Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012

lowcountrylisa is on a distinguished road
Island Packet 350 for a family of 4?

My wife and I are looking for a boat to take our 4 & 5 year olds cruising for a few years. We really like the IP38, but recently looked at the IP350 and think it will also work. Smaller, yes, but newer boat, integrated swim step, and more easily single-handed. Does anyone have any experience or first hand knowledge of long-term cruising with a family aboard the IP350? Are we going to feel space constrained on a boat of this size with 4 aboard?

Thanks!

Tripp & Lisa
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Island Packet 350 for a family of 4?

Where are you cruising to? and for how long at a time? Crossing oceans, probably a bit small. Weekends to week maybe 2 weeks with what I would call local, ie no more than say 200-300 miles from base, probably fine!

Then again, you would know how your family would be in smaller qtrs than others. CD has been out with his family of 4, he has a catalina 40? 42? He went up IIRC from a 38 for what he is doing. Not sure frankly I would want an IP. I personally feel there are better designed boats for many reasons shapes and forms. BUT, for every one of me, there is one that likes IP, so at the end of the day, it still comes up to what the people purchasing will find that works best for them!

Marty
Old 12-15-2012

lowcountrylisa is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much Marty! We are taking a serious look at an IP 38. We'll see how she looks after the surveys!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

The IP35 is a pretty roomy 35 and has a very good layout. We are 4 (2 teenage kids!) on our 35ft boat with much less beam than the IP and we manage fine for months on end. With young kids everything is easier as they need less space and privacy. You could split the v-berth with a canvass divider to make a "private" berth for each child, leaving you the aft cabin. Having dedicated berths for each crew is nice as you don't have to make up beds at night and put the cabin back together in the morning. I think the main cabin will have sea births that meet your needs underway as well. The IP35 has good tankage for 4 and not many boats in that range can beat it for storage space. Is there really much of a difference between the 35 and 38? At any rate, a boat is always going to be small compared to any house or apartment. If you all get along well, any boat is big enough. Personally, I think I'd go with the 35 and with the savings make a very good dodger/ bimini and zippered side curtains for the cockpit. It's where you'll spend most of your time and a comfortable cockpit that can be used in sun and rain is a godsend. If you are going to be in the tropics, invest in some canvass awnings that shade the whole deck and allow you to keep hatches open during rains. This will keep life on board at anchor very comfortable and cool.

Tags
family , island packet