The Nav Station Is Obsolete, Let's Build a Bar! - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 22 Old 11-21-2012
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Re: The Nav Station Is Obsolete, Let's Build a Bar!

I'm with the "keep the nav station" crowd provided you have enough boat. OK so most navigation is done electronically but NS is a nice place to sit and ponder or even pontificate. A good ns also allows you to wedge yourself into place. For mine, when I come off watch, particularly at night or in poor visibility its good to be able to sit down at the ns and simply look at plotter and/or chart. If you have made a mistake its a good time to realise it and correct.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 Old 11-21-2012

Re: The Nav Station Is Obsolete, Let's Build a Bar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonEisberg
Looks like the practice of "navigating" aboard that boat was strictly a matter of pushing buttons and scrolling a cursor at the helm...
I don't think Perry Mason wouldn't take that leap.
You could be right about that - but, was Perry a sailor? (grin)

I see a nav station completely absent of any instrumentation, navigational, or communications gear whatsoever... I suppose that little thing mounted above the electrical panel might possibly be a GPS looking unlike any fixed mount unit I've ever seen before, but it sure looks more like a stereo or CD player, to my eye...

Of course, perhaps they might have done their chart work/navigating using a handheld GPS, IPad, or similar here:

Or, maybe here:

However, I think I'll remain comfortable out on my limb of speculation, and guess that it was all done right HERE:

Last edited by JonEisberg; 11-21-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.