Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: How would you rate this ditch bag?
5-Star - Excellent! 2 22.22%
4 Star 5 55.56%
3 Star 2 22.22%
2 Star 0 0%
1 Star - Poor 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: The Complete Overboard Bag - Rate It

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
With my fanny pack on me all the time, I will have sunglasses, WP iPhone, multi-tool, and other goodies.
Other than the questionable sartorial deficit of wearing a fanny pack... if it ain't waterproof, you're just carrying a whole bunch of now useless dead weight once you step up into the liferaft and get drenched along the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
If you recall, Steve Calahan's most useful tool was his spear gun. I would pack a Hawaiian sling myself.

MedSailor
Callahan and the Robertson crew both said their teeth were in amazing condition when their time at sea ended. So no need for a toothbrush in the ditch bag.
Old 11-17-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Would I want that bag if I was ditch'n?.. yes. Will I ever put something like that together? doubtful. I gave it a five because my lifeboat training and stcw endorsement say's I have to, but my actual ditch bag is Often a trash bag full of bottled water and some granola bars.
Some wisdom I heard this weekend, spoken by an old orthopedic surgeon/sailing companion of mine, while sitting on the cold wet rail of a boat at 40deg of heel.

"an imperfect plan executed early, is infinitely better than a perfect plan executed too late."

My boat currently has no ditch bag at all, but on paper, I have drawn up a couple "perfect" ditch bags. If my boat sinks tomorrow, I will really have wished that I had the "bag of bottled water and granola bars" at the ready while I was still getting around to building the "perfect bag".

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 11-17-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Some wisdom I heard this weekend, spoken by an old orthopedic surgeon/sailing companion of mine, while sitting on the cold wet rail of a boat at 40deg of heel.

"an imperfect plan executed early, is infinitely better than a perfect plan executed too late."

My boat currently has no ditch bag at all, but on paper, I have drawn up a couple "perfect" ditch bags. If my boat sinks tomorrow, I will really have wished that I had the "bag of bottled water and granola bars" at the ready while I was still getting around to building the "perfect bag".

MedSailor
Ya, and my bag of water and granola is just stuff I was too lazy to unpack and stow. If I'm heading off shore, I put some thought into ditch'n, coastal, not so much. It's another reason I singlehand, less crap to deal with. My personal ditch bag is modest.
Old 11-17-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Other than the questionable sartorial deficit of wearing a fanny pack... if it ain't waterproof, you're just carrying a whole bunch of now useless dead weight once you step up into the liferaft and get drenched along the way.
The fanny pack is the least of my worry because it is very small. A quart of H2O will overfill the bag easily. During the safety at sea training, I have learned that wearing fouled weather gear in the water can be fatal. There is no way one can get to the life raft without using a tether. In the swimming pool, I can get myself out of the pool without others help, but I am not sure I can do so by myself in the stormy sea. Ditching the clothing is not easy, ditching the fanny is a 5 sec one hand operation.

After the training, I totally rethink my approach when it comes to ditching the boat. As for now, I would rather wear a wetsuit in a stormy weather with a manual activated life vest. I thought about sailing and survival at sea almost everyday. Hopefully I don't need to use it at all.
JulieMor likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 11-17-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Ditching the clothing is not easy, ditching the fanny is a 5 sec one hand operation.
Then it's not a ditch bag is it? Rather, it is a bag to be ditched.

Old 11-17-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

It would seem to me the only reasonable option to having such a ditch bag readily available and not be lost in the boat or lost at sea would to be having it somehow attached to the life raft and be deployed with the life raft. Keeping fresh provisions and workable safety equipment would require everything to be packed just before you leave shore. Pack it for the trip you're taking then set sail.
Old 11-17-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

There is not one thing in that bag that I would not love to have with me in a Raft. Matter of fact, what ever the cost, that stuff would be priceless in a life raft. This thread my inspire me to upgrade my kit.
Old 11-18-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Have there been any long term life raft survivors since EPIRBs?

Steve Callahan and that mob in the 1970s and 1980s, but has anyone needed to survive more than 3 or 4 days since the widespread use of EPIRBs and Sattelite phones??

Tony Bullimore had to for 3 days in the southern ocean.

Can we save on all that ditch bag crap with EPIRBs and Sat phones? Consider that bag costs THOUSANDS! The hand held water maker is us$1,250!!!! That's more than a sat phone.

Mark
Ps I am also replacing the reading material for dirty magazines
Old 11-18-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Have there been any long term life raft survivors since EPIRBs?

Steve Callahan and that mob in the 1970s and 1980s, but has anyone needed to survive more than 3 or 4 days since the widespread use of EPIRBs and Sattelite phones??

Tony Bullimore had to for 3 days in the southern ocean.

Can we save on all that ditch bag crap with EPIRBs and Sat phones? Consider that bag costs THOUSANDS! The hand held water maker is us$1,250!!!! That's more than a sat phone.

Mark
Ps I am also replacing the reading material for dirty magazines
A good question to be sure, but I would like to point out that Steve Calahan DID have an EPIRB that was was recently serviced, but failed to function.

Similar to the GPS v Sextant debate technology has changed the tactics for some. In the Vendee Globe race for example (where a bunch of single-handed lunatics race from France, then circumnavigate Antarctica on 50ft boats) none carry extensive life-raft supplies. Instead they carry several Epirbs. If I recall the race regulations REQUIRED three, but many carried 4 or 5. They are definitely counting on technology and a swift rescue, and they're sailing in many areas where there isn't even any shipping.

As much as I LOVE reading man v wild or man v sea survival stories, I do think that with the price of EPIRBS and PLBs being so cheap, it would be smart to have several. Nobody wants to think of the possibility of a serious injury during or prior to abandonment, but the statistics show a high rate of injury for life raft occupants. It might be that your time and ability to affect your own survival are limited by your injuries and all you can do is activate your one-handed PLBs every 48hrs....

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.