Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Sailcare running up the tab?

I sent my 13 year old mainsail to Sailcare for cleaning and re-resining. They had told me over the phone that their base price would be about $100 for my 129 sq ft sail.

I just got the quote back from them, and with all the extras the total is over $350. For example, they want $88 to sew on the numbers and insignia. They're already stuck on very well, but the guy told me that they might start to come off a little when they clean the sail. But it seems that all these extras have tripled the price of the work.

My main question is how many of the extras are generally necessary, in your experience? Does everyone have their numbers and insignias sewn on, or is it OK to just re-glue them if they start to come off in their process? $88 seems like an awful lot of extra cost to add on to a $100 cleaning job.

I do plan to call the guy and talk to him again about the necessity of all this, but thought I'd get a second opinion first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailcare running up the tab?

I believe they call that "up-selling" in the business world...
Old 11-15-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hello,

For me personally, I would not spend any more $ on a 13 year old sail. Maybe I would spend $100 for the cleaning, but I would be saving any other money for a new sail.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-15-2012

adamsj23 is on a distinguished road
Sailcare running up the tab?

I had the same experience. 200 turned into 600plus shipping. I let them do it and was very impressed with the cleaning job. BUT, I would never let them do repair work again. Nothing with a sewing machine. Terrible work at very high price. Have repair work done before you send it. I had to have it all redone. They even sewed my baton pockets shut "repairing" them. But these problems did come back on a surprisingly clean sail. Would never do it on a newer sail, but if you just don't want to look bad it works
Old 11-15-2012
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

If you want clean sails and don't want to do it yourself, I'd pay Sailcare the $100, but nothing more. Go to a local loft for repairs.
rugosa likes this.

Old 11-15-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I sent my 13 year old mainsail to Sailcare for cleaning and re-resining. They had told me over the phone that their base price would be about $100 for my 129 sq ft sail.

I just got the quote back from them, and with all the extras the total is over $350. For example, they want $88 to sew on the numbers and insignia. They're already stuck on very well, but the guy told me that they might start to come off a little when they clean the sail. But it seems that all these extras have tripled the price of the work.

My main question is how many of the extras are generally necessary, in your experience? Does everyone have their numbers and insignias sewn on, or is it OK to just re-glue them if they start to come off in their process? $88 seems like an awful lot of extra cost to add on to a $100 cleaning job.

I do plan to call the guy and talk to him again about the necessity of all this, but thought I'd get a second opinion first.
We had SailCare "recondition" an old main and 135 Genoa for our previous yacht in 2000. The sails looked and performed as new after they were returned. For the sake of comparison, a new main for your C-250 from a discount sailmaker is upwards of $900.00. From a mainline sail maker likely a good bit more. Considering the foregoing, SailCare's pricing isn't too bad. You can, of course, re-glue the numbers if it comes to it so that could be a savings.

Good Luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-15-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Not worth the money if the sail shape is gone. They can make it stiffer but they cannot remove the belly.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 11-15-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Just pay to have it cleaned as you originally intended. Upselling happens everywhere, when you take your car in for service, and in a restuarant. The consumer can make the choice.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-15-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Kind of like all of the engine cleaning services they sell to add revenue at service stations. A total waste.

* Sails that have been well-stored do not benefit
from cleaning. Period. At most, a light scrubbing on the front lawn and rinse. Lightly bleach a few spots, if really needed. Easy DIY. Most of the work is getting the sail on-and-off the boat anyway.
* Clean sails don't work better.
* Heavily cleaned sails have been beat up in the process. Loosens insignia, hint, hint.
* Resinating a sail doesn't help the shape. I had a friend that sailed one-design that had his sail done; it was actually slower. Yes, it was crisp, but they had locked in a blown out shape and it was that much harder to down-haul the pocket forward. He ordered a new sail a week later, poorer for the expereince.

While it might "feel" like good maintenance, it probably results in no net functional benefit and the money would better go to a new sail. They have their fans, though. Probably people who wax their gel coat twice a year. I guess I'm just not that into "clean." I'm into functional, low cost, and longevity.
kwaltersmi and chrisncate like this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 11-15-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

What about black mold stains? I've been told that the cleaning services can not get them out either.