Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
Re: More head room

I exclusively sail on lake Erie in nothing bigger than 3 footers so I dont really need to worry about a wave washing it overboard. The top would stay the same just be raised by 8 to 12 inches (havent decided yet). The old set up raised the top 16 inches on 4-3/8" hollow aluminum rods and I couldnt make out how they would have locked in place. I assume the old pop top wasnt ment to be used underway. As far as how it will look. It will look original to the boat. Last year I got this boat as a project boat and did a complete overhaul on it. Stripped the boat back to just the fiberglass hull. Then replaced all structural components before installing all new interior. It is significantly stronger than the original build. The attachment to the boat and the top shouldnt be a problem as there is a 3" vertical flat surface to attach to on both components. The concerns I have are about the boat getting top heavy and overall performance. Also keep in mind that I dont race. I mostly do day sailing although next summer I plan to do a weekend trip or 2 but still within 5 miles of shore on lake Erie.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2012

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

The best feature for head room is a tilt steering wheel. Ooops...I should have read the entire post. ;-)
ABH3 Boyer likes this.
Old 11-15-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

What you really should do is make some line drawings of what you are planning. Then we could get into a healthy asthetics argument.

I guess, I don't really see that it would add that much weight. May be missing something.

I have a pretty tall dog house. It is a bit of a PITA to see around. However, I have standing headroom in the cabin in a 27' boat, so I shouldn't complain. John Vigor thinks it is unsightly.
Old 11-18-2012

SailingSloop is on a distinguished road

My thought is to use wooden kayak construction ideas to build a strong, lightweight structure. Bending thinner plywood into a curve adds lots of strength.
Old 11-27-2012

If anyone cares I did it and it turned out great. I will follow up with a few pictures next weekend. My phone dosnt take good night pictures and I leave for work in the dark and come home in the dark.
Old 11-27-2012

tschmidty is on a distinguished road

Definitely like to see pics.
Old 11-27-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Ya might want to give consideration to foam core FRP construction. Much lighter than alternatives, easier to shape curves and angles and is buoyant, to boot! Large, flat areas from sheet; curves, rounded joints from lams or blocks.

HTH,
Paul
Old 11-27-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
Ya might want to give consideration to foam core FRP construction. Much lighter than alternatives, easier to shape curves and angles and is buoyant, to boot! Large, flat areas from sheet; curves, rounded joints from lams or blocks.

HTH,
Paul
Great, except foam goes for like $200 a sheet...
Old 11-27-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Don;t know where you sourced yer foam but there's 2 part liquid available that will produce quite a bit of pourable for one helluva lot less than $200/sheet.

http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

In 2#, 3#, 4# and 8#/cu.ft. densities available for varying degrees of structural use . The 4# is recommended for boat decks and moderate loads while the 8# is useful for structural infill. Ya could buy enuff 2# to cast a block large enuff to damm'd near sculpt a boat for $200

I've used box-store urethane sheet for slab work. Never saw any that exceeded $22/sheet unless it was very much thicker than 1". I've molded over common construction foam; both pourable and sheet .

It works better to have a mold to build in; but outer lams are entirely possible; given that you need to undersize and work out to finished dimensions. Look fwd to lotsa fill and fairing

Might be my solution to rotten cored decks! Section out and remove rot. Clean and fill/inject. Pop section back on and clamp. Bingo! new foam core deck!

HTH

Last edited by deltaten; 11-27-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2012

I got home early enough to snap a few quick pictures. The exterior is complete with the exception of adding a large piece of lexon to the back hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
More head room-cheektowaga-20121127-00329.jpg   More head room-cheektowaga-20121127-00330.jpg   More head room-cheektowaga-20121127-00331.jpg   More head room-cheektowaga-20121127-00332.jpg   More head room-cheektowaga-20121127-00333.jpg