SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Is that a SailNet member in the anchorage? How would you know? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/94104-sailnet-member-anchorage-how-would-you-know.html)

MedSailor 11-14-2012 11:28 PM

Is that a SailNet member in the anchorage? How would you know?

I think we have a really good community here, and once in a while I hear of a member or two getting together in person, or a SailNet gathering like Chef2Sail or Jrd22 has arranged in the past. Mostly though, we meet on the internet and not in person it seems. Odds are, we compete in the same races, share anchorages, and sail past each other more often than we realize and never know it.

What if the boat sharing the anchorage (encroaching on my swinging room no less!!) is a SailNetter as well? Unless it is one of the handful of SailNetter's who's boat names I know, I would never know it was one of us.

I have an idea. I think we SailNet enthusiasts should have some kind of identifying marker that signals who we are. How about a SailNet burgee? I am not organized or inclined to invite local members out every time I go sailing, but on the other hand if I pulled up to an Island in the San Juans and saw a SailNet burgee it might be fun to row up and say "Hey, I'm MedSailor on SailNet, who are you?" Or maybe "I'm MedSailor on SailNet, got any extra rum?":p

What do you think? Sticker? Burgee? Some identifying mark with cryptic symbols that nobody else can recognize? Perhaps we could have a secret handshake too, or a secret wave that we save for passing Welshmen....

Well? What do you think? Anyone care to have a go at the burgee design?

MedSailor

bljones 11-14-2012 11:47 PM

Re: Is that a SailNet member in the anchorage? How would you know?

I just look for the person sitting in the cockpit pounding on a keyboard and yelling at the screen of their laptop.
Then I look at the boat.
If its a fat bottom cruiser, they are likely a sailnetter.
If the boat is not fiberglass, they are probably a wbf poster.
If the boat has racing pretensions, they are probably posting to sailing anarchy.
if they are geriatric and the boat looks like it hasn't left the slip in a while, it's probably cruiser's forum.
If they are yelling at the screen in portuguese, they're probably surfing anything-sailing.

If the women aboard are cute and laughing at the wit of the handsome gent licking his eyebrows while typing furiously, you've walked down Dock Six.

If you're seeing kids sanding a pair of hulls while a pasty dude in a wife beater sips angostura, you've stumbled into Smack's backyard. Run before you get pressed into service painting.

In any event they likely have a spare beer, so you might as well introduce yourself.

MedSailor 11-14-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bljones (Post 948645)
I just look for the person sitting in the cockpit pounding on a keyboard and yelling at the screen of their laptop.
Then I look at the boat.
If its a fat bottom cruiser, they are likely a sailnetter.
In any event they probably have a spare beer, so you might as well introduce yourself.

Here is a photo of the stern of a sister ship (Formosa 41). I guess I fit the stereotype.:) Oh, and since I brew beer on the boat in 5 gallon batches, yes, I have a spare for you. ;)

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/2/0/...?1227491836000

On the other hand, since I have no internet on the boat and don't take my laptop sailing, you'd never know. Unless I had another way to alert those "in the know"....

MedSailor

Faster 11-15-2012 12:01 AM

There is a Sailnet burgee... I have one. They were issued maybe 4 or so years ago, and may still be available.

EDIT.. in the sailnet store

http://shop.sailnet.com/advanced_sea...3C%3F%3D%3F%3E

floridajaxsailor 11-15-2012 12:06 AM

sailnet sailing jackets or t shirts...
perhaps a monthly thread of the hotspots
such as who is in the Abacos on January 1
-JD

MedSailor 11-15-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridajaxsailor (Post 948651)
sailnet sailing jackets or t shirts...
perhaps a monthly thread of the hotspots
such as who is in the Abacos on January 1
-JD

A sticky or thread, or even a sub-section would be a great place to post where you are going and who to look out for. Great idea!

MedSailor

bljones 11-15-2012 12:31 AM

Great idea, med.

TheTardis 11-15-2012 02:00 AM

Is that a SailNet member in the anchorage? How would you know?

Can we get decoder rings too please!!! Really though, nice idea med!

blt2ski 11-15-2012 02:17 AM

As MUCH as a thread that says where you will be and when in your boat.......DEPENDING upon if you own/rent live somewhere other than ON the boat.......you just potentially left the door open for unwanted type visitors when NOT in you on-land type abode! Not sure what this all has to do with the price of Tea in China........but you get the point!

With that in mind tho........probably better to try and pm folks that are near you to have a get together etc.......I do not brew beer in my boat! altho may have to run into medsailor and see how good his brewski's are!

In the mean time.....I am probably as close to anyone in my slip at my marina........as Dodenja is literally across the way from me! ie he is slip 51, I am 52, on the same dock at the same marina. belong to the same YC..........if anyone remembers tenuki who had some great posts a few years ago, he is on the T dock........stillinshock is on the dock to the north of me, same entry gate.............

Marty

chef2sail 11-15-2012 09:40 AM

I am currently designing a Sailnet Community flag for the Chesapeake sailors which came out of a post a while back when the poster disparagingly called us the "Lions of the Chesapeake".

I number of us took to the phrase and liked it.

We have one of the old Sailnet Burgees...its is somehwat worn though.

Dave