Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Slayer
  • 2 Post By JonEisberg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Great Sail from Newport to Norfolk

We left Newport Friday morning at around 10:00 on a Valiant 40 heading for Norfolk. The wind was out of the NE and had been blowing that direction for several days, so the seas had been building. Winds started at about 15kts but continued to build so by the end of the trip we had sustained winds of 25 gusting above 30. It was an awesome sail surfing down estimated 10-12 foot seas. Some waves maybe even fifteen. We didn't have a chart plotter, but a crew member had a navigational app on his ipad that showed us hitting speeds of 11 knots (most likely surfing down a wave). But we were averaging 7-8 knots, which isn't bad on that type of boat.

We hit the entrance of the Chesapeake at around 10:30 Sunday night. I had the helm, and under jib alone we were still doing 7 knots and the seas were still 10-12 foot. I really had to work the wheel to keep on course to get us between the two ends of the bridge (where it becomes a tunnel).

After passing into the bay we fired up the brand new Westerbeke to warm it up and after about fifteen minutes (without being in gear) an alarm went off. So we shut it down and saw that it had overheated and guessed the raw water intake got blocked. So we planned to sail into little creek and fire up the engine just as we got into the marina so as to not overheat it.

So we reefed the Genoa down to almost nothing and turned left to exit the channel and head into Little Creek. We were still doing 5 knots with the reefed jib. But sailed into Little Creek, fired up the engine and pulled into the marina without a hitch. This was a great sail.

The next morning the other two crew members left and I helped the captain take the boat up to Portsmouth. I think the winds and waves were as strong as they had been out on the ocean. We were burying the bow into the waves. It was a blast.

I will try and post some videos I took.
CBinRI, chef2sail, mikel1 and 1 others like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Great Sail from Newport to Norfolk

There was some kick-ass sailing off the NE the last few days, no doubt about it...

I left Newport Sunday AM, bound for Cape May... Arrived about 1300 Monday, it was a pretty sporty ride, even aboard this 44' 45,000 lb Ted Brewer-designed battleship...

Never have I made that run, and seen so little other traffic... Once past Montauk, never saw another vessel until encountering a scallop boat on a collision course about 40 miles east of Atlantic City... Another northbound tug seen near Avalon Shoal, and that was it...

Delaware Bay was smooth as silk today, in comparison... And, the bartender at the Chesapeake Inn in Chesapeake City makes a damn fine Manhattan...

One more day, and I'm done with this behemoth... Life is good... (grin)
Faster and jameswilson29 like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 11-20-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Chesapeake Inn this time a year is one of our favorite places to visit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-20-2012
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Delaware Bay was smooth as silk today
Never.... didn't happen without photos. The Del Bay is never smoother than sandpaper at it's best, ugly waters it is.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 11-21-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37SOLARE View Post
Never.... didn't happen without photos. The Del Bay is never smoother than sandpaper at it's best, ugly waters it is.
Never say never... (grin)

This was just about 4 days before Sandy made her appearance...

Old 11-21-2012

Slayer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Never have I made that run, and seen so little other traffic... Once past Montauk, never saw another vessel until encountering a scallop boat on a collision course about 40 miles east of Atlantic City... Another northbound tug seen near Avalon Shoal, and that was it...

I noticed the same thing. Came across a handful of siene boats (looked like that was what they were doing) a few tugs and one of the watches saw a freighter. But hardly any traffic, even in the NY traffic lanes. We figured everyone took the day off.

Last edited by Faster; 11-21-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: fixed quote