Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012

CascoBayP30 is on a distinguished road
Gear for a one week+ delivery

Q. If you were making a passage from Newport RI to Antigua leaving @ the end of November, what would be in your gear bag? Assume 8 - 10 day trip. Thanks for your responses!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2012

Cruzan1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Gear for a one week+ delivery

Here's whats in my bag
Iridium Extreme Sat Phone
Spot
Hand held VHF/GPS
Compass
voltmeter
Tool kit*
First aid kit*
Iphone with Navionics apps
safety harness
Sun Bum pro sunscreen
Two pairs polarized sunglasses
Notebook with pencil+pen
Sharpee markers (blk + red)
Baselayer top + bottom (columbia)
Mask + old pair volt fins (old school but easy to pack)
Go Pro camera
hand held VHF
Compass
Paper charts of whatever areas I'm heading into.

* My first aid + tool kit are condesened down and contain only items that I feel are essential. I want my bag to be fairly light and all boats "should" already have first aid kit and tools on board.
CascoBayP30 likes this.
Old 11-24-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

As crew?

A few small hand towels that I can wrap around my neck under wet weather geer. So no little cold trickles can get down.
Slim inner gloves from mountaineering stores. They are small enough to have a pair on and a pair in the pocket for the cold trickle that gets up the arm and down the glove.

Dirty magazines (you can hire them out to other crew after day 4)

The first few nights will be *really* cold, perhaps the coldest you have been in your life. Take thermals.
CascoBayP30 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2012

Slayer is on a distinguished road

You will probably get a list of the usual items such as leatherman, knife, etc. But here are some things that may not be on everyone's list:

Eye mask for sleeping. (I got on a flight) Last trip I slept in the saloon when I wasn't on watch. Even though we tried to use the red lights at night, these were still helpful. I think good sleep is important so you are alert during your watch.

Also for a good nights sleep, ear plugs. I know the risk of these may be that you miss a call to deck or to abandon ship, but I can still hear with them in. They muffle noise enough so I can fall and stay asleep. I also let the rest of the crew know I have them in so they will think to shake me if need be.

Some type of disposable face/body wash cloth. I sailed out of Newport last week and too cold to shower, so these are perfect to wash up with. Also the kind you use for your bum...but don't flush these.

The kind of flashlight you strap to your head is very useful, as is an illuminated watch with an alarm for getting up for and standing watch.

These are just a few things I found helpful.

Have a great trip.
CascoBayP30 likes this.

Last edited by Slayer; 11-24-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Are you planning to change your underwear. Oh yeah, baby wipes too.
CascoBayP30 likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 11-25-2012
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

"Assume 8 - 10 day" trip? Are you sailing on a 100 foot Swan?
I'd about double that estimate, for anything under 75'.
If you are leaving late November, you are going to be in the North Atlantic in the winter. Some cold weather clothes will be in order. Lots of socks and underwear (even long johns) to change into if some get wet. Then you'll hit warmer and warmer weather and need to start stripping off the layers. You should consider that carrying around all those cold weather clothes might become a pain in the ass after it warms up, so maybe have stuff you can discard or use as rags.
Imperative is foul weather gear of high quality and really good quality sailing boots.
A good pair of sunglasses is also imperative. Gloves, not the silly "sailing gloves" but nice warm ones, in case the autopilot dies and you have to steer.
Pretty much any tool or phone, radio or nav equipment will be aboard a properly outfitted boat, so lighten your load a bit. Everyone likes their own rigging knife, but in reality it's rarely used on a modern boat. A "leatherman" type tool is also unnecessary on a boat with a decent tool kit, and pretty dangerous on your belt.
Again, if this isn't a 100 foot Swan, there's probably not going to be a lot of space for your gear and you'll be living out of your bag. The lighter your kit, the easier your life, crewing on a delivery.
CascoBayP30 likes this.
Old 11-26-2012

Thanks for your responses. I have done a few deliveries prior to this one, but this will be my longest to date. I will be one of 4 (possibly 5) on delivery, and the boat