Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013

blakeyoung is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone know anything about Precision Sail Loft?

I placed my order for a crosscut main and 150% Genoa for my Catalina 22 on March 25 and they were both delivered in excellent condition on May 23. The only thing that was left off were the insignias I requested, which were credited back to my card. There was only one instance where the process seemed to be taking awhile and my emails were not being returned, but I called them directly and got the situation squared away. I will admit I was getting a little antsy there for a bit, but in the end it worked out great. Thus far I love them and they sail great.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2013

dnkcarls1 is on a distinguished road

I have been using my new precision mainsail for two Weeks. We have seen winds to 25 kts and have had great results. I am no expert on sails but for our coastal cruising needs we love this sail. It is more than we expected.
I cant swear where they were made but I had no issues contacting the company during construction.
What we noticed right away were leech line cleats on each reef, not cheap plastic ones.
Batton pockts were easy to use with double Velcro flaps to secure them. They will not be flying out.
The company was helpful in taking measurements in us standards then converting to metric. (get a free converter to double check ).
We will consider them for our new headsail this fall.
Old 06-18-2013

cjli is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cjli Send a message via Yahoo to cjli Send a message via Skype™ to cjli

I ordered a full batten main from Precision Sails at the end of May for may Pearson 31-2. After some detailed measurements and telephone advices, I was told it would be delivered in about 6 weeks. On June 6th I got an email that the main was being sent per Purolator and would arrive on Jun 17th. Yesterday I got my new main. It fits perfectly on the boat. The material and the workmanship are no different from my previous sails from UK, Dolye and Lam which I have ordered before. Very good sail at a very good price.
CJ
Pearson 31-2, #146
City Island, NY
Old 07-17-2013

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road

I would like to pose the thesis that sailmaking is no longer the "mysterious art" it once was. Sail design parameters are well-understood and now easily translated into computer design programs available to anyone. And computer-designed sails derived from accurate (amateur) measurements, lofted in a mass-production facility using low-cost labor and known-quality materials can probably serve the needs of most non-racers while costing notably less than products from "full-service" lofts.

Note though that this observation is different from doing business with entities with questionable business ethics and spotty track records. So many of these posts seem to presume discount-internet operations must also be shady. I cannot help wondering if much of this comes from the traditional lofts whose livelihoods are threatened by the new business model.

Cars used to be custom-ordered, but no longer. Travel agents, real estate agents, stock brokers all served as middlemen (read: added cost) before the internet put consumer and producer into closer contact. The internet-based lofts are simply a natural evolution of businesses driving costs out of their offerings wherever and whenever they can.
arf145 and MedSailor like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to hriehl1 For This Useful Post:
JoeLena (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Yeah, let's drive local companies out of business in our quest for lower costs. That always helps in the long run. Globalisation only helps a few people, and guess what, none of you on here are one of those few.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

hriehl1 has a point. Of course we don't want to drive local businesses out of business, but how exactly are sails that different now from other parts on your boat? Most of us don't have local craft houses where we get our blocks, spars, thru-hulls, ports, etc. And it doesn't mean that sail lofts are going away. But it could be that their market will be more of a niche, for racers, and those that just must have custom.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 07-17-2013

cjli is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cjli Send a message via Yahoo to cjli Send a message via Skype™ to cjli

We all want to support local business. But in the case of cruising sails there are not many locally made sails anymore. The last UK mainsail I have on my boat stated clearly Made in Hong Kong. I just don't think I want to pay the extra thousand dollars for the custom measurements and possible hand holding. I spent about an hour to measure the mast and the boom and talked twice on the phone with Precision Sail. I got a fitting sail in good material and workmanship. I will use the saving to upgrade other gears on the boat.

CJ

Pearson 31-2, #146
City Island, NY
Old 07-17-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Oh I get that, if UK and their like simply send measurements to their offshore makers, then absolutely, go direct to the offshore makers. I am more talking about the real sail lofts that actually have people that make the sails there. They have sewing machines, and sailmakers, to cut and stitch your sails in-house. They are going to be more expensive because they are paying North American wages to North American employees and paying North American taxes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2013

JoeLena is on a distinguished road

Ordered a jib and main a few months back and all is well.

I admit I am a total novice, and wouldn't know the difference between my sails and some from Doyle that cost 5 times as much. But the Precision sails seem to propel the boat just fine, and everything seems sewn together well.

Where I am there are not a lot, if any, local places to buy from, and even if there were I most likely would not be able to justify the cost of supporting a local business just because, no matter how novel the idea would be.

So to keep on topic: I ordered the sails and they arrived 2 weeks later with no drama. I would buy from them again. Carry on.
Old 07-18-2013

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Yeah, let's drive local companies out of business in our quest for lower costs. That always helps in the long run. Globalisation only helps a few people, and guess what, none of you on here are one of those few.
But what is the alternative that'll keep domestic (and higher-cost) providers in business? Tariffs? Embargoes? Those have never worked before as any kind of permanent solution.

Remember Wal-Mart's "Made in USA" campaign 12 or 15 years ago? A colossal failure. People want to buy cheap no matter where the goods come from.

Sails are no different and we see that now with the top-tier lofts subbing production to Asia-Pac. The internet-discount operators are just like Southwest and JetBlue airlines of 10-15 years ago... delivering the same basic product as the established competition but unencumbered by the legacy, old-business-model cost structures.

Sails produced overseas are here to stay... In four words... get used to it.