SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   good quality sails? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/94111-good-quality-sails.html)

boz86 11-15-2012 09:24 AM

good quality sails?

another thread got me thinking: which manufacturers are considered good value sail makers? Not thinking cutting edge racing sails, not wanting the cheapest sails, just looking for a decent quality and a reasonable price. Who isn't :-)

I'm new to the boat owning business, so I don't know what the common wisdom is on this issue.

Thanks!

jsaronson 11-15-2012 09:57 AM

Re: good quality sails?

Bacon Sails in Annapolis, Rolly Tasker now has an Annapolis rep., North Sails Direct.

blt2ski 11-15-2012 09:58 AM

"WHAT" is or is not a good quality sail needs some more definition. Because if you are sailing y a one design boat, the rules of that boat decide what the sails will be, so that everyone is on the same page with equal sails, no matter the manufacture. Yeah I know, you said non racing sails......but a J105 sails for 1d racing are not what I would call superior sails, the J24 probably the same, decent, superior fo the cost etc......I'll beg to question that.

Then are you world cruising? does not sound like it, but if you were, Carol hasse in port townsend washington seems to make one of the better cruising dacron sails around, but you WILL pay for it. If you want a laminate style cross cut, even she admits, North or equal will be as good or better than hers for less cost!

more than one way to look at it.

marty

boz86 11-15-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaronson (Post 948766)
Bacon Sails in Annapolis, Rolly Tasker now has an Annapolis rep., North Sails Direct.

thanks, been in there shopping for other things.

boz86 11-15-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blt2ski (Post 948767)
"WHAT" is or is not a good quality sail needs some more definition. ...

Then are you world cruising? does not sound like it, but if you were, Carol hasse in port townsend washington seems to make one of the better cruising dacron sails around, but you WILL pay for it. If you want a laminate style cross cut, even she admits, North or equal will be as good or better than hers for less cost!

more than one way to look at it.

marty

Looking at Chesapeake Bay cruising for now, rather than live aboard.

With that said, if North makes good sails at a reasonable price point, are there others?

peterchech 11-15-2012 11:38 AM

I have heard bad things about North, mostly regarding their customer service and backing their products, I know that a whole bunch of guys who won't use their product. Total hearsay though, as I have never dealt with them myself

peterchech 11-15-2012 11:42 AM

I got my new main from Bacon, for the money it really couldn't be beat, I paid around $700 for a new dacron main with two reef points for a 25' boat.

That said the fit was less than perfect, though my measuring might have been part of that problem too. Next time I would upgrade the top two battens to full battens, because in some situations the top 5 feet of the main can take on a sharp triangular shape where the batten ends...

chef2sail 11-15-2012 01:53 PM

There are many many factors in chosing sails and you must be sure to compare apples to apples. Weight, Reefs, Double vs triple stitiching, actual sailcoloth baterial, battens, UV etc.

My suggestion is to narrow down what you want first and educate yourself using someone who makes the sails without buying

For instance I got a new Main two years ago from Quantum Sails Annapolis. Molst of my sailing is also the CXhessie with a 3+ week cruise to the LI Sound and New England.

We went with a 8.3 oz, dacron high modulus, loose footed, full batten (4). 2 reefs, Cross cut, triple throw stitched mainsail. Specially designed batten pockets also. Came with numbers and C&C Logo

Each one of those factors were specific choices for specificreasons.

We used Tad Hutchings at Quantum Sails. They came to the boat three times. Once to measure and go over the different opitions. Once to fit the sail once it arrived and once to adjust it as a followup 1 month later. The sail was made in South Africa.

The price was cheaper than North and UK, more than Ulman. I personally wouldnt buy over the internet. There have been many issues as well as very satusfied customers. This way you have a person to warrentee and gaurentee the sail.

So first educate yourself with a professional
Second decide what you want
Third get bids on what YOU want from 3 reputable sail makers
Fourth dont discount the customer service aspects as well as the reputation

Fee free to PM me and I will give you Chads number from Quantum Sails Annapolis.

lillia28 11-15-2012 02:17 PM

I ordered a new genny for the Mac 22 from North sails and loved it. I just ordered a new main for the Mariner from a local sailmaker, at about the same price as a North sails main, but the sail maker came down and measured the boat, and spent about an hour explaining what I needed, made several suggestions that saved me some money. If possible, I would vote for supporting a local business.
lou

BarryL 11-15-2012 02:29 PM

Hey,

Most major sail lofts have a range of sails. There are custom racing sails, standard dacron sails, and many in between. So, the cheapest sails from a 'big' loft like North or UK will be cheaper than the most expensive sails for a lessor known place.

I think you should talk to a few local lofts and get some ideas from them.

Back in 2005 I wanted to buy a new main and genoa for my Newport 28. I contacted three local lofts: North, Doyle, and UK Halsey. I learned a lot about sails from them. I liked the UK quote the best, so I went with them. The salesman came to my boat and measured for the sails. When they were ready he came by and took off the old sails and put on the new ones.

Since then I have changed boats and bought a few more sails from the same loft / guy.

Good luck,
Barry