Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: The Cruising Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybyknight View Post
Brian, Glad you and your family are enjoying the good cruising life, and have so many pleasant social experiences. Pray tell, how small is the smallest boat in your cruising fraternity?
Thanks in advance.
Dick
You know, I'm not sure. THere is a young couple here that sails a 2x something. I would guess maybe 27 feet?

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Great observations Brian,

Now that I'm landlocked (a temporary affliction I assure you!) one of the things that I miss is the livaboard community. We chose a house with close neighbors, but even at that we are close neighbors with only 3 houses around us and seim-close with 2 others. A couple more we recognize and wave to.

On the docks, I knew everybody. It was a big marina peopled my many livaboards and I was friends with many of them. We could borrow things, get a helping hand, receive advice (asked for and not) and on and on.

I remember lamenting that in the apartments I lived in I didn't even know what all of my NEXT DOOR neighbors looked like. The ones I did I never spoke to. Once on the boat it was instantly different.

I guess we all have the "crazy like us" in common.

MedSailor
I remember that too. In college, it was a bit different. But afterwards, in the city, it was not. I sometimes wonder if the people change or the environment?

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-14-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
What you describe is one of the reasons we encourage new liveaboards to stay in a marina for a while, just to get the community that's lacking if (for example) you are living tied to a friends dock in a waterfront house - just not the same.

Visited St Pete (by land) for 3 days a few years ago when I was there for a meeting and always thought it would be fun to come back by boat for a season.
It is one of the best communities I have been to yet. Let's see: Met a fellow and his girl friend at the pool. He was on his second circumnavigation on his Bristol Channel Cutter. Met another doctor fellow two weeks back or so that had already finished one circum. Funny thing was, i have a pic of him in the TOrtugas when we had a big cruisers pot luck about four years ago. Never knew it until he left. THe fellow off my bow is now in the Atlantic delivering across from Spain to VI. Had dinner last night with a couple who have been everywhere, from Pacific to Atlantic and Panama canal, galapagos, etc. Great couple. Folks across my bow sailed over from Texas not long after us. Good friends. THe fellow off my port spent his years with his kids cruising the carrib from Ecuador to Brazil and all the west and eastern carrib. He raised his kids on his boat as a single dad. Funny thing is Knothead knows him too (a small world). Met Knothead the other day, btw. Super fellow. The couple we hang out with a lot spent a whole lot of his time delivering from carrib to US. However... there are also folks here that are brand new to sailing. THey are just as apt to join in and be a part of the family. I could list them, but there are too many.

Point is that there are all kinds here and it's a tight niche group. We all get along and have fun together. We all have a similar interest and are happy to share. It's a good place, St Pete. I can't wait to see what Annapolis is like and meet a whole other group. I'm curious how diverse they will be? Probably similar I suspect.

Take care J.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-14-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Others say that cruising means when you remember the names of people's dogs its time to move on!

(I hope fatty is the name of you pet, and not the nickname of one of the kids! )

The cruising community can be very different too... Secluded anchorages in far off countries infrequently visited can at times get boring. So when a new yacht arrives and drops anchor it's all hands to the dinghy to go find out what they're about, invitation to drinks, help sort out he local geography - becoming best friends in 24 hours. And then next day moving on knowing you'll never see those people again in life....

There's still a community... But instead of giving a hand because they have helped you, you gotta give a hand to anyone you meet to earn the karma points to get assistance when needed somewhere else by different folks.

Mark
Hehe! Yeah, Fatty is my English Bulldog. Worthless fat animal, I tell ya. Love her though.

We see a good bit of transients too, but not as much as say the keys or other locales further south of here. St pete seems more a place to recharge your batteries than a hub on your way through (like Marathon, for example).

Just my opinion of course.

Take care,

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-14-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
We will be leaving soon(spring 2014) and will share a drink when we catch up with you Brian.
Look forward to it. Bring sunblock!!

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-14-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
While we've never lived aboard, we do spend a lot of time aboard in season. We've also known a number of people who did live in liveaboard marinas and have seen/felt the camaraderie that seems to be the norm in those situations.

It's not unusual in BC to share progressive anchorages with the same group, nor to see the same boats in different places night after night.. if you're not shy this can lead to new friendships, social gatherings in a similar way. Our club organizes an annual summer flotilla cruise (plus monthly weekend rendesvous') and it's a great situation for all involved too.

