Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Question Would You Say This Is A Good Analogy To Sailing?

This is from Midnight In Paris, where Owen Wilson goes back in time and meets Ernest Hemingway.

ďAll men fear death. Itís a natural fear that consumes us all. We fear death because we feel that we havenít loved well enough or loved at all, which ultimately are one and the same. However, when you make love with a truly great boat, one that deserves the utmost respect in this world and one that makes you feel truly powerful, that fear of death completely disappears. Because when you are sharing your body and heart with a great boat the world fades away. You two are the only ones in the entire universe. You conquer what most lesser men have never conquered before, you have conquered a great boatís heart, the most vulnerable thing she can offer to another. Death no longer lingers in the mind. Fear no longer clouds your heart. Only passion for living, and for loving, become your sole reality. This is no easy task for it takes insurmountable courage. But remember this, for that moment when you are one with a boat of true greatness you will feel immortal.

I believe that love that is true and real creates a respite from death. All cowardice comes from not loving or not loving well, which is the same thing. And when the man who is brave and true looks death squarely in the face like some rhino hunters I know or Belmonte, who is truly brave, it is because they love with sufficient passion to push death out of their minds. Until it returns, as it does to all men. And then you must make really good love again. Think about it.Ē

I replaced the words in bold to make the original quote apply to sailing.
rockDAWG likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Would You Say This Is A Good Analogy To Sailing?

Hmmm... I guess so. But I have not found a boat like that yet. Like Owen, I have never found a woman like that at all. Damn it is so unfair. May be I have to show this to my wife and ask her to do some upgrade. Perhaps, I will have that feeling.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 11-21-2012

As long as it is true and honorable and decent, you will find it. Have you ever come face-to-face with a charging rhino?

I just love Corey Stoll's Hemingway in that movie. And in a very real way I think so many of us have that romantic view of the sea. It's all at once scary, sexy, frightening, passionate, calming, exhilarating and addictive, once you experience its power and splendor. It's life in its most beautiful form and something we cannot be without once we know it.

I would change the end from "And then you must make really good love again." to "And then you must make really good sail again."
ctl411 likes this.
Old 11-22-2012

LessTacksing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to LessTacksing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Hmmm... I guess so. But I have not found a boat like that yet. Like Owen, I have never found a woman like that at all. Damn it is so unfair. May be I have to show this to my wife and ask her to do some upgrade. Perhaps, I will have that feeling.
A wife can have (make) upgrades?!!!!! Hmmmmm.......

David
Old 11-22-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road

Hemingway explores your theme in a variety of scenes in Islands in the Stream. Thomas Hudson reflects on similar things while on the bridge of his boat
JulieMor likes this.
Old 11-22-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
May be I have to show this to my wife and ask her to do some upgrade.-Rockdawg
Wow thats pretty chauvanistic

What happened to for better or for worse....

Quote:
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Old 11-22-2012

This isn't about one's relationship with women, it's about one's relationship with a boat and the sea. Very different.
Old 11-22-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
[I]I would change the end from "And then you must make really good love again." to "And then you must make really good sail again."
Both work for me.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-22-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
This isn't about one's relationship with women, it's about one's relationship with a boat and the sea. Very different.
Not really.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-22-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I am looking forward to reading a relatively recent Hemmingway biography entitled, "Hemingway's Boat: Everything He Loved in Life and Lost, 1934-1961".

In fact, Hemingway did love his boat and had an enlightened view of boating and the sea.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.