Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Caribbean 1500 ???

I have a question. I know that the Caribbean 1500, like the ARC is not properly a race but it has a classification, prizes and nobody likes to be behind.

The question is why on the Caribbean 1500 the cruisers/racers use a lot more the engine, I mean many run it for 60 hours and more while on the ARC the engine is much less used?

I know that on the ARC the time is chosen to have the trade winds blowing, on the Caribbean the timing is not also coincident with favorable winds?

If not why not?

Several sailboats run the engine for more than 75 hours and since they are mostly 45/50fts that means about 520nm out of 1500 on engine and about 450L (or more) of diesel. Is not that too much for an offshore long distance crossing?

http://www.worldcruising.com/content...20Division.pdf

http://www.worldcruising.com/content...%20v120112.pdf
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Caribbean 1500 ???

It is really a function of where and when for the 1500. It starts at the beginning of November because that is when the 'official' hurricane season is over. By this time of year only the last few hundred miles are reliably in the trade winds - hence the idea that everything being equal you want to get to 65°W before heading into the trades. North of the trades it is a crap shoot in terms of winds. You can get frontal systems from the north that bring lots of wind (but changing in directions) or you can get little cyclonic activity and end up with very light winds. The year we did it, not in the 1500 but at the same time, a massive depression formed off the Chesapeake and moved north towards Greenland over the next several days and then stalled with a cold front that extended to Cuba. I can assure you we did not have to motor until we reached the Virgins. We had more than a week of days over 170 miles (I think our best was 193).

The ARC is through a pretty benign piece of ocean with largely predictable winds; the 1500 is a completely different kettle of fish.
Old 11-18-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Does the Caribbean 1500 have at least two different classes. Racing and cruising?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Does the Caribbean 1500 have at least two different classes. Racing and cruising?
The ARC has but they all have results (I mean the cruising division and the race division) so I guess the cruising division is a kind of not too serious race for amateurs/cruisers while the racing class is a more sportive event.

World Cruising Club: ARC results

On the Caribbean 1500 it seems that there are not a racing division but only a cruising division, maybe because there are much less boats and not properly cruiser racers or racing boats as on the ARC

World Cruising Club: Caribbean 1500 results

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
It is really a function of where and when for the 1500. It starts at the beginning of November because that is when the 'official' hurricane season is over. By this time of year only the last few hundred miles are reliably in the trade winds - hence the idea that everything being equal you want to get to 65°W before heading into the trades. North of the trades it is a crap shoot in terms of winds. You can get frontal systems from the north that bring lots of wind (but changing in directions) or you can get little cyclonic activity and end up with very light winds. The year we did it, not in the 1500 but at the same time, a massive depression formed off the Chesapeake and moved north towards Greenland over the next several days and then stalled with a cold front that extended to Cuba. I can assure you we did not have to motor until we reached the Virgins. We had more than a week of days over 170 miles (I think our best was 193).

The ARC is through a pretty benign piece of ocean with largely predictable winds; the 1500 is a completely different kettle of fish.
Thanks for the explanation. It was clear

Regards

Paulo