SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Do you Sail and Sailnet? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/94076-do-you-sail-sailnet.html)

Classic30 11-14-2012 12:22 AM

Do you Sail and Sailnet?

It seems that most of us here enjoy our sailing and never get enough time to do it.

Perhaps some of us (the ones with the huge post counts!) spend too much time replying to endless queries and pointless debates when the time would be better spent on the water?

Armed with the Sailnet App, an I-gadget and a suitable wireless connection to the outside world, is it actually possible to do both?? :eek:

Pictures please! (for Smacky's BFSailnetS collection of course...) :D

tdw 11-14-2012 01:13 AM

Re: Do you Sail and Sailnet?

All I can say is that my post count plummets from Friday evening on.

My tiller thingy is quite chatty btw but that damn fishfinder is a stuck up bugger and will only talk to the wheel.

PBzeer 11-14-2012 01:23 AM

Once I finally get back out next spring, I'm sure my post count will slow down, though not all that much, as long as I have access (wireless has changed since I stopped to work).
As a singlehander who usually anchors out, I usually catch up on Sailnet at the end of the day, or even during the day when I can run on autopilot. I've even used Sailnet to get answers for problems experienced while underway. But even at a marina, I'd rather log on, then spend money in a bar or restaurant (except of course, when meeting fellow Sailneters or other friends).

Classic30 11-14-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBzeer (Post 948126)
As a singlehander who usually anchors out, I usually catch up on Sailnet at the end of the day, or even during the day when I can run on autopilot. I've even used Sailnet to get answers for problems experienced while underway. But even at a marina, I'd rather log on, then spend money in a bar or restaurant (except of course, when meeting fellow Sailneters or other friends).

That's pretty impressive, John.. very organised! I assume you use a cellular connection under way??

(..of course you know the saying around here - no pics, didn't happen! ;) :D )

aa3jy 11-14-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley18 (Post 948111)
Perhaps some of us (the ones with the huge post counts!) spend too much time replying to endless queries and pointless debates when the time would be better spent on the water?

Especially the snipper :gunner types that hide in 'Off Topic' forum...

PBzeer 11-14-2012 07:29 AM

Cellular, but not through a phone. The laptop connects directly to the cell network. Interestingly, I could often connect to the network via laptop, even though not with my phone.

jameswilson29 11-14-2012 07:56 AM

Absolutely not. I would prefer to follow this pattern:
1. Sail as much as possible, commensurate with my work and family obligations.
2. Resort to sailnet in an attempt to gain knowledge and re-experience sailing.
3. Become frustrated with idiotic posts, trolls, and sock puppets on sailnet.
4. Lash out at said idiotic posts, trolls, and sock puppets on sailnet.
5. Regret my maliciousness, delete posts, and take temporary break from sailnet.
6. Return to sailnet for more knowledge, preposterously vowing to be gentler and kinder.
7. Repeat ad nauseum.

zz4gta 11-14-2012 09:25 AM

Around 70 starts and 65 days on the water. 311 hours this season and it's not over yet (I'm in denial). That's down from 357 hours last year.

So yeah, I post, but mostly sail.

capttb 11-14-2012 11:04 AM

Too right, I've got to quit wasting time with pointless posts, hey, wait a minute, is this a trick ?

TerralTheSeeker 11-14-2012 11:13 AM

I'll tell you what - as soon as I figure out how to keep the boat from careening off in one direction or another when I take my hand off the tiller for one lousy second to pick up my iphone, I'm gonna be posting while on the water.

I tried steering with my foot last Friday - no good at it just yet.

Can't trust Siri to watch out for traffic while I'm typing. She's useless.