Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Land Cruising

Something that I has not been discussed on Sailnet is the fact that extended cruising gives one the opportunity to do some exciting land travels. We left Ainia at the Zululand Yacht Club in Port Richards, South Africa and I am writing this from Kruger National Park. Haven't seen lions or leopards yet (couple more days to go) but incredible numbers of elephants, buffalo, rhinos, giraffe, etc. Saw two black rhino which are very rare in Kruger so that was certainly exciting.

Earlier in our circumnavigation we toured in Australia and New Zealand and spent more than a month backpacking in Ecuador and Peru. All you need is a secure place to leave the boat, a Lonely Planet guide, and off you go. Travel in Ecuador/Peru was very cheap, a bit more pricey in South Africa especially in the national parks where even the ordinary accomodation is very nice. NZ and Oz were a bit more expensive but if you look you can travel cheaply, for example in Oz we rented a simple camper van and it was something like $35 a day.

Anyone else done interesting land travel while cruising?
Old 11-11-2012

galaboat is on a distinguished road
Land Cruising

Sold my Tayana 37 in 2003 after a 10 year circumnavigation and got myself a land-yacht (land cruiser 80 series) in SA! Got some Kalahari sand in my shoes while there and come back every year and cruise abt 20.000 km in SA, Nam and Botswana! Mind blowing nature!!! May see you in CPT! While you are in KZN, try Umfolozi-Hluhluwe and maybe Phinda if you want to be spoiled (not cheap but wow) Peter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Land Cruising

Not necessarily from the boat but I am cruising since I had money to do that. I rarely take airplanes or high-ways and I have cruised a bit all over Europe, on a bike (road and tt) on a Mehari, on a 4 wheel drive and on a roadster. Besides mountains and beautiful scenery I am interested mainly by local culture in places where it has been kept alive. Not a big city fan.

What about some photos?

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-11-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook