Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Anyone know anything about Precision Sail Loft?

I clicked on a banner add on SailNet for precision sail loft
Precision Sail Loft: Industries Fastest Sail Quotes

Their prices fall, frankly, into the "this might be too good to be true" category. Anyone know anything about them?

I don't need top end sails, but my boat came with some bottom end ones (Lee Sails) and I don't want those either! Any idea how I can figure out if they're any good?

MedSailor
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: My intention when starting this thread was to find out more about Precision Sails. Later in the thread we find out that some posts on this thread from brand new members were disingenuous. I think it's only fair to the new company I asked about, to move some of the information "from the horse's mouth" to the top of the thread.

Below is what Precision Sails posted on page 3 of this thread:

Hello SailNet Community,

First of all, I hope this isn’t against the SailNet posting guide lines. This is not meant to be an advertisement for Precision Sails but in order for us to address everyone’s questions I will need to write about us.

As you might know members of the SailNet community have been inquiring about Precision Sails Ltd. We would like to ensure we address all of the inquiries and thank everyone that has added value to this post. With the information gathered from this post we have taken action, enabling us to better serve our clients. We take feedback seriously as it helps us provide the best service to our clients.

Please feel free to call us anytime we would be glad to answer any questions. We are here to help!

Thank you,

We have replied to the questions that have been brought up in the thread. Please see our post on addressing the questions below.

We have updated the following pages to address your questions about us on our site:
-Home page
-How to Order page
-Warranty page
-Terms & Conditions page
-Image Gallery page

Please let me address the comments that were posted by some of our competitors:
As you will see if you read through this thread, many comments came directly from competitors to mislead readers about who we are and how we conduct business.

The best way for you to find out about us is to call and find out for yourself if we are the company that you would like to make your next sail. We are open long hours and are here to help.

I have tried to address all concerns below from this thread:

Company Address and Location
Our address is listed in the footer of every page.

Our head office is located at the address online and it is not meant for the general public to show up. Drop-ins are for clients only. If you are one of our clients we would be happy to show you around. We are set up this way so that we can provide clients with the greatest value sails possible.

Warranty
Warranty and Website Legal Statement has been updated and can be read in our footer.

As for our product warranty, we have updated and created a new page specifically explaining our product warranty. You can read our full product warranty by clicking “Sail Warranty” in our footer.

For your convenience I have also included it below

- 3 Year Limited Warranty against material and workmanship defects.
- 1 Year Warranty on both Acrylic and Dacron UV Protection. UV Protection is designed to be sacrificed to the weather instead of your sail. This makes it very difficult to warranty after 1 year.

Some posters mentioned a discrepancy between our warranty and our terms and conditions that our shopping cart automatically generated. The references you saw on the Terms and Conditions page are completely inaccurate and do not reflect our sail warranty in any way. This includes both the “Warranty Disclaimer” and the “Miscellaneous” clause that were mentioned in this thread.

We have updated our terms and conditions, now named Website Legal Statement, to reflect our real policy properly. The terms and conditions are for the USE of our website and the USE of our sails. This basically says if you use our sails then run ashore, sink your boat, etc we are not to be held liable. It also covers situations relating to discrepancies in website pricing and content.

Sail Cloth
Our website has thousands of sail listings and many options to go with it. When you adjust the LP of a headsail it will not adjust the product description associated with the product. The product description and the sail cloth weight are based on boat size and sail area of our 130% LP for a typical cruiser. To calculate the area of a head sail the LP is required. To complete your sail design, both area, size of boat, sailing conditions and style of sailing are taken into consideration. We are currently working on a way to adjust the displayed sail weight with options but at this time our site does not do this.

There are many factors that go into sail design, many of which are not shown on the website. We make all kinds of decisions when building your sail including slider size, size and material type of bolt rope, leech and foot line cleats, size of headboard, tack and clew corner rings and construction method, batten pocket sizes, seam types, thread types, and a whole lot more. We also make adjustments to the sail cloth weight when necessary.

