Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Wasp in Mast/Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
A good solid capsize or two ought to fix your problem, and you'd get a BFS out of it to boot!

I second the wasp traps and love the idea of hoisting one up to where they go in as well. As for moth balls I HATE the smell of those things and the smell does linger. Be sure you're okay with that because if you drop a couple in the mast you might end up with a boat that smells like moth balls.

Premethrin is what most bug spray is these days and they saturate baby's mosquito nets in the stuff in Africa. It's very safe for humans, is wickedly toxic to cats and I have no idea how it is for ropes, sails and canvas.

I'd try the traps and moth balls if you can stand them.

MedSailor
I'll give it a try. Mast is deck stepped so no problem there. I'll look into the premethrin.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2012

delite is on a distinguished road

Use chrysanthemum oil as part of a wasp-repelling spray. Hot peppers contain a compound called capsaicin, which burns wasps on contact and drives them away. Cut up half a cup of hot peppers, then pour a pint of boiling water over the peppers. After they cool, discard them and pour the water into a spray bottle. Add 4 or 5 drops of chrysanthemum oil to the water. The combination of the chrysanthemum scent and the burn of capsaicin repels wasps. Spray down areas like patios every few days with the solution to keep them wasp-free.

The oil can be purchased at aromatherapy supply stores or natural food shops. Chrysanthemum blooms contain a compound called pyrethrum, a natural insecticide effective against wasps and other flying insects. Along with the scent of the flowers, the oil has traces of pyrethrum in it.

Maybe putting the solution on a rag and putting it under the sail cover might help for a longer period. I dont know if it would damage sails if it was to come in contact.
Old 11-20-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I've found that you must completely irradicate the nest. even the smallest trace left intact and the blighters will come back.
chef2sail likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-20-2012

zboss is on a distinguished road

Sevin in powder form kills everything with just a small puff. You can put some in a small sandwich bag with the corner clipped off and just kinda spray the stuff into the holes, or just get a cheap puffer from ebay. As the wasps touch it they bring it back to their nest and it kills everything in the nest within two-three days. Plus, it sticks around a few months to keep them away while the wasp pheromones get weaker.
smurphny and JoeLena like this.
Old 11-20-2012
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road

Sevin ! dear god ...

Dishsoap & water in a pan with a handle on it will kill them all & nest.
Old 11-20-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I keep getting wasp that appear to be trying to nest inside my mast (enter through the internal haylard holes), and also try to nest under the mainsail cover while sitting at dock.

What is best repellant to use? If I spray with wasp spray will it damage my haylards, paint, sails, or fiberglass.

Regards
For wasps to be so common on your boat ...... and such 'mud daubers' REQUIRE the living carcasses of SPIDERS to grow their 'young' ... remove or kill any and all excess spiders you find in your area.
There are 'spider repellents' available to help keep the spider population in check:
Amazon.com: Star brite Spider Away Natural Spider Repellent, 22 oz: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Star brite Spider Away Natural Spider Repellent, 22 oz: Sports & Outdoors

You can also do a websearch for DIY 'spider repellents' and use them on the adjacent areas where you keep your boat.

The less/least population of spiders the less/least population of 'mud dauber' wasps. Mud daubers require a large population of spiders to feed upon and to lay their egg in.
Old 11-20-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I keep getting wasp that appear to be trying to nest inside my mast (enter through the internal haylard holes), and also try to nest under the mainsail cover while sitting at dock.

What is best repellant to use? If I spray with wasp spray will it damage my haylards, paint, sails, or fiberglass.

Regards
Not sure why, but your post reminds me of this old thread: The Swarm

I always laugh at that thread!!!
casey1999 likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-21-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Wasp Update:
Yesterday go down to the boat to check on my wasp. None to be found on the boat or flying around. I had some moth balls so decide to drop about 10 in the mast through the haylard outlets. Also dropped 10 into the boom. Took a month ball and rubbed it on the sail cover and main sail. Then taped the mast openings with painters tape. As I was putting the tape on the mast, a wasp flew towards me and was going to go in the mast hole, but it seemed to get a hit from the moth balls and left- never to be seen again. Hope to sail this weekend so will see how it goes. Don't know if there is a nest on board, or if they are just preparing to make a nest, hope when I go down to the boat there is not an angry crew of wasp wainting for me on the deck.

I did look at ingredients for Raid wasp spray. It is 99% petroleum products and I called Raid- they do not reccomend using it on a boat. Also, the stuff seems pretty hazardous to marine life.
Old 11-21-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Don't over think it.

Mud wasps were a real problem at our marina this spring after a mild winter. They got into my AC discharge line and clogged it with what looked like cement, they got into the mast and under the sail cover into the folds of the sail. A couple of them even tried to start a nest under the hatch boards stacked on deck while we were working on the boat!

I just got a two pack of Spectracide (sp?) wasp and hornet spray, cracked a beer and watched where they were going. I waited until dusk and hosed those areas down. No more wasps.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 11-21-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

We had a similar problem this past summer with paper wasps taking up residence in our mast, reaching strut, life-sling storage bag and under our sail cover between weekends. Based upon some research, I made up a mix consisting of two cups of water, a cap full of liquid dish soap and a couple of tablespoons of Oil of Mint (Oil of Pepper can also be used but I could not find any at our local markets). Mixed and placed in a spray bottle, after cleaning out the nests we could find/reach, we sprayed this into the openings on the mast we could reach and the other items listed. By the following weekend, the critters were all but gone. I have continued applications from time-to-time and the critters have not reappeared.

FWIW...
HDChopper and casey1999 like this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."