Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Sailcare running up the tab?

Have you ever left Jiffy Lube paying only for a 19.99 oil change?

Same deal.
Old 11-15-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I know from talking to a previous owner (prior to the guy I bought it from) that my boat was not used at least 4 years of its life, so the sail does not have a full 13 years of use. I've hand-washed this sail twice before, and know I could make it look perfectly clean by myself. I believe it has a decent amount of life left in it. The draft is in about the right place, for cruising it appears to drive the boat OK. The stitches have no apparent UV degradation, the batten pockets are in great shape (though I prefer not to have them stitched shut ).

I had heard good things about Sailcare, and was interested in their process to re-resin the sail, which is included in the cleaning treatment. I realize that it will not restore the original shape of a new sail, but re-resining it will strengthen it enough to prevent small tears from getting larger. That's what I still plan to do.

I saw what a badly worn sail looks like when I retired my genoa, which had severe UV degradation. The mainsail is nothing like that.

I'm going to have this done, the only question is whether to spring the $88 for stitching the numbers and logos. I talked to the guy about it today, and he says that the cleaning solvents can soften the adhesive and cause the numbers and logo to de-adhere. I told him I'll think about it overnight and will call him tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Dont get it done and hand stitch the numbers and letters of you see they need to be done. Thats not hard to do even without a machine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-15-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Their estimate should have appraise you of any likely collateral damage. They know damn well that sails have sail numbers on them, and if those are likely to come off an old sail, they should mention that up front.

I'd tell 'em to clean it like the said, and if they damage the sail numbers, they can glue them back on. Same as any car wash that damages my car, that's their problem, especially when they don't warn me.

How else did $188 become $350?
Old 11-15-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Rick,
I've always used Moorhouse Sailmakers in Lumberton, NJ. Every other season I get the sails cleaned and repaired. The cleaning is $99 and the minor repairs/re-stitching usually come in around $25-$35.

Skip sold the business last year but I'm told the woman who did most of his work is still there so I'm going to give them a try.

So there are local options if you're not happy with Sailcare's work.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 11-15-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I understand exactly where Sailcare is coming from with the add-ons.
Clean a sail and send it back with peeling numbers- customer is now unhappy.
Clean a sail and send it back with the same failing stitching as it had when it came in- customer is unhappy.

Mention to the customer AFTER he receives his sail and he calls in to express his dissatisfaction that you could have fixed the numbers and the stitching, and the customer says, "why didn't you tell me you could do that/ the sail needed that/ that could happen? I would have paid for it!"

From a customer service standpoint the vendor is in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't," situation. But at least if you tell the customer what his sail needs to come back to him in the best possible condition, prior to starting work, then the customer has the choice of opting for the $100 and understanding the possible outcomes, or opting for the work recommended.
chef2sail, msmith10 and TakeFive like this.

Last edited by bljones; 11-15-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-15-2012

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

I had the sails on my boat cleaned and repaired at Sailcare a few months ago and I had a great experience all around....the repair work they did was good quality and about the same cost as a quote I had gotten from a local loft, and the cleaned and resined sails perform incredibly well - I think they hold their shape better now but that might just be my imagination. Once the Sailcare folks got the sails they sent me a quote that detailed out the repairs that they recommended, which were in line with what I had expected. The sails are over 10 years old and had gotten dingy and rust stained....today they look like brand new.

I have no connection to Sailcare other than being a satisfied customer, but all in all I think I got good value out of their service. Five years from now I'll look for someone to build me a new set of sails, but in the meantime I'm enjoying flying some crisp white canvas for a change!
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 11-15-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Their estimate should have appraise you of any likely collateral damage. They know damn well that sails have sail numbers on them, and if those are likely to come off an old sail, they should mention that up front.

I'd tell 'em to clean it like the said, and if they damage the sail numbers, they can glue them back on. Same as any car wash that damages my car, that's their problem, especially when they don't warn me.

How else did $188 become $350?
I hate to disagree vis-a-vis sail numbers, logo's et al, but at least here we often see boats sailing with unmarked sails, particularly if they are replacement sails for original equipment and the owners are not racers. Of the 40+ sail boats in our little 55 slip marina, I suspect less than half have marked sails. N'any case, re-gluing or even hand sewing isn't a big deal. I've redone ours a couple of times as the sun here (southwest Florida) can really eat up glued markings.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-15-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Dont get it done and hand stitch the numbers and letters of you see they need to be done. Thats not hard to do even without a machine.
I suggest you glue the letters and numbers if you do not have the correct tools for sewing a sail. I redid a seem on my genoa by hand and ended up with blisters. That darcon is some tough stuff.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 11-15-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I understand exactly where Sailcare is coming from with the add-ons.
Clean a sail and send it back with peeling numbers- customer is now unhappy.
Clean a sail and send it back with the same failing stitching as it had when it came in- customer is unhappy.

Mention to the customer AFTER he receives his sail and he calls in to express his dissatisfaction that you could have fixed the numbers and the stitching, and the customer says, "why didn't you tell me you could do that/ the sail needed that/ that could happen? I would have paid for it!"

From a customer service standpoint the vendor is in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't," situation. But at least if you tell the customer what his sail needs to come back to him in the best possible condition, prior to starting work, then the customer has the choice of opting for the $100 and understanding the possible outcomes, or opting for the work recommended.
Yes, that is exactly the situation, and I fully understand his desire to take the most conservative approach to ensure that I come away fully satisfied. The pain of an additional $88 would go away much faster than the dissatisfaction of losing a logo or a number.

He's explained that to me very clearly, and it's up to me to decide whether to take the risk and save $88. My numbers and logo are at least 95% adhered - just a little loss around the edges. If everything stays on and doesn't get torn, I can easily reglue them. The risk is if something comes off completely and gets lost or ripped.

So at this point, the most valuable advice I could get would be from someone who got the Sailcare treatment and opted against having the stitching done. How well did your numbers make it through their process?

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)