Anyone know anything about Precision Sail Loft? - Page 5 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 01-23-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
unrealreality is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone know anything about Precision Sail Loft?

Oh Daddy!

My reason for being here has nothing to do with "being good" at wasting my time playing around in these sandboxes. How much of your life have you wasted with this nonsense?

The only reason for baiting them was the hope that someone from that "company" would respond with a public statement.

And luckily, they did.

This thread make its way to the attorney in the morning. It is the last little piece that I required.

You folks should be ashamed. I am sure you are the same people who bitch and moan about this country losing jobs to China.

Yet, for whatever reason you want to defend a company that is nothing more than a shell for a no-name loft in China that essentially steals people work and calls it their own.

I can only assume you would have no problem if someone stole your car, boat or robbed your house.

It really isn't that different.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #42  
Old 01-23-2013
Geoff54's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 675
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone know anything about Precision Sail Loft?

Hey Smack
This unreal child keeps calling you Daddy! Anything we should know?
smackdaddy likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #43  
Old 01-23-2013
smackdaddy's Avatar
Last Man Standing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,741
Thanks: 74
Thanked 62 Times in 56 Posts
Rep Power: 8
smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Anyone know anything about Precision Sail Loft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealreality View Post
Oh Daddy!

My reason for being here has nothing to do with "being good" at wasting my time playing around in these sandboxes. How much of your life have you wasted with this nonsense?

The only reason for baiting them was the hope that someone from that "company" would respond with a public statement.

And luckily, they did.

This thread make its way to the attorney in the morning. It is the last little piece that I required.

You folks should be ashamed. I am sure you are the same people who bitch and moan about this country losing jobs to China.

Yet, for whatever reason you want to defend a company that is nothing more than a shell for a no-name loft in China that essentially steals people work and calls it their own.

I can only assume you would have no problem if someone stole your car, boat or robbed your house.

It really isn't that different.
Bleh, bleh, bleh.

You'll notice I haven't defended anyone in this thread. I've simply called you out because you're making some very strong (potentially libelous) public accusations against this dude and his organization (who's info IS public) from behind an anonymous keyboard.

You accuse, you threaten, you name call, etc. - yet you offer no proof that what you say is true. Nor do you come clean with your own business-related info to show how you have been the harmed party in all this. You just tell us to trust you...even though you started out in this thread pretending you were just trying to order a sail with your jar-based coinage*.

No, I'm not defending Precision by any means. I'm just saying that thus far, judging by this thread, he's way more a man.

You really should speak to that attorney. Thank goodness you have that jar.

*
From this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealreality View Post
Update On Precision Sails

I have been saving my loose change for some time to buy a new headsail.

Have seen several ads for Precision Sails over the past couple of months so I decided to give them a call and get a quote.

This is one very strange operation!

Their site says the are open seven days a week. I have tried calling over and over again and no one ever picks up the phone. Finally, I left a message. Later that NIGHT, some dude calls and we start to talk about what I wanted.

The guy really didn't seem to know a whole lot about sails in general and it made me pretty uneasy. I did receive a quote. But they quoted it in a very light weight Dacron.

I went back to the computer and started to take a closer look at the site and noticed several things. First of all, they say they offer a three year warranty. When you search around the site to find details of it, you get a real shocker. It says they warrant absolutely nothing they sell!

Since I live near Seattle, I called an acquaintance in Vancouver where they are "supposedly" located. Their site says their office, loft and "wind tunnels" are there. My friend started to laugh when I asked about them.

He said the company is talk of the town. Said several people including a local sailmaker went to the the address on their site and there is nothing there! No office, no sail loft, no wind tunnell (whatever the heck that is).

That pretty much ended my hope of getting a new genoa this month. Will kepp tossing loose change in the jar.
To this...


Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealreality View Post
Geoff,

Not that it makes any difference, I am not a competitor.

In fact, I would lay odds that I have designed sails for Precision and they do not even know it.

There is no loft, they do not design their sails and the design drawings on their site are in violation of intellectual and copyright law.

How do I know? One of them is mine.

As far as disclosing anything about my personal life? Get real.

Go ahead and kill the messenger. It doesn't matter to me in the least.

I do hope Darryl does return though. Another question I have is why they only warranty acrylic UV protection on head sails for only 1 year. Last time I checked, Sunbrella carried a 10 year warranty and Recasen, 5 years.

I have no problem with resellers. Although Judy B would like you to believe she is a "sailmaker", she isn't. She isn't a designer aNd she has never spent back breaking hours in a 100 degree building on her knees.

I have no doubt she is an educated person and knows her product. But Hyde builds their sails in the Philippines and some of their reps actually have them built in China to get a better price.

With that being said, I would buy a sail from Judy if the price was right. However, I would take a big pass on Precision.

Spend wisely or not. It is your choice.
timangiel likes this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-23-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #44  
Old 01-23-2013
Irrationally Exuberant
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,296
Thanks: 6
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 7
arf145 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone know anything about Precision Sail Loft?

