SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   First time boat buyer (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/94005-first-time-boat-buyer.html)

Gregarrr 11-11-2012 05:39 PM

First time boat buyer

Hi all, my wife and I are looking at getting into sailing. (I grew up with sail boats, C&C 29). We plan on taking lessons and being serious about it. We are looking at a CS 36 as a first time boat. We have two children and want to go away for weekends etc. Will we be able to handle this boat or should we look at maybe a 33 or 30?

Thanks in advance.

bljones 11-11-2012 05:47 PM

Re: First time boat buyer

Welcome aboard. you're gonna like this place.

A well-laid out and well sorted 36 foot boat is not significantly harder to handle than a 30 foot boat. On the contrary, some find that the higher stability and bigger working spaces fo the larger boat make a novice couple's job easier.
A CS 36 is a GREAT choice, but you can't go wrong with a CS 33, either, at a slightly lower price point with arguably lower maintenance and dockage costs.

Buy the best boat you can find for 80% of your boat budget.

Gregarrr 11-11-2012 06:40 PM

Thanks bljones, that is what I figured. We started off at a much higher price and then realized we can get a great boat for a lot less.

bljones 11-11-2012 06:54 PM

Before you pull the trigger on any particular boat, i encourage you to attend the Toronto boat Show in january. it is a great way to get a load of info all in one place and fine tune your needs and wants in a used boat, while getting a chance to meet some of the more prominent brokers and chandlers first hand.

And I might even buy you a beer.

chef2sail 11-12-2012 10:13 AM

Gregarr,

Welcome aboard to SN.

CS36 is a great boat for what you want. Boat shows are great place as BL has said to meet brokers, and ealso the vendors for a variety of sailboat prodicts which you may eventually need.

I would at the same time start visiting boat yards and brokers. Google some in your area and try and get on some boats and see them. Search yachtworld.com for boats. Maybe settle on a broker to work for you as sometimes that helps facillitate you getting on a boat. Before chosing one as your boating friends. Also be advised that you have to watch the brolkers also for competing interests.

Visit a CS and a other boats of different brands. Tartan, Sabre, C&C, benetau for example of the size you want before refining down to maybe two that you REALLY like. Then look specifically for good examples of those to purchase. Choose the boat in the best condition overall. Use people here as a reasource in the threads. Check the owners group to the boat brand also

Before buying a boat of the sixe you are looking at. HAVE IT SURVEYED

Good luck in you quest

Dave

Gregarrr 11-12-2012 12:25 PM

Thanks Dave, it's good to hear pretty much the same advice from most people. Just dropped off the application to the Yacht Club I want to join yesterday. It's all becoming real!

Greg