SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Broken mast step hinge (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/94039-broken-mast-step-hinge.html)

Chartreuse 11-12-2012 08:19 PM

Broken mast step hinge

Hello all,
Because I failed to remove a shackle whilst unstepping, I have broken my mast step hinge. The boat is a grampian 26'. What do I do? Should I remove the broken piece from the base of the mast and have a welder make it one? does anyone have the part? Went to Klackospars website, on the grampian FAQ suggestion, and was of little help.
Here are some images:
imgur: the simple image sharer

imgur: the simple image sharer

Any info or help is greatly appreciated.
-Anton

Capt.aaron 11-12-2012 08:24 PM

Re: Broken mast step hinge

Tabernackle...I just had one custom made for my 28 footer. If you know the mast make, Hood, isomat, etc. you can order one from the manufacture. I found it easier to have one made as my boat and mast are 47 years old.

Chartreuse 11-12-2012 08:38 PM

Is the tabernacle the track in which the hinge rests? Im a bit confused on that term. Capt Aaron, where did you have yours fabricated? And may I ask the price range? Thanks for the reply.

Capt.aaron 11-12-2012 08:46 PM

The whole unit is a the tabernackle. A hingeing mast step is a tabernaclke. I had Chip at Headless parrot welding in Clearwater Fla. make mine. I got the industry discount and it was thrown in with a bunch of work I was having done, It's going to cost you a couple of hundred buck's either way.

Chartreuse 11-16-2012 08:10 PM

Thank you for the reply. Im told this is weldable, so that is my first route. If that wont work, I am in contact with Klacko spars, who is offering the part at around $190. Sound right to you?

Capt.aaron 11-16-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chartreuse (Post 949456)
Thank you for the reply. Im told this is weldable, so that is my first route. If that wont work, I am in contact with Klacko spars, who is offering the part at around $190. Sound right to you?

Yes.

Faster 11-16-2012 09:00 PM

If you can get a new part for $200 then that's probably the way to go unless you have connections and can get one made for materials cost alone... As what looks like an aluminum casting, while welding is possible I don't think it's the 'right' way to go.

rugosa 11-16-2012 09:25 PM

The 2nd pic has what appears to be casting flaw (view it upside down), something that would not be detected or maybe even detectable way back when they were made, so welding really should not be a choice. That mast section was so common in the the '70's for boats that size and Klacko likely has a stockpile, the mold or a welded replacement that should be good for another 40? years. We used that section for Contessa 26 mast and also for larger boat booms. Spars have definitely come a long way.