Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Florida to Barbados - How to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waymar83 View Post
2) kingston to usvi or further south.....
This is the part that I think I may be missing. Does this suggest hiring a delivery crew to take her up the St. Lawrence and down the coast? Since you didn't want to outfit her, I didn't think this was an option. In any event, I think you've missed this weather window, particularly given the lead and prep time. But I have heard of some crazy deliveries!

If your heart is set on this, I think the only practical answer is to put her on a truck and ship her somewhere between NC to FL and then hire a delivery crew to take her all the way directly to Barbados. They may have to stop once or twice to refuel. I think, if you mess around with coordinating a pickup in USVI, by the time you pay for dock space, wait for the right weather window, pay your own island hopping fees, etc, you would have been better off paying the extra time to get the job done.

I am afraid that, by the time you add in all the incidentals (rigging, hauling, trucking, food, fuel, probable repairs, fees, etc, etc), this is going to cost much more than you might think. I say over $20k before all is said and done.

Are you sure it is worth dropping this load of cash? Seems you could lease a boat there.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
This is the part that I think I may be missing. Does this suggest hiring a delivery crew to take her up the St. Lawrence and down the coast? there.
Is the boat in Onterio? Now?

This is getting ridiculous.

I might not be American but I have taken a boat from Lake Michigan to Nova Scotia and that wasn't a short trip. But it was in summer.
No one with a brain will sail it now till next year... May?

So you are restricted to trucking... But the boat is a wide load so it will cost a fortune. Form the tippy top of the USA to the bottom... That's a long way and then to outfit her... But you have been only given alist of the equipment , not the installation cost.... Which will skyrocket if you are not there to supervise.

It's just a flood of tears that will not stop till you are broke.

Sell the damn thing and buy something in the Caribbean. Probably you will be able to buy a Jeneau 36 for the same as you sell a 32 in the USA.

Check Yachtworld.com

I know you reallllly want the boat down there but at some stage you need to think about alternatives.

Finally, the upwind passage to Barbads is NOT a fun happy sail. It non stop 20 knot trade winds right on the nose. With current against you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 11-28-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-28-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Here's a Jeanneau 36 for $63,000 in the Dominican Republic

1999 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Old 11-28-2012
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83

Hi guys,

The boat is in Kingston (ON) . I had a plan to ship her down straight to Barbados through the same company that moved me here a year ago. It fell through. The plan was never to sail her right down. there was always some overland from Kingston to destination "x" and then maybe onto a ship or have her sailed down the rest of the way as I personally dont have the time or experience).

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 11-28-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I just thought of the airfare to send your delivery crew all the way home too. I'm upping my estimate. Sorry.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-28-2012
Not quite Senior Member

Lots to consider. I like the Jeanneau in the DR by the way. She looks pretty good.

Old 12-10-2012
Not quite Senior Member

Things are looking up! I got a decent quote from Kingston to Florida and got a local sailor who will sail from Florida to Barbados! Might even have her here for the Round Barbados Race on January 21!!!

Old 12-10-2012

That's great. We'll be curious to hear how it goes.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.