SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Plants on your boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/94281-plants-your-boat.html)

daydream sailor 11-20-2012 02:07 PM

Plants on your boat

I was just looking at the old Dr do little movie ,and was just wondering does anyone keep plants on their boat ,what kind,and do they keep ,i would think a a herb would be something i would grow,whats your say on it.

BubbleheadMd 11-20-2012 02:13 PM

Re: Plants on your boat

Quote:

Originally Posted by daydream sailor (Post 951047)
I was just looking at the old Dr do little movie ,and was just wondering does anyone keep plants on their boat ,what kind,and do they keep ,i would think a a herb would be something i would grow,whats your say on it.

IMO, growing plants on your boat is the first step towards becoming a "Condo Commander".

The plants migrate to planters artfully arranged around your deck and finger dock.

Then tools scattered about the deck and dock as you "repair" things.
Then pets, and fecal matter.

The boat never sails, but decays at the dock. You never go anywhere, and your dreams wither and die, unfulfilled. You're "that guy".

No sir, no plants for me. If I want herbs, I'll buy 'em in a bottle and store them in the galley. This boat is departing within 30 minutes.

rockDAWG 11-20-2012 02:14 PM

Bonsai !!!

And growing bean spouts for flesh vegetable on a long voyage. :)

daydream sailor 11-20-2012 02:16 PM

Thats a good one

rockDAWG 11-20-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 951050)
"Condo Commander".

Those are scary words which is sending a chill into my spline. I will keep that in mind. :D

Omatako 11-20-2012 02:36 PM

The only plant I will allow on my boat is one that generates 200amps of 12v energy.

Food is plentiful most places I'll go in the world, no need to farm stuff on the boat.

Vasco 11-20-2012 03:08 PM

We grow herbs every winter. You have to be very careful to keep the salt spray off them. The pot goes down below when sailing. Nice to have fresh thyme and oregano and basil. Last year we grew a goat pepper plant too.

wingNwing 11-20-2012 03:13 PM

I'm growing lots of mold, does that count? :(

rockDAWG 11-20-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingNwing (Post 951086)
I'm growing lots of mold, does that count? :(

Mold is good. No need to bring antibiotics. :D

killarney_sailor 11-20-2012 03:43 PM

We had two hanging planters with lettuce growing in them from Florida as far as the SE part of French Polynesia. Very nice to have some fresh greenery every couple of days and we were in places where there were no stores. Then we were knocked down. Bad enough to have a cockpit full of water - we had a cockpit full of mud. I was forward adding lashings to the dink when it happened. By the time I got back to the cockpit my wife was bailing like mad with the first thing that came to hand - one of the planters with several drain holes in the bottom. The holes did not seem to matter very much, she was getting a lot of water back where it belonged. BTW, we did not replace the planters.