Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Why Are Boats In Europe Cheaper?

I've spent more time on Yachtworld than I want to admit. I usually use the North America only filter for the search area but sometimes I just take off the area filter.

There are times when I've seen very similar boats that are substantially less overseas than ones in the US, all prices in $US. It's not all, just some, but far more than what I see when comparing US boats to US boats. I realize there's a duty to pay and delivery but from what I've been told that amount would not be enough to put similar boats in the same price range.

Looking at the photos and perusing the list of equipment, I can find nothing that would justify such a large price differential. Is it just something that would come out in a survey or is there some other reasons why this exists? Or am I missing something else?

BTW, it seems the areas I most often find this are Croatia and Turkey, though they are not the only areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2012
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road
Re: Why Are Boats In Europe Cheaper?

Its just like boats in Mexico being cheaper. Harder to get to and less conveniently placed when you've bought them.
Old 11-15-2012
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

Boats are frequently free in the USA... those ones just don't get put on Yacht World. There is also often a fairly large gap in the USA on asking price and sale price.. I don't know if that is the case in Europe.
Old 11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpinnaker View Post
There is also often a fairly large gap in the USA on asking price and sale price..
I didn't know that. Any idea about what % the difference is?
Old 11-15-2012
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
I didn't know that. Any idea about what % the difference is?
It depends on the survey, but I would guess that the average is between 15-20%
Old 11-15-2012
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Yachtworld boats are pretty much always listed through a broker. In the US brokers usually have a 10% fee with a $2k minimum, making it unusual for sellers to use a broker for a boat worth less then $20k.

As a result a lot of boats that are probably worth somewhat less than $20k (like $15k) will be listed for the higher price. Boats that are probably worth less then $10k rarely make it to yachtworld or will be grandly overpriced there.

You should expect to find the less expensive boats on Craigslist, sailboatlistings.com, and other free classifieds services.

The boat that I bought through a broker listed on yachtworld was sold for about 15% under asking, but that is a reference point of 1. I think it had been listed for about 3 months and was going into fall, so the seller was motivated to sell.
Old 11-15-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Only boats with less than 15 years, particularly boats with less than 10 years are cheaper in Europe. Older boats are cheaper in US.

There are more recent boats in Europe and more older boats in the US. Besides that in the South of Europe almost all countries are in a big Crisis and that drove prices down....a lot. If you want a recent boat at the best price probably the best place to look is Italy or Spain.

There are some big brokers that will not charge anything to a private owner so boats can be sold at better prices. One of the more known is http://www.cosasdebarcos.com/

For Italy try:

http://www.mondialbroker.com/

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-15-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2012

Things I never knew... Thank you!

I had done searches for boats on other websites but it seemed the ones that interested me were also on Yachtworld. So I stopped looking elsewhere.

Paolo, the sites you suggested are interesting. I've done some perusing there already. It certainly would be cool to buy a boat overseas, spend some time getting to know her, then sail her back here. Maybe not practical, but definitely something we'd love to be able to do. Problem is, I can't see us leaving there without taking in all the sights, and that could take years!

When it comes to duty, I've only heard, "It's not that much." The last time was from a salesman at the Annapolis show. So, how much is "not that much"?

I'm trying to put together a somewhat realistic cost to the "out the door" price on a used sailboat. Whatever I am able to set aside, I'll keep at least 25% in hand for necessary work to get the boat where I need it to be. But it would be nice to have a reasonable expectation of everything that one pays, besides the cost of the boat, when purchasing a used boat.

The liveaboard dream has been cancelled. It just won't work for us. So we've decided to sell the big house and buy a small house and a small boat. It's really the more practical thing to do, all things being considered.
Old 11-16-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post

When it comes to duty, I've only heard, "It's not that much." The last time was from a salesman at the Annapolis show. So, how much is "not that much"?
Can't answer your question. I suppose there is also state sales tax, at least in some states.

One thing to consider is that boats in Europe (the EU more specifically) will have VAT tax paid. This can be a lot of money (20% or so). Of course this only makes a difference if you are interested in staying in the area for some time before coming home, but this is what you indicated you thought of.
Old 11-16-2012

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

I modelled my recent new boat purchase in detail - combining all of the commissioning costs with purchase price, rebates and other factors. I could choose between factory dealer in France, where the boat was manufactured, dealers in the U.K., Germany and Annapolis. Purchasing and particularly commissioning the boat with extras and all the little/big stuff for a new boat (flatware,cushions,safety equipment,SSB,dinghy,etc.) was by far cheaper to do in the USA than at any of the others - and the European VAT wasn't going to be paid since the boat would leave the EU so that wasn't a factor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.