Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Windy day on the Chesapeake

Adventures of Salacia: Rough Day

Some brave souls ventured out....cold and a wet ride on my boat for sure!that was yesterday. 20-25 gusts to 30kts....today it blowing 25-30 gusts to 35....no sailing for me this weekend. Maybe on turkey day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: Windy day on the Chesapeake

I'm jealous, been 5-10 here and fluky for the past few weeks. I have been holding off on winterizing hoping to catch some late season breeze, but no luck here lately
Old 11-19-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We were out sailing today and had a beautiful sail from Rock Creek over the Swan Creek and ack across the Bay. We never saw higher than 17 on our wind instrument. We stayed behind the dodger eating chili and drinking hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps. We thought it was a great bonus dy of sailing.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 11-19-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-19-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

It's always blowing 30 knots (or more) in every YouTube video...

There is one in particular that purports to show a Pearson 28 heading out from a Texas marina in 30 m.p.h. winds with full working sails and the boat is hardly healing. Based on my experience, it appears to be half that wind strength.

It does appear to be 20 knots in the videos.

BTW, nice blog and nice boat - always liked the Alberg 30.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 11-19-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
It's always blowing 30 knots (or more) in every YouTube video...
Here's a roaring day of only 29 knots

Now wait now - I didn't say that was speed, just 29 knots in the video, can you find them all?
Old 11-19-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

The day it DOESN'T blow 20 knots or more in the Windward Islands is a day hell has frozen over...
Old 11-19-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

The most useful gauge is the Beaufort sea state descriptions. Although waves look flatter on video, the appearance of white caps, flying spray, etc., still shows up.

On many of these 30 knot videos, you see scattered whitecaps, indicating maybe Force 4 - wind in the mid to upper teens.

When wind is Force 7, in the low 30s, you should see "Seas heap up, white foam starts to blow in streaks along direction of wind, spindrift forms"

I suspect most of the 30 knot YouTube sailors would be safely home (as they should be), or heading home, after soiling their pants, in such conditions.

It is common to see 3 - 4 foot chop in the lower Chesapeake Bay, where there is much greater fetch over which waves can form:

Last edited by jameswilson29; 11-19-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-19-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We were out sailing today and had a beautiful sail from Rock Creek over the Swan Creek and ack across the Bay. We never saw higher than 17 on our wind instrument. We stayed behind the dodger eating chili and drinking hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps. We thought it was a great bonus dy of sailing.

Dave
Dave,
I'm jealous of anybody who's getting out sailing now. We spent the weekend putting the cover on and putting things away - sigh.

But I have to ask -- chili and peppermint schnapps????

Is that like some kind of combo that chefs eat on a dare or something? See who's first feeding the fish? LOL

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 11-19-2012

saildork is on a distinguished road

I don't doubt Cruiser's account. I went out to VA Beach yesterday, and it was blowin' stink. Heavy surf, flying foam everywhere, sand stinging my eyes, whitecaps everywhere. Watching the local wx news last night, they reported 20+ mph all day with gusts over 30 (showed a graph with wind rising during the day). Since wind over land is usually slower than wind over the water due to friction, I'm sure 20 mph over land will easily translate into 20+ knots over water.

A week ago, we sailed out of Little Creek out through the entrance to the bay and back. Our instruments recorded a pretty consistent 15 - 18 knots true the whole time. I'm here to tell you the wind that day was nothing like it was yesterday! FWIW
Old 11-19-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
I don't doubt Cruiser's account. I went out to VA Beach yesterday, and it was blowin' stink. Heavy surf, flying foam everywhere, sand stinging my eyes, whitecaps everywhere-Saildork

Not doubting the cruisers speed just reporting the condition where I was on the Chesapeake at the Patapsco River was 12-15 mostly. It would make sense that at the shore it was blustery as there was a coastal storm fairly far out to sea, but which have affected your winds, I am 55 miles inland of the ocean.

Jim.

Chila and Hot Chocolate/ Schnapps were not eated together. We ate the Chili on the way acrooss the Bay...and an hour later had the hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps for dessert. I do have a cast iron stomach....lol

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Tags
chesapeake bay , rough seas , windy