SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   This should be a good movie. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/94137-should-good-movie.html)

Ninefingers 11-15-2012 10:20 PM

This should be a good movie.

All Is Lost (2013) - IMDb

rbrasi 11-15-2012 10:37 PM

Looks like redford is alone in this movie. No one else is listed in the cast. He can pull it off- he has that sun-drenched naugahide-like skin that sailors have.

Ninefingers 11-16-2012 11:27 AM

Re: This should be a good movie.

He is alone it looks like. Here's a vague synopsis. I noticed an old friend of mine is one of the producers too.:

A film that's intriguing on many levels is J. C. Chandor's All Is Lost. Not only does it give Robert Redford his first bit of heavy lifting in front of the camera since Lions For Lambs, but it's a chance to see what the talented Chandor (director of Margin Call) can do with the perennially tricky open-water storyline. With its Cast Away-like premise, the Chandor-penned one-hander lures Redford into a yacht, and, by the looks of this still from the film, then procedes to try to drown him. Things look pretty bleak for the great American in this picture, although on a positive note, at least he doesn't have a Bengali tiger, a hyena and a nobbled zebra to contend with.As we reported back in December, Chandor's friendship with Redford has blossomed since his debut, excellent Wall Street drama Margin Call, appeared at Sundance last year.

billsull 05-24-2013 12:41 AM

Ninefingers and rbrasi were way ahead of me on this movie. I just heard about it today. It's getting good reviews in Cannes. I wish I didn't have to wait all the way until October 25th to see it!

rbrasi 05-24-2013 11:29 AM

That's a good scene. From what I understand, there is no dialog in the entire movie. Looking forward to this one, for sure.

carl762 05-24-2013 08:44 PM

Can't wait to see it. :)

Siamese 05-24-2013 09:46 PM

Okay, so I just watched the trailer, and Redford's at the top of the mast re-attaching the cable to his antenna. It's a knurled, finger-tightened fitting, and he's using a crescent wrench on it. Have to wonder if the rest of the movie is this lax with details.

KIVALO 05-24-2013 09:56 PM

Not a huge Redford fan but I like the topic of the movie. Hope its good!

Faster 05-24-2013 10:00 PM

Will probably check it out but I'm prepared to be disappointed.. It's pretty difficult, it seems, to accurately film this kind of scenario.

Dead Calm, Perfect Storm, White Squall and their kind had all kinds of potential but I thought they ultimately disappointed on the sailing/seafaring side of things.

I think some of the best actual sailing footage was in another otherwise lame movie 'Wind'.

paul323 05-24-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siamese (Post 1035185)
Okay, so I just watched the trailer, and Redford's at the top of the mast re-attaching the cable to his antenna. It's a knurled, finger-tightened fitting, and he's using a crescent wrench on it. Have to wonder if the rest of the movie is this lax with details.

I saw that too! Also wearing a big gold ring..personally I would take that off when sailing! Still, any movie set on a sailboat can't be all bad...?

Must say I'd like that doohickey which he was using to climb the mast...I rely on a buddy cranking....