchers who gave us a computer projection of where they expected it to be.

But perhaps you missed the part where I said:
Quote:
We saw a disturbing amount of trash in mid Pacific in 1999 when we sailed from Vancouver to Hawaii in the Endeavour Replica, more in 2007 when we took Lealea from Hawaii to Washington.
I never imagined this thread would be in any way controversial,especially among sailors, and yet....

"This parrot is dead."

"No it's not. It's just sleeping."

Old 11-11-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Every time we go for a sail we come across plastic bottles ... not good and not much we can do about it but it doesn't justify us throwing our rubbish overboard. Equally so I feel simply because our neghbours are grubs does not mean we have to be as well.

Less plastic would be good ? No doubt and reusable bags for groceries is one way to cut back on plastic usage. When we do end up with plastic bags then use them for trash collectioninstead of putting them into another plastic garbage bag.

Glass and aluminium containers will break down in the ocean and they don't float. So much better than plastic.

Hell, it is not all that difficult is it ? I simply do not understand why it is such an issue.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 11-11-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
Who said we didn't expect it? In fact, we were specifically requested to observe and record any debris that could be identified as coming from the tsunami by University of Hawaii researchers who gave us a computer projection of where they expected it to be.

But perhaps you missed the part where I said:

I never imagined this thread would be in any way controversial,especially among sailors, and yet....

"This parrot is dead."

"No it's not. It's just sleeping."
and pray that there's intelligent life
somewhere out in space
cos there's bugger all
down here on earth ....
(Eric Idle)

vega1860 likes this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-11-2012

Wcoast sailor is on a distinguished road

Sd1953 you said it very well. A lot of the plastic we throw away is used to replace paper/cardboard. McDonalds replaced their food containers of cardboard with styrofoam to avoid the storm about "saving our trees". What! Trees are a renewable resource, and many wood products ARE recyclable. But we are told by one group that saving a tree is good and then another group that plastic is bad. We seem to be damed either way. I mostly am a day sailor and use my net for scouting up fish mostly for scouting up trash from our costal waters. I agree it is heart breaking to see so much trash in the ocean. I suspect that most of what I pick up in S Cal waters is from local boats. I find a lot of Mylar baloons too from cruise ships.
Old 11-11-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

WCoast .... I very much doubt that you would find a single environmentalist anywhere on the planet who would prefer wrapping a hamburger in styrofoam over cardboard or paper. What depresses me is that said hamburger is first wrapped in paper, then put into a styrofoam box before being packed up into a paper bag. Why on earth does a hamburger require three layers of packaging ?

Old 11-11-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
WCoast .... I very much doubt that you would find a single environmentalist anywhere on the planet who would prefer wrapping a hamburger in styrofoam over cardboard or paper. What depresses me is that said hamburger is first wrapped in paper, then put into a styrofoam box before being packed up into a paper bag. Why on earth does a hamburger require three layers of packaging ?
Not only that but even if you go in to sit down and eat, they wrap the darned thing up in layers. Must be some gov't. health dept. rule that the poisonous contents inside need to be covered at all times until eaten.
tdw likes this.
Old 11-11-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Not only that but even if you go in to sit down and eat, they wrap the darned thing up in layers. Must be some gov't. health dept. rule that the poisonous contents inside need to be covered at all times until eaten.
Of course it has been suggested that a Big Mac itself is not bio degradable ....
smurphny likes this.

Tags
garbage , island packet , pollution , trash