SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Need a few paper charts quick, but where?

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  rockDAWG 
#1 ·
I am with the old school. I don't feel comfortable without them. Who and where are the good and reasonable places that I can order the charts from the net that they can print out in your local Kinko place. Or I can stop by any place in Annapolis to pick up.

TIA. :)

#5 ·
Well, depends on how much area you want to show. While I use OceanGraphix charts for the area I sail most, I also have SEACLEAR, a freeware program. Download the NOAA charts for your area, pull the .kap files out and put in the SEACLEAR folder and you can look at them on your laptop.
Now, here's the cool thing. Take a Screenshot of the chart, open it in a program like IRFANVIEW, crop out all but the chart from your screenshot and print! I did this for some creeks I want to sail up and want a paper chart but didn't want to hassle w/ a huge chart for just a 2 or 3 mile area.

Total cost to me: Nada. And if you use the Route Editor function in Seaclear you can draw a course, then label it w/ headings or bearings and laminate the sucker.

#17 ·
The southwest corner of Tampa Bay and the course to the ICW is a nightmare now. Better to go outside and come back in at Venus Beach inlet or Charlotte Harbor.

Getting electronic charts and then printing segments at need is a good suggestion. But suspenders-n-belts means having paper charts too. Maybe ask around and buy somebody's slightly superannuated charts?

#19 ·
"I use removable scott tape and pencil to mark the course. I can remove it any time. "
Try a wide soft lead pencil and a vinyl (white or colored) eraser from a drafting/art supply instead of the big box stores. Marks easily, cleans easily, unlike the pink erasers there is no abrasive to damage the paper.

But for $200 you can buy a 13"x19" or tabloidsize inkjet from multiple brands, print on paper or plastic, and just print what you need 48 hours in advance. In the US we have the luxury of being able ot download all the official charts and free viewers, so if the chartbook you want costs more than $200...time to re-appraise how you buy the paper.

#21 ·
Yeah.... My plan is to stop at Maryland Nautical Sales in Baltimore tomorrow to pick up what I need before Board the plane.

I called them and they are open on Sat.

I will look into what hellosailor suggested since I have an epson R3000. I am not sure if I can print on the high quality "Map" quality paper, Tyvek paper will be perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.