Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012
Rogue Musician

TheTardis is on a distinguished road
Re: Interior painting time!

I say spend the extra $40 now and do it right the first time! You don't want to have to do this all over again a year down the road
'78 Pearson 30, #1099
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2012

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Pressure washing sounds lovely, I figured it wouldn't do much though?

Did you use a mold resistant primer? It turns out my paint is a acrylic bathroom/kitchen scrubable paint, I was mistake. My primer does not indicate mold resistance, and I don't want to cause the same kinds of issues the last idiots did, this has NOT been a fun project.

EDIT: Here's my top coat.

Cloverdale Paint

And here's my primer

Cloverdale Paint
Hard to say what results you will get, but we found on our hull that, after the scraping and sanding and wire brush and grinding, it finally took off the last of the flakes. We scrubbed with simple green before the last wash to get off the grime that still clung in places.

The anti fungal was in the paint, not the primer.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 11-12-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
When you say wire brush, were you doing it by hand? Nothing comes off if I do that now I find. The angle grinder with cup brush is effective but hard on the hull and impossible to contain the dust.
What were you using for grinding? I have a random orbital with 80 grit that does ok in terms of dust, but is incredibly slow and didn't get into corners well. What pressure were you using, in lockers I only seemed to get loose flakes off.

I'm trying to decide between a tsp bleach mix or a commercial paint prep(mostly sodium hydroxide). I love simple green(the industrial stuff, crystal simple green, not the residential multi surface cleaner)
Trying to figure out the order, should I pressure wash now and then sand again if needed, or finish all sanding etc first.

.. ..........................'...'...............
Re: eggshell vs semi gloss. having painted quite a few houses, I'm just cautious about it as semi gloss really did show defects that eggshell hides. I don't mind painting, I'll be doing it again in 5 years if I still own the boat anyways, to keep up mold resistance and fix scratches etc. it's the flaking, and other failure that worry me. Taking it all off sucks, a light sand and top coat takes a few days at worst. Is the failure of eggshell more likely to be a grind back to hull again exercise, or just that the surface gets shiny if scrubbed too hard?

.................................................. ........
Hull will be fully insulated, insulation glued down but I think I'll go buy some mold resistant primer as you suggest tardis. If I didn't already have my foam ordered,(half inch volara) I'd switch to armaflex. Not a big fan of reflectix unless temporary or other requirements involved. I can say that the only non molded places were behind taped down reflectix but I prefer the look of a nice foam. For v berth I'll be going with a light mold resistant carpet over top in areas that a sleeper might roll against.
Would like to try the new laminated volara some day, one side is hdpe(like the thin flexible cutting boards) which should be great in lockers. Minimum order is too big for me though.
I've got a sample but I'm trying to get them to send me enough for one small area, I want to see how it wears and if it can be resurfaced, could be amazing if so.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jgbrown; 11-12-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For v berth I'll be going with a light mold resistant carpet over top in areas that a sleeper might roll against.
Any concern about stuff growing in that carpet?
Old 11-12-2012

It's a thin carpet, specifically designed for marine use, usually they don't even insulate it from the hull as well as I am the insulation should prevent condensation for the most part, and it's quick drying and treated for mold.

Only downside is price, I'm getting a huge discount as a customer is having a big powerboat done with it and I'm tagging along on the same order.

Old 11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
When you say wire brush, were you doing it by hand? What pressure were you using, in lockers I only seemed to get loose flakes off.
Trying to figure out the order, should I pressure wash now and then sand again if needed, or finish all sanding etc first.

.................................................. ........
Hull will be fully insulated, insulation glued down but I think I'll go buy some mold resistant primer as you suggest tardis.\
We used a crimped wire cup brush with a stem, on the drill and a paint and rust stripper disc, also on the drill. A hand held wire brush was used for the tight spaces but it did not work very well for us either.

For the pressure washer we had it as high as our washer goes, 1850. We finished all the sanding first so it would get washer away with the paint.

The hull is being sheathed/insulated/covered in 3/8" cork tile, 22"x11", which is anti fungal and rot resistant.

It's an ugly job no matter how ya slice it!

Last edited by sarafinadh; 11-12-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2012

Hmm. Sorry, I'm still not understanding entirely, if you were using those tools how did you contain dust?

When you finished sanding how was there paint left attached for the pressure washer, wouldn't the sander remove all if that, and if not wouldn't that create new areas and sharp paint edges needing sanding after the pressure wash? I'm wondering if I should pressure wash now to try and get what I can to loosen before spending hours sanding.

Old 11-13-2012

Our fiberglass is not faired, it has a deep waffley texture and paint clung to those dips. We did do a few interim washes and then worked at it further. Stuff kept comig up!

When it was all done we washed down, scrubbed,and then did a final wash.

Old 11-24-2012

After pressure washing I ran fans and a dehumidifier for a few days, humidity was stable at 45%. Then I decided to go all the way, I bought new oil base primer/cover stain and water-borne oil top coat. Both interior exterior, supposed to work together and of high quality. Cost me 140$ for a gallon of each with my discount there but worth the cost since I don't want to be doing this again. Kept temperature etc all within spec while painting, primer yesterday, top coat today. The top coat looked great for 10 minutes, then as it dried it got thousands of microscopic bubbles, looks like I threw sand in the paint...

Technical sales representative from the paint company will be here on Monday or Tuesday, but whatever the result, I'll be sanding down and doing it again.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 11-24-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

previous owner of my C-40 columbia had this for interior paint scheme..going with a scheme like the last pic with the turquoise of a different shade as trim...white being the main color throughout..using acrylic ...maybe some dark burgundy cushions for some warmth will make a true retro-look that avoids beingt too bleak or herreschoff-sterile...thats the plan anyways...

I have got it all gone(lime-yellow) except for forepeak/v-berth...they even painted a fair bit of teak trim throughout in their quest to cover her insides with lime-yellow green and dark tealy sort of turqoiuse trim...I am going mediterranean with the teak toe rail and rub rail and fairing the old teak and painting..so might as well do the inside that way though am leaving most of the unpainted teak trim inside and in hatches etc, handrails...coach roof column,etc . Good luck with your v-berth and post as many pics as you can of course...
Attached Thumbnails
Interior painting time!-120.jpg   Interior painting time!-119.jpg   Interior painting time!-433.jpg