Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Angry Garbage Island

I am getting really steamed.

I have been editing and uploading our daily video logs and watching the footage we shot in July and am again seized with anger and despair over the conditions we found on our latest transit of the North Pacific sailing from Hawaii to Alaska. Day after day, starting at about Day 8, the amount of trash floating in the water is appalling! The amount that has sunk below the surface must be horrific.

All you ever see is images of the "Pristine" ocean. Let me tell you: it is not pristine out there. It is a garbage dump. I have vowed to do as much as I can to increase public awareness of this problem. I don't know what else can be done except maybe to get people to generate less trash and to dispose of it properly.

I am trying not to be too heavy handed in our videos; after all, we want people to watch them and be entertained, but we are showing the reality that most people will never see. I just hope we have some small impact and maybe cause someone to be more careful disposing of that styrofoam packing material or plastic container.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Garbage Island

People that dump intentionally should be water boarded.

However, storms like Hurricane Sandy and tsunamis like that in Japan put a lot of garbage in the water that was never intended.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-09-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
I am getting really steamed.

I have been editing and uploading our daily video logs and watching the footage we shot in July and am again seized with anger and despair over the conditions we found on our latest transit of the North Pacific sailing from Hawaii to Alaska. Day after day, starting at about Day 8, the amount of trash floating in the water is appalling! The amount that has sunk below the surface must be horrific.

All you ever see is images of the "Pristine" ocean. Let me tell you: it is not pristine out there. It is a garbage dump. I have vowed to do as much as I can to increase public awareness of this problem. I don't know what else can be done except maybe to get people to generate less trash and to dispose of it properly.

I am trying not to be too heavy handed in our videos; after all, we want people to watch them and be entertained, but we are showing the reality that most people will never see. I just hope we have some small impact and maybe cause someone to be more careful disposing of that styrofoam packing material or plastic container.
Are you aware that our own U.S. NAVY is still exempt from the MARPOL rules..

SEAWASTE
Old 11-09-2012

remetau is on a distinguished road

Reduction in waste is key to the issue. We need to quite producing so much plastic crap, but in order to do that, the demand for such cheap plastic crap needs to be eliminated.
Ritchard likes this.

Old 11-09-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
Reduction in waste is key to the issue. We need to quite producing so much plastic crap, but in order to do that, the demand for such cheap plastic crap needs to be eliminated.
Packaging, driven by marketing and anti-theft concerns, is a huge contributor. Drives me nuts, all the trash we have to dispose of after a trip to Costco, before we even bring our supplies aboard.

Old 11-09-2012

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

Some of that, perhaps most would have come from the tsunami in Japan. Apparently, there is a huge raft of flotsam working it's way around the N. Pacific. When we did the HI to AK passage in 2006 we saw no garbage. In fact, on the 4800 nm trip from Costa Rica to HI I saw only 2 plastic bottles. Ocean was pretty clean back then.
jrd22 and JulieMor like this.

Last edited by billyruffn; 11-09-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

for decades, NYC and other mid atlantic states barged garbage and wastes out to the ocean and just chucked overboard...I think until the 90's when they started trucking some 1,000's of tons daily to PA/MD/VA and even NC...

then there is the whole sewerage issue...some states still run long pipes out and pump the marginally treated stuff in to the ocean...

until this nation focuses on the other parts of the recycle cycle..like reduce, reuse .....the oceans will be the easiest place to chuck it. Just look at any intersection at all the garbage that washes in to the storm sewer drains and out to the oceans....
Old 11-09-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road

huge issue
period

Great Pacific garbage patch & all these things you mention are an enormous problem~ God bless you for working on it
I talk about it as much as I can at least twice a week
epic issue
-JD
Old 11-09-2012

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

Agreed.

Public awareness is key here. Recycling, reusing, etc.. As a surfer and sailor, I explain to non-water people that the ocean isn't pristine like they think, it's more like a diluted pool of trash. Most especially around populated areas, where rain just creates run-off of everything on land flowing into the ocean. LOil, littered garbage, dead animals (seriously), chemicals, you name it, it flows into the ocean. There isn't much one person can do personally, but when I walk back from each surf, I pick up what I can on the beach, it's usually grocery bags and food bag wrappers. I've seen much worse after storms though.

The other day I was sailing off of Los Angelese and saw a soda can with japanese (my guess) labels, I assume drifting from the tsunami. I'm thinking about bringing one of those pool cleaning nets and when I take guests sailing, just having them swoop some things up if they get bored. The thing I see most commonly in the ocean are party balloons all leaking air and tied together, floating on the surface.

The whole disposal of trash is an entirely immense issue, but for people who enjoy the oceans and lakes, seeing it treated like a land fill is awful. The sea is such a vulnerable and easy place to let waste seemingly dissappear.

There's some strong voices out there sailing, on swellvoyage.com, Liz has seen up close the amounts trash surrounding "beautiful" indonesian islands and other places.

I've been in traffic before and witnessed someone litter out their window. I got out my truck, walked up to their door and picked it up, said "Excuse me I think you dropped this" and put it back in the persons face. The person sat speechless. Of course, I don't recommend doing this, there's some crazies out there. I chose this woman because she had kids in her car, figured she wouldn't act insane in front of them and maybe they'll get the message too.

I'm thankful that most sailors aren't contributors to the problem.
Old 11-09-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

Agreed completely, Chuck.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.

Tags
garbage , island packet , pollution , trash