Wow, this got pathetic really fast. So Unreal is just liar. Not a good way to make your case.
__________________
Tom K

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #45  
Old 01-23-2013
jblumhorst's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
jblumhorst is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone know anything about Precision Sail Loft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealreality View Post
Geoff,

I have no problem with resellers. Although Judy B would like you to believe she is a "sailmaker", she isn't. She isn't a designer aNd she has never spent back breaking hours in a 100 degree building on her knees.

I have no doubt she is an educated person and knows her product. But Hyde builds their sails in the Philippines and some of their reps actually have them built in China to get a better price.

With that being said, I would buy a sail from Judy if the price was right. However, I would take a big pass on Precision.

Spend wisely or not. It is your choice.

I am writing to correct to a mildly insulting and totally dumb-ass remark UnReal made about me in his post.

he accuses me of trying to trick people into thinking I have worked as a "real sailmaker" -- sweating on my knees in a 100 degree loft. Nope. Never did.

I always sign my posts as an Independent Representative for Hyde. I have used the word sailmaking or sailmaker generically. Hyde Sails is a "sailmaker" and I'm fortunate enough to be associated with them.

to everybody reading this thread:

Anybody who is interested in my role as an Independent Rep for Hyde can click on tabs on my website and read a full page description of what I do, and read all about Hyde's loft in the Philippines. My website has links to Hyde's main website, where everyone can read the impressive resumes of the design and production experts at Hyde.

My name is Judy Blumhorst, and I am proud to be a Hyde distributor. Hyde is "the real thing"

smackdaddy likes this.
__________________
Judy B
"She's my Little Deuce Sloop, you don't know what I got"
Independent Rep for Hyde Sails USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jblumhorst; 01-24-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #46  
Old 01-23-2013
MedSailor's Avatar
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anacortes PNW
Posts: 1,945
Thanks: 18
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 7
MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone know anything about Precision Sail Loft?

Hey everybody I think I found a photo of "Unreality!"



Yeah, I know. Posting that is a bit like piling on in a junior high locker room but I couldn't resist....

Unreality, anonymous accusations without citations is not going to fool anyone. Also, please don't pretend that you don't care what Smack or any of the rest of us think. You do, that's why you're here. If you really just wanted questions answered you would be talking with Precision Sails directly and not trying to air it all here on a public forum.

As for "you folks should be ashamed" well, yeah, you got me. I DO support moving jobs to China, stealing intellectual property, false advertising, fraud in every form, robbing of houses and stealing of cars and, of course, killing puppies. You got me.

MedSailor
smackdaddy likes this.
__________________
"True, your boat will outperform mine to windward, but my boat will always outperform yours at anchor." --MedSailor
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #47  
Old 01-23-2013
smackdaddy's Avatar
Last Man Standing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,741
Thanks: 74
Thanked 62 Times in 56 Posts
Rep Power: 8
smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Anyone know anything about Precision Sail Loft?

I love this place.
Resolute_ZS likes this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #48  
Old 01-24-2013
Geoff54's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 675
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone know anything about Precision Sail Loft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Hey everybody I think I found a photo of "Unreality!"
Now that guy looks like he's spent back breaking hours in a 100 degree building on his knees

Seriously, I think all this crap has pretty much eliminated the chance that we will get any further useful information. Hopefully KnottyGurl hasn't been completely put off and will report her experiences.

As Darryl appears to have avoided providing any information about where his sails are made and in that he didn't refute my guess that Precision is taking orders and then getting sails made by one of the off shore setups, I would say that is almost certainly the case. It would be nice to know who that is as it might give us some insight into the expected quality.

Unreal's behavior has been a little bizarre - I wonder who he/she actually is
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #49  
Old 03-15-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Morgan30Sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone know anything about Precision Sail Loft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealreality View Post

This thread make its way to the attorney in the morning. It is the last little piece that I required.
So how about an update on your court action, "unreal"? Put your money where your (big) mouth is.

Anybody want to place money on whether or not "unreal" has actually even been to a lawyer?

And you know how many jokes there are about lawyers? Well, there's only two jokes. All the rest of the stories are true!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #50  
Old 03-15-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saskatchewan Can.
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Hunterdon31 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Anyone know anything about Precision Sail Loft?

I purchased a sail from Precision. I ordered it in Dec. Did the measurements in Jan and received the sail the beginning of March. It took a little longer because the weight of cloth I wanted wasn't available so they upgraded me at no extra cost. But before they did they checked with me to see if was alright to do so.
So far I'm a happy sailor. It will be another 6 weeks before I get a chance to raise it but from what I've seen from opening the sail in the basement everything looks good.
They did what they said they would and on time.

Don
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bfs Big Freaking Sail Loft tommays Gear & Maintenance 1 03-07-2009 07:49 PM
Pensacola Sail Loft recommendation: beej67 Gear & Maintenance 2 02-09-2009 08:10 AM
Annapolis, MD sail loft? sail975 Gear & Maintenance 12 11-13-2008 11:57 PM
Looking for a good Sail Loft in MA/RI sailingdog Gear & Maintenance 10 07-03-2008 07:23 PM
Chaleston sail loft ncsc General Discussion (sailing related) 3 07-21-2006 10:46 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012