SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Off Season (Nov) sailing in Northeast (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/94192-off-season-nov-sailing-northeast.html)

oysterman23 11-17-2012 07:45 PM

Off Season (Nov) sailing in Northeast

After two plus weeks of storm related work, mucking out houses and prepping for restorations I had to get out of Dodge today chilly or not. When I got outside it was brisk and blowin about 15 kts took my time with sails and then off in a easterly direction. To weather was fun if you sailed a loose tack, letting the boat play the wind abit to keep steady.

Sun strengthened and the sky crisp blue, Fun to snatch some crackers and tuna salad, Listening to some old R@B man it was nice to get out there and let go of Sandy.....next week tearing out sheetrock and wet insulation...on a friends house but today the water is our friend. Same as it ever was....
came back on a broad reach watching the sun work down. Beautiful ...
:)

Faster 11-17-2012 10:16 PM

Re: Off Season (Nov) sailing in Northeast

Next time we need pictures...;)

JonEisberg 11-17-2012 10:53 PM

Beautiful night last night crossing the Gulf of Maine, awesome stars... Wasn't even all that cold, but the weather cloths on this boat helped, bigtime... Left Rockland about 0700 Friday, arrived Newport 1700 tonight... Always amazes me how shut down everything is here by now, saw only 1 sail today on Buzzards Bay, beautiful sailing out there this afternoon...

CalebD 11-17-2012 11:35 PM

There are pictures of the damage on the shores of the Great South Bay from Sandy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBfG...feature=g-hist

No pics of oystermans trip on the GSB or from Jon but it would be a great time to be out sailing. Very few vessels about except commercial boats and a few stragglers heading south.

jimrafford 11-18-2012 03:24 PM

Our season ended a couple weeks back when the barge showed up to start dredging the river. The spoils barge and equipment barge spans almost the entire river. The only time you can get out is when they are dumping the spoils at high tide. Very small window. We wet store and normally enjoy sailing well into dec. The night sky can be amazing.
Jim

Maine Sail 11-18-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonEisberg (Post 949899)
Beautiful night last night crossing the Gulf of Maine, awesome stars... Wasn't even all that cold, but the weather cloths on this boat helped, bigtime... Left Rockland about 0700 Friday, arrived Newport 1700 tonight... Always amazes me how shut down everything is here by now, saw only 1 sail today on Buzzards Bay, beautiful sailing out there this afternoon...

John,

Sorry I missed you I'll be out sailing tomorrow and at Jewell Island or one of the many others tomorrow night. I suspect we'll be the only boat there...

chef2sail 11-18-2012 06:50 PM

We went sailing today for 4+ hours after spending last night celebrating our new Commodore at our clubs annual Ball.

Winds were steady at 10-14 from the North east and we had a nice brisk sail across the Bay to Rock Hall and back. Temps were in the low 50s. We had the propane heater going in the cabin and dtayed warm with bowls of steaming homemade chili and hot chocolate spiked with peppermint schnapps/

I love the sailing this time of the year. There were a few sailboats out and 0 powerboaters

dave

oysterman23 11-18-2012 09:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
thanks all. I went out again today and despite the presumed high of 52 it was durned chilly to weather! Added another layer and it got toasty....need to make up a load of chowder to take out on these Nov days...that would really hit the spot. Caleb,,,Ill be better with those pictures from now on....your'e right postings arent half as much fun without them.

jimjazzdad 11-18-2012 09:17 PM

Our last sail was a week ago. Only two other sailboats to share the bay with. Pick up any mooring you want in every cove. But the nights are getting cold: 26 F last night. Hauled out on Wednesday. Lobster season opens in two weeks with pots everywhere, so its good to be on the hard now, starting the winter maintenance list.

CalebD 11-18-2012 09:18 PM

I've sailed under that bridge in your 2nd photo above. Then out FI Inlet and on to NYC.

Funny how the GSB can look as calm as a Mill Pond but close to shore there is a different story told. Glad that your boat also survived Sandy Oysterman! Were you on a mooring or at a dock?