SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   $158 ebay sailboat heads to sea (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/94267-%24158-ebay-sailboat-heads-sea.html)

Bilgewater 11-19-2012 11:51 PM

$158 ebay sailboat heads to sea

Well, the story speaks for itself. :eek::confused:
Buyer finds bargain sailboat anything but ship shape - Connecticut Post

xymotic 11-20-2012 12:55 AM

Re: $158 ebay sailboat heads to sea

wow is right. I'm a little confused by the statement that norwalk sent out a fire boat. I have no clue of the area, but was he in open ocean or a bay? And it seems like he was just out of town like past a breakwater?

No engine to go back in?

"shakedown" at night?

nice.

jimrafford 11-20-2012 07:53 AM

Idiot is a little more accurate. And who gets to pay for the hospital and rescue services needed. Where's darwin when you need him.
Jim

smallboatlover 11-20-2012 08:55 AM

Maybe hes better off getting a free boat mine was free and i sailed it the week after i got it.

Familycruisers 11-20-2012 09:10 AM

Dudes got balls.

BubbleheadMd 11-20-2012 09:34 AM

You know, I try not to rush to judgement when I read these things, because often, you don't get the person's own words, only what the press is reporting.

There are enough of this guy's own words in the article for me to feel pretty secure about declaring him a Grade A, Class 1, f$$$ing retard. He completely screwed up, and in the end, insists that he doesn't need any training or help, he has all the knowledge necessary for what he's doing.

If he'd screwed up and said "Yeah next time, I'll take a class or get some sailing friends to teach me, and study some internet resources." I'd feel better.

I just want to punch this guy in the face.

Captainmeme 11-20-2012 10:29 AM

There is always one that ruins it for the rest of us.

HDChopper 11-20-2012 11:36 AM

Yep the guys got balls allright ......Balls to ask for help!!!!

Take off in a $200 boat without a good preflight & knowing you bought a $200 boat didn't bring a pocket full of pins ,clips and maybe a copula snach blocks & a coil of rope??? (ya I said rope he didnt deserve the term line or sheet)....

IF he has done this a few times then he allready KNOWS more than I do....But I bet ya I'll know more than him inside of 30 days on deck! ( and I dare yall to hold me to it too;))

Mobnets 11-20-2012 12:35 PM

In the news article the owner states . . . "There were so many people who wanted her," Williams said in a telephone interview Sunday night. "But I got her."

That doesn't equate . . . if soooo many people really wanted her, she wouldn't have sold for that price.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"

miatapaul 11-20-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobnets (Post 950991)
In the news article the owner states . . . "There were so many people who wanted her," Williams said in a telephone interview Sunday night. "But I got her."

That doesn't equate . . . if soooo many people really wanted her, she wouldn't have sold for that price.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"

Well it likely started of at a $1 and a bunch of people put in bids of up to 150 or so. But yea, not a lot of bids could have been put in till you get to 158.

I liked how he thought he could just sail a boat he paid 158 for form Connecticut to Florida, with just a few bologna sandwiches and not even have to do a few repairs. His wife should just stay in the Philippines.