Nothing like being able to gather together with a group of like-minded people. A big plus in this environment is that it's almost inevitable that somebody among the group will be an expert, or at least an experienced amateur, and be able to help with a wide array of issues, problems and repairs in a way that could avoid a significant marina or mechanic's bill.
THe personalities of the PNW and here are very similar. In fact, the young couple I mentioned are from Portland! I love the PNW for the people and the summer. THe winters just suck. But in spite of it all, you still find some of the best folks up there. Everyone is friendly.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-14-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
I agree with Brian, but would extend that to include most Sailneters and other online sailing groups.
Yep. I agree for the most part. We do on occasion get the oddball, but that is just life I suppose. THat's why i often get so perplexed when I see folks on here arguiing and giving each other a hard time. It is so different from the life I see and experience with other boaters, it is hard to comprehend. I think the same people that don't like each other on SN may very well be good friends on the docks. It is a failure of the internet. But it also gives us a lot of positives, including meeting more people than we ever could.

Great observation PB.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-15-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

Brian, I really enjoyed reading this as it evokes a lot of thoughts and emotions about the dreams and goals of my wife and I. We spend a lot of time reading, researching and planning for a day when we can sell the house, buy a bigger boat, and go. Which leads me to....

a slightly off topic issue, and maybe too personal, but I can't help asking how anyone who lives aboard and cruises with their family is able to do it from a financial standpoint.

I know different people do it in different ways-- work sporadically, work online, commute from the boat to a place of work, or be independently wealthy. In our situation, our only realistic option for now would be to live aboard and continue to commute to a 9-5, which is not appealing to either of us. Or we could quit our jobs, sell the house, and probably cruise for 3-5 years and then be penniless. Also not appealing (maybe if it was just the two of us, but won't do that with kids).

So, care to quench my curiosity?
Old 11-15-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Others say that cruising means when you remember the names of people's dogs its time to move on!

(I hope fatty is the name of you pet, and not the nickname of one of the kids! )

The cruising community can be very different too... Secluded anchorages in far off countries infrequently visited can at times get boring. So when a new yacht arrives and drops anchor it's all hands to the dinghy to go find out what they're about, invitation to drinks, help sort out he local geography - becoming best friends in 24 hours. And then next day moving on knowing you'll never see those people again in life....

There's still a community... But instead of giving a hand because they have helped you, you gotta give a hand to anyone you meet to earn the karma points to get assistance when needed somewhere else by different folks.

Mark
Mark--- You old Rattle Snake. I wondered if/when you'd resurface, or if you'd gotten shanghi'd in Colombia. Do you still have that fish living in you galley thru-hull or did the environmentalists catch up with you?

Reading Brian's post, you can see why I suggested you visit the west coast of Florida. I think the Fed's are still admitting Aussies, at least on a parole basis, you should give us a visit, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-15-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
I think the same people that don't like each other on SN may very well be good friends on the docks. It is a failure of the internet- Cruisingdad
I agree with this. The internet doesnt allow you to speak to the other person face to face. Even in my business which is highly internet dependent at times, there is no substitute for the importance of face to face interpersonal relationships. I dont let peoples opinions of what I see on Sailnet effect whether I want to meet the poster in person. In fact I have never yet met one person who I have met in person from SN who I didnt enjoy meeting.

When you come north to the Chessie you will find just like you have where you have traveled a very diverse group. Some race, some cruise, some have many years experience, some are just starting. Its one of the reasons We love hosting the Rondevous in June.

My self gratification is seeing many ( usually 50-75) sailors from the Chesapeake interacting and meeting at the same time. With the support of a core group which changes this has remained sucessful and well suppported. I think you see the same "cruisers commradiere" in that group of people. At the very least it is a great networking happening. Many of us raft up during the season opr even see each other in anchorages and give the high sign. Winhwing...I am working on the "Lions of the Chesapeake Flag".

I also have seen this " cruisers commradiere" when we cruise north to LI Sound and NE and have met others on SN who I have just corresponded with on line. They have always been very helpful and supportive as well as nice.

Brian when you come up here you will see a great sailing community on the Chesapeake.
Annapolis is just one of the cities. It is urban and expensive and the state capitol. It is definately a hub for sailing. I hope you get a chance to "gunkhole" some with some of us and see the true beauty of this region up its rivers, creeks and tributaries. Most of us avoid Annapolis during the cruising season and look forward to finding anchorages which are quiet and scenic. The "magic" of the Chesapeake is that there is a new anchorage around every turn in each of its tributaries.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 11-15-2012 at 09:24 AM.