Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Interior painting time!

So it's finally time for me to paint my V-berth! Well almost time, the previous owners' paint jobs are making it interesting. At best guess they half sanded down(and didn't prime ) then coated it with interlux white enamel.
As a result, masking tape pulls up paint to reveal the hideous pink colour underneath or raw fiberglass. So does brushing against the paint, in areas that were hard to clean up(in corners, along hull-deck joint etc) there are huge flakes peeling with tons of mold behind it. Mold in most areas with flaking, based on how dirty the pink paint looks underneath I'm thinking someone sanded down, then it was left for a few years, then coated without cleaning.

In the interest of never ever having this much fun again, I'm going to use a primer specifically for going over fiberglass, metal and other smooth surfaces. I've scraped and scraped and sanded some more, then scraped some more. There always seems to be another area that is easy to scrape if I have time but the loose stuff at least is all gone.

I will put on 2 coats of the primer, then topcoat.
I'm either going with a scrubable acrylic(semi-gloss, off white)
which offers the advantages of:
cleanable but not as blindingly obvious with every defect as glossy.
Less toxic to work with
easy to buy, I can get it at the local paint shop easily, and it bonds well with this primer(bought both together).

Disadvantages:
Not same colour as boat is now, so I'll be doing all of it.
Not as quick drying.
Harder to clean

Rustolem speedy dry enamel advantages:

White, pretty much the same white as the boat is already covered in(interlux yacht enamel) which will make it easier to do things piece by piece and still have the whole boat look consistent.
Quick drying, it's full of the good stuff(xylene etc).
Easier to clean.

Disadvantages:
Will show defects easily
Can't buy more, it seems to have been pulled from all the shelves.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Interior painting time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
I will put on 2 coats of the primer, then topcoat.
I'm either going with a scrubable acrylic(semi-gloss, off white)
which offers the advantages of:
cleanable but not as blindingly obvious with every defect as glossy.
Less toxic to work with
easy to buy, I can get it at the local paint shop easily, and it bonds well with this primer(bought both together).
Use the acrylic semi-gloss. Get one formulated for bathrooms & kitchens as they have mildewcides in them.

One big advantage of this choice is it can be colour matched so if you can get a sample of your existing colour, you can have them make more.

If you choose a standard colour instead, it will be available indefinitely - they keep all their old mixing formulas so as long as you know it, they can look it up and mix it for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-11-2012
Rogue Musician

TheTardis is on a distinguished road
Interior painting time!

I agree with sloop. Just finished scraping and sanding and cleaning and scraping my boat. The previous owner had a mix of laminate faux wood in the main cabin and the ever popular carpet on the wall in the v-birth. What I did was applied several coats of a mildew resistant primer on the clean fiberglass. I had the added step of insulating and adding a facade, but then even that got the same mildew resistant primer. For the topcoat I used the afore mentioned bathroom and kitchen semi gloss because it is designed for moist environments and will also be mildew resistant. The added perk of this is since this type of topcoat is readily available, color matching is easy. Feel free to look at my album to see what I did. Good luck and have fun!
'78 Pearson 30, #1099
Old 11-11-2012

Damnit, Everything I was coming across online said not to use mildew/mold resistant paints due to toxicity issues in a small enclosed space like a boat. Especially since I live aboard.

I am still a bit worried about the toughness of the acrylic surface vs the enamel, but considering the poor adhesion of the previous enamel I guess it doesn't matter.

I have a gallon of each (primer, acrylic and rustoleum enamel).

The rustoleum is plain white, and seems to match the white they'd used before exactly(interlux yacht enamel white) so easy to get more of if I can find a source that still sells it.
The acrylic is from the commercial paint store, and I have the colour codes for it, it's a bit warmer and only semi-gloss instead of full gloss.

Should I get a mildewcide additive, I had planned to avoid it based on what I'd read, but not spending so much time cleaning would be a big plus!

Tardis: You primed behind insulation? I have been on the fence about that, decided not to since I wasn't using the mold/mildew resistant stuff, but it would be nice not to have things growing back there. I went with 1/2" closed cell foam all over, reflectix only in compartments that it is hard to work with.
Old 11-11-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road

If you have a Home Hardware store on the west coast see if the carry a paint called fishermans paint. It is good for docks warfs dorries and anything above the water line. I did the whole interior of my 31 footer 5 years ago and it has held up like new. I also painted the hull of my dingey and it cleaned it up 10 fold. Good luck
Old 11-11-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

I agree with use of a mildiced primer and paint, but before you prime and after the old paint is removed, clean with a bathroom mold and mildew cleaner. Wear a face mask and ventilate.

Wipe down then clean again and repeat a few more times until you are confident that all mold spores have been removed.
Old 11-11-2012
Rogue Musician

TheTardis is on a distinguished road
Interior painting time!

Yes, I figured that I would cover all the bases! Since I was leaving a small air space behind the reflectix I want to do anything I could to help minimize any mildew that could/will grow. I forgot to mention, I also used the mildew cleaner as well. As far as toxicity goes, my boat is well ventilated. I also opted to put up new wood paneling in the V-birth instead of the paint. There is still the primer behind though.
'78 Pearson 30, #1099
Old 11-11-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Damnit, Everything I was coming across online said not to use mildew/mold resistant paints due to toxicity issues in a small enclosed space like a boat. Especially since I live aboard.

The ones referenced are designed for indoor living spaces - their supposed toxicity is not a concern.

Quote:
I am still a bit worried about the toughness of the acrylic surface vs the enamel, but considering the poor adhesion of the previous enamel I guess it doesn't matter.
They are plenty tough - mine stayed in good shape for nine years until I sold the boat.

Quote:
Should I get a mildewcide additive, I had planned to avoid it based on what I'd read, but not spending so much time cleaning would be a big plus!
No - the bath & kitchen paint has enough - you COULD create a toxicity problem by mixing your own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-11-2012

I think the acrylic paint I have doesn't have any in it. Since I read on here and elsewhere about the concerns about the toxins, I looked for just straight acrylic paint. So I'd be adding to a non mildew resistant paint to begin with.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2012

I have concorbium mold killer, I was a bit concerned about paint adhesion over top of it though they say it's ok. What mold killer do you use? I use pine sol(pine oil stays on the surface a bit like tea tree oil I think) with a bit of bleach added for the initial killing. Effective but I don't want an oil under the paint, I have a commercial paint prep which is basically bleach according to the msds.

On a side note with tea tree oil, I find it funny that we are worried about vocs in paint, yet the selling point of Canberra gel is that it is so high in vocs.

I have thought about using alcohol instead, something to get the tea tree oil to blend better essentially, as it didn't actually dissolve in water but stays suspended. As a bonus alcohol helps remove water instead of adding it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk