Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012

daydream sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Plants on your boat

Maybe those upside down bag planter might just work on a boat,it sure did kill the tomato i tried growing in it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2012
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
I have a few plants onboard, and I kinda dig them. I sail with them too... usually one sits in the beer holder by the wheel. They are indoor plants, and my rule is unless I'm mid-project, I want to be ready to sail in 20 minutes or less... so the plants have a place.

I think I'm going to make a planter that resides on the post that contains the cable for the centerboard. It'll be right under the leaking deck hatch, so it'll stop the rain from getting on my table.

One of the plants on board right now is a cactus... I can advise you against having a cactus on a boat (completely not my idea, and I threaten to teach the thing to swim everytime it bites me)! But it has character.
LoboPops likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

I hate plants on boats. My wife keeps seeing boats that look like gardens and says to me: see, if they can have them why can't we..and I have to wait till I am blasting upwind with 20k wind doing 7k up and down 2m waves on a bumpy and joyful ride heeled at 25ļ to tell here: imagine the flower pots flying around

Off course she forgets about that the next time she sees another garden boat I hate garden boats
tdw likes this.
Old 11-20-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
see, if they can have them why can't we..
She is right. Plant calms the eyes, and good for the soul. If you know how to sail, you will know how to secure the plant. It is not that complicated.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 11-21-2012
Custom User Title

Heinous is on a distinguished road

I grow mint onboard for fresh mojitos. I use a hanging pot that looks nice when moored, and sits in one of the galley sinks when underway. It takes less than a second to unhook it and move it down.

As a bonus, it creates a nice, green semi-curtain that creats a slight separation between the galley and the rest of the salon. You can see around it, but it breaks up the space very nicely.
Old 11-21-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Several plants aboard. They are all fake..... umm.... synthetic.

Some cheap fake plants really look awful and plastic. My wife is a connoisseur and buys what are actually ridiculously expensive imitation plants and flowers. From 1 foot away, they look spot on real. In the long run, they save money. She cycles flowers around the house by season. Those on the boat are fairly consistent.

Edit: Aboard, all flowers and plants are in vases that use velcro to stay in place. No water obviously. We've tossed just about everything around the cabin at one point or another and don't every recall a vase coming undone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-21-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

A few chives are always nice. I like the mint for Mojitos. Gonna have to find a few sprigs to plant for the season...

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 11-21-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

No Plants on board, it is bad luck, Sailing Superstition. I can't believe nobody mentioned this. Just like leaving port on Friday or stepping on board with your left foot first, plants and cut flowers on board are considered bad luck.

Plants seek soil and will run you aground.

Cut flowers (any flowers) are to be used at Funerals.

No Plants or Flowers are to be Allowed on Ship
Many skippers will not abide a green plant in the wheelhouse. They say plants
seek the earth and that’s not a good characteristic for a seaworthy vessel. Flowers can serve many purposes, especially for funeral wreaths. That's enough
reason for sailors to keep them off a well-ordered ship.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 11-21-2012
Custom User Title

Heinous is on a distinguished road

But, but, what about mojitos? Surely there's some exemption for mint...
Old 11-21-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
A few chives are always nice. I like the mint for Mojitos. Gonna have to find a few sprigs to plant for the season...
Mojitos have a season? I thought they were a year round drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
No Plants on board, it is bad luck, Sailing Superstition. I can't believe nobody mentioned this. Just like leaving port on Friday or stepping on board with your left foot first, plants and cut flowers on board are considered bad luck.

Plants seek soil and will run you aground.

Cut flowers (any flowers) are to be used at Funerals.

No Plants or Flowers are to be Allowed on Ship
Many skippers will not abide a green plant in the wheelhouse. They say plants
seek the earth and thatís not a good characteristic for a seaworthy vessel. Flowers can serve many purposes, especially for funeral wreaths. That's enough
reason for sailors to keep them off a well-ordered ship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinous View Post
But, but, what about mojitos? Surely there's some exemption for mint...

Just plant some at the marina in the dark of night. It spreads really quickly so you can cut enough for the week before leaving.