Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: How would you rate this ditch bag?
5-Star - Excellent! 2 22.22%
4 Star 5 55.56%
3 Star 2 22.22%
2 Star 0 0%
1 Star - Poor 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
The Complete Overboard Bag - Rate It

Just curious how you would rate the contents of this ditch bag.

How to pack a ditch kit: The Complete Overboard Bag | Cruising World
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: The Complete Overboard Bag - Rate It

It appears quite well thought-out. I have only a few concerns. One is weight. We have a standard ditch bag with lots of flares and water along with some food and miscellaneous stuff. It is quite heavy and would be quite a load in rough conditions which certainly could be the case in an emergency situation. This bag has more stuff than we have so would be heavier. Next concern is how bulky it would be with the Jerry can and float. Would be hard to stow on most boats. Final concern is that the EPIRB should not be in the bag since you might well want to fire it off hours before getting in the raft. Also we have our portable VHF out since we use it. Could have two I guess but it makes more sense to be using it frequently since you know it is working well. One in the bottom of the bag might not. In our emergency plan, the responsible for the bag first puts the EPIRB and VHF into outer pockets.
chef2sail and JulieMor like this.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 11-16-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Ditch bags depend entirely on area of anticipated use.
This kit seems to be a kitchen sink approach - nice to think of everything but seriously impractical - for example he puts everything in 'layers according to use' - that means his passport (document bag) is somewhere on the bottom of the bag.
Want to bet on that?

Reading material? I mean seriously? I read a book a day when I'm bored, how many days to I need to be entertained while waiting for rescue.

Nice article, props to Alvah, but doubtful in practice.
MarkofSeaLife and oysterman23 like this.
Old 11-16-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

The contents are good. Same bag could be brought onboard an airplane everytime you fly (just add a parachute). Lots of stuff but chances are you'll never use it. Even if you go over.

All waterproof:

EPIRB/PBL with GPS
VHF
whistle
visual signal device.

That should cover 90% of all people sailing. Offshore (which I'm assuming this article was about) a lot more stuff is nice. But things like a first aide kit and liferaft repair, need to be already packed into your liferaft before it inflates. So you throw it over, and it's already there. And that thing is going to be heavy. 1 gal of water is 7 lbs. This is the reason that racing regs make you place a liferaft in a place that you can deploy it in xx amount of seconds. Those things are like 70 lbs and you can't lift them up companionway steps in a seaway.
Old 11-16-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Interesting list. The “assembly” looks a little bulky and ungainly to me and I wonder where it would be stored and ease of deployment. For part of our Pac Cup safety inspection we had to demonstrate the ability to deploy the life raft in 90 seconds. No easy feat when it was an eight man weighing around a hundred pounds plus having to move the ditch bag up the companionway at the same time. Like others, we configure our ditch bag for current needs so the contents vary from time to time.
Old 11-16-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Holey ducks bum! There's more equipment in that bag than my whole boat!

I bet Cruising World is gunna start selling that thing for thousands!

All the old salts are going to hammer me, but I don't rate getting in the life raft as a survival option. It's rank last in my mind and I'd prefer to scoop floating junk off the surface than have my emergency COmunications kit stuffed into my bag.
I am with killarney_sailor in that I want the EPIRB at the nav station, my handheld in the cockpit in its spot, HF receiver where I can use it each day, etc.

What I do have in my grab bag is all the out of date and wrong canned food I've bought.... Ummm In France I bought some tins of meat but when I got home and translated the label... . Anyway I don't want to have to eat the stuff.
Bottled water, can openers etc, flares. That's about all. Oh, the stupid little mirror.

My first aid kit is very close, but not in it. My wetsuit is also close. That I want on before anything, even in the tropics.

So my grab bag is Not able to be grabbed in a mad rush... But few emergencies are that much of a mad rush. And as I said I will not rush into a liferaft.

To fill my grab bag would take only one minute. If I don't have that time then the situation would probably be fatal anyway.

If I threw the Cruising World grab bag into the liferaft it would sink it.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 11-16-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

I agree, way too much good stuff for me. With the sailing I intend to do, I should be rescued within 5 days, if weather is bad, 10 days.

My ditch bag is small.
Manual water maker and plastic cup
Waterproof energy bars x 5
Mirror and dye
Passport
Fishing hooks and line, just give me something to do
Portable VHS, Eneloop batteries, solar charger (optional)
SPOT II
Emergency blanket and washcloth

With my fanny pack on me all the time, I will have sunglasses, WP iPhone, multi-tool, and other goodies.

I always prepare my ditch bag. Just like bringing an umbrella, it you have it, it will never rain. It works every time; my grand Mom said so.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 11-16-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Looks good to me. Well thought out I think and I like that he addresses warmth. Protection from the sun/heat and the cold are important and often overlooked.

The only item I have a real issue with is the canned fish. Really? Hopefully you can catch fish and you won't want any more from the can. Also canned foods are too heavy and subject to corrosion. Additionally protein requires a lot of water to digest and carbohydrates will be scarce so you should pack as much carbohydrate and fat rich foods as possible.

If you recall, Steve Calahan's most useful tool was his spear gun. I would pack a Hawaiian sling myself.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 11-16-2012
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I think if someone tried to read War & Peace to me in a liferaft then there would soon be one less person in said liferaft, and a lot more peace
MarkofSeaLife and Capt.aaron like this.

Old 11-17-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Would I want that bag if I was ditch'n?.. yes. Will I ever put something like that together? doubtful. I gave it a five because my lifeboat training and stcw endorsement say's I have to, but my actual ditch bag is Often a trash bag full of bottled water and some granola bars.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.