Another words, the website cannot possibly account for every variable but that certainly does not mean these things are not factored into your sail design. There are many questions that must still be asked like what type of sailing you do? Where do you sail? These things all have an impact in the final sail cloth weight and sail design. Sometimes our clients get upgraded to the next weight of cloth, sometimes it stays the same and other times it goes down a bit.

We have taken all of your comments seriously and have made a major upgrade to our site. We hope this makes it clearer as to exactly what you get when you purchase a sail from us. We have updated all Cross Cut Dacron sails to show the exact specifications of cloth including material weight and cloth name.

What sailcloth is used in building our sails?
You can read all about the sail cloth used in our standard Dacron cross cut sails on the Challenge Sailcloth website. We have links on our “Cloth” page of our site.

Why are we not in directory assistance?
Our phone number is toll free and has not been listed in any phone book and is therefore not in directory assistance. Our customers mainly find us online and we see no benefit in directory assistance.

Do we have a business license?
Yes, of course. We do have a business license and are an incorporated company.

Getting a hold of us
Please make sure to call during business hours. If you are outside of business hours leave a message. We are open 7 days a week from 9am-7pm PST. We are open longer hours and more days of the week than any sail maker we have seen before. We try not to miss any calls but if all of our staff are busy be sure to leave us a message and we will call you right back.

I hope this addressed everyone’s concerns. Please feel free to call us anytime.

We look forward to building your next sail!

Thank you,
Darryl Hodgson
Precision Sails Ltd

Last edited by MedSailor; 02-08-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone know anything about Precision Sail Loft?

Never heard of them but inexpensive sails , of course I took a look.

The site is quite new (domain name was registered in July this year) but they have certainly figured out how to inundate google search with their own site… nothing much else shows up. Also the domain was registered through a proxy, so they don’t want you to know who they are – that makes me suspicious. They only registered the domain for one year which makes me think they might be testing the waters.

They don’t list an address or location just a phone number and email link and one of the “About US” links returned
Quote:
Company Name
Company Slogan

History of company, mission statement, etc.
Looks like a placeholder that they missed.

They have one review on the site that looks just too good to be true:
Quote:
Incredible Value Even Better Service November 3, 2012
Reviewer: Henry Mcloud from Ontario, Canada
I can't believe my sail was under $1,000! I can't believe after one phone call it was ordered and I could get on with the rest of my day. My sail has already been been shipped and i'm still waiting to hear back from other sail companies. Your service is unlike anything I have experienced before in the sail industry.

Thanks, i'm going to tell everyone about Precision Sail Loft.
Henry Mcloud
And, although they haven’t been around long they claim
Quote:
Our team is some of the most experienced sail makers in the business. We have made it our mission to provide quality and performance sails at a price that is affordable, without jeopardizing the materials that create your sails.
I stand ready to be corrected but I think we have a small marketing company, who want to look like a big loft, taking orders and then getting sails made by one of the off shore setups.

Just my opinion and observations. I could be completely wrong but I would approach with caution.

downeast450 and oysterman23 like this.
Old 11-21-2012

AnotherBoatBuck is on a distinguished road

I would be very cautious here.

Have attempted to contact them over the past week and no one answers the phone.

I cannot seem to access their website anymore either.
Old 11-21-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Med, I always thought Lee Sails made top quality cruising sails. They don't make good sails anymore?
Old 11-21-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Med, I always thought Lee Sails made top quality cruising sails. They don't make good sails anymore?
I don't like mine at all, but in fairness they are of unknown age. I've also never heard much in the way of good things about them.

I sure do like my Rolly Taskar headsail that we bought 2 or 3 years ago though. Taskar was right between the super low Lee sails quote and "all the rest". It was a substantial discount over any other loft (except lee) and the sail is great.

As far as precison, I did an online quote and asked a couple questions. My first question was "who makes your sails". They got back to me in 2 days or so with the following response:

Thank you for considering Precision Sails Ltd.

I would be glad to help answer all of your questions.

1)What type of sails are you looking for, Racing or Cruising? Precision Sails makes the majority of sails but are partnered with another very large well known loft for specific types of sails.

2)Most of the time we use Challenge Sailcloth for our Dacron sails. If you are looking for another cloth type just let us know.

3)We currently do not have the Mizzen sails in our quoting system. However we can still make them for you. Do you know the measurement for this sail? If you do I can get you a quote

Thank you for your time. If you have any additional questions please let me know. We are open 7 days a week and are here to help.

MedSailor
Old 11-21-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

If you want a reasonbly price good sail, check out Ullman's CAL sail. Not a dacron, but a panel sewn mylar scrim sail. Priced on par with decent dacron sails. NOT Lee cheap prices, You do get 2 reefs, draft stripes etc with them. Riced competitive from that regards. I have some, found them to pull almost on par as strings, better than dacron! Better on light wind days here in the sound, and do fine in heavy air also.

marty
Old 01-15-2013

unrealreality is on a distinguished road

Update On Precision Sails

I have been saving my loose change for some time to buy a new headsail.

Have seen several ads for Precision Sails over the past couple of months so I decided to give them a call and get a quote.

This is one very strange operation!

Their site says the are open seven days a week. I have tried calling over and over again and no one ever picks up the phone. Finally, I left a message. Later that NIGHT, some dude calls and we start to talk about what I wanted.

The guy really didn't seem to know a whole lot about sails in general and it made me pretty uneasy. I did receive a quote. But they quoted it in a very light weight Dacron.

I went back to the computer and started to take a closer look at the site and noticed several things. First of all, they say they offer a three year warranty. When you search around the site to find details of it, you get a real shocker. It says they warrant absolutely nothing they sell!

Since I live near Seattle, I called an acquaintance in Vancouver where they are "supposedly" located. Their site says their office, loft and "wind tunnels" are there. My friend started to laugh when I asked about them.

He said the company is talk of the town. Said several people including a local sailmaker went to the the address on their site and there is nothing there! No office, no sail loft, no wind tunnell (whatever the heck that is).

That pretty much ended my hope of getting a new genoa this month. Will kepp tossing loose change in the jar.
Old 01-15-2013

timangiel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealreality View Post

I went back to the computer and started to take a closer look at the site and noticed several things. First of all, they say they offer a three year warranty. When you search around the site to find details of it, you get a real shocker. It says they warrant absolutely nothing they sell
You weren't joking about that. Is this for real?

Warranty Disclaimer
This site and the materials and products on this site are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind, whether express or implied. To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, Precision Sail Loft disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Precision Sail Loft does not represent or warrant that the functions contained in the site will be uninterrupted or error-free, that the defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes the site available are free of viruses or other harmful components. Precision Sail Loft does not make any warrantees or representations regarding the use of the materials in this site in terms of their correctness, accuracy, adequacy, usefulness, timeliness, reliability or otherwise. Some states do not permit limitations or exclusions on warranties, so the above limitations may not apply to you.

They claim to be located in BC, but if you pursue any legal action you are supposed to be bound by the laws of california:
Miscellaneous
Your use of this site shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the state of California, U.S.A., without regard to choice of law provisions, and not by the 1980 U.N. Convention on contracts for the international sale of goods. You agree that jurisdiction over and venue in any legal proceeding directly or indirectly arising out of or relating to this site (including but not limited to the purchase of Precision Sail Loft products) shall be in the state or federal courts located in Los Angeles County, California

I don't know how that is possible, but by doing business with them you agree to that.

Try going to the FAQ's and figure out what their return policy is.

Last edited by timangiel; 01-15-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Have you tried FX Sails?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-15-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

Rolly Tasker is another that I'd give a good look at. I'm very happy with my genoa 3 years later. If you can ship it to a friend in the USA and go pick it up you can save 30-40% in import duties as well.

National sail supply was the dealer I went through to get my sail. The guy there is good.

Other options are used sails from Bacon Sail or Minnies.

MedSailor