Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012

Cruzan1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Florida to Barbados - How to?

That run down to Barbados isn't bad in this time of year. Get the boat to Charleston and you'll have no problem finding a delivery crew.
BTW, what equipment are you missing?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Deliveries to the Caribbean from the Northeast are done all the time, however, its just about the end of the typical season for departure. Pretty cold right now. If the boat isn't prepped, you'll never get out in time.

Dockwise ship transport from Rhode Island is convenient, but again, I'm sure you're too late for this season.

Ship her over the ground to somewhere warm (NC or south), have her prepped for an ocean passage and send her off with a delivery crew.

The cost of paying anyone to deliver her to Barbados in any fashion is going to be breathtaking. If she has to eventually come back too, the round trip is going cost more than the value of a 1983 Jeanneau 32.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 11-25-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-25-2012
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83

She is not equipped for offshore ( no liferaft, no SSB, no AIS, no windvane, no charging other than through the inboard diesel or shore power - no solar panels or wind generator ).

I will be adding probably a solar panel (to keep the fridge cold on the mooring) but not interested in the rest. After all she is a 32ft'er and other than frequent daysailing , I will be doing some cruising (to the other islands for 1-2 weeks at a time only ) and some local racing.

I'm sure the eventual return trip is alot easier, if I choose to do it. And that will definitely be an option. It will not be a cost issue. It will be because I want to do it

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 11-25-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Considering the costs of shipping, and return shipping or outfitting for a return trip, it might indeed be most economical to upgrade the boat, buy a raft, a solar panel, skip the things that "offshore" boats don't really need and often never had (like SSB and AIS) and find a delivery crew. Autopilot? OK, nice upgrade, but again, some boats have relied on crew for that. Then of course there's insurance, odds are your policy would have to have the geographical limits extended if you're insured.

Just how expensive is it to ship via truck and deck cargo, with all the offloading, reloading, handling, anyway?
Old 11-25-2012
Not quite Senior Member

Yeah well latest estimate is between $15k and $18k, door to door... I really like the boat and she sails well and has served well. I may not be able to afford a bigger boat and the older I get the more difficult it is to handle bigger boats. Bigger boats, bigger and heavier sails, bigger anchors, bigger everything... Just a series of upgrades over time will be enough to keep her current. She also has a very nice looking interior.
jameswilson29 likes this.

Old 11-25-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

So let's say
$2500 for an installed autopilot
$4000 for a 4-man offshore life raft
$1000 for a satphone and service
$1000 to upgrade with a solar panel, regulator, extra battery, LED running lights

AIS, trivial. SSB, debatable.

Maybe $8500 and you'll want that all for your return trip eventually anyhow. Which means you could spend another eight or ten grand on delivery crews, airfare, etc. and sail it down, or have it sailed down, and still come out eight grand AHEAD of the shipping costs, because you'd be buying that gear for your return trip.

Depending on timing and other constraints, if you cna find one crew to bring it down to FL and a second crew--or vacation time--to bring it the rest of the way, I'd think that's a lot less "convenient" but way more attractive. Or, again considering the shipping costs, put the emotions aside and sell the boat, buy another one down there. $18k in shipping costs is one hell of a a "convenience fee".
Old 11-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waymar83 View Post
Yeah well latest estimate is between $15k and $18k, door to door...
You have a pretty boat, for sure.

This cost actually sounds low to me, especially when you add in all the derigging, rerigging, hauling, launching, etc.

How long are you planning to stay in Barbados? Do you want your boat there during hurricane season?

For the return trip, you will have to equip her for the passage and then have an extraordinary amount of free time. Particularly, if you're inexperienced, you'll want the best weather window. Or, you'll still hire some crew. Then, will you go all the way to the St. Lawrence or still truck her the rest of the way from the East Coast? More hauling, derigging, etc......

I wonder if you could just get a long term lease on a boat in Barbados for less money and leave yours buttoned up for your return.

Just an idea. Best of luck with it all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-27-2012
Not quite Senior Member

Well, the door to door shipping fell through so I'm back to square 1. I'm now thinking Kingston to anywhere from USVI South. I can pick it up there myself as that sail to Barbados would take 10 days to max of 2-3 weeks. - which is not a bad holiday.

Or, as was suggested here, hire someone from Florida to sail to sail it South...

Old 11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waymar83 View Post
Well, the door to door shipping fell through so I'm back to square 1. I'm now thinking Kingston to anywhere from USVI South. I can pick it up there myself as that sail to Barbados would take 10 days to max of 2-3 weeks. - which is not a bad holiday.

Or, as was suggested here, hire someone from Florida to sail to sail it South...
Sorry to hear that.

Could you clarify what you are looking for? Do you want her on a container ship or do you want to truck her over land to FL and pay a delivery crew to get her to USVI? You may need to outfit some of the equip for a passage to get a delivery crew. If you expect them to island hop, you have two issues. The cost to clear customs at each country and the extra time, which may make it cheaper to just outfit the boat for the offshore journey.

When you sail her yourself to Barbados, will you island hop? If so, same concern over paying to land in all the different countries and the time. While it can be a great vacation to deliver your own boat, I've never liked the idea of getting her home and then being out of vacation to enjoy her.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 11-28-2012
Not quite Senior Member

Well,

Right now i'll consider all options. I just want to get her down here. Looks like 1) overland to Florida, some outfitting and having her sailed down.

2) kingston to usvi or further south then sailing her down myself. This looks like a reasonable option.

I got lots of leave accumulated so a 2-3 week cruising holiday still leaves me plenty of free time to take several one week holidays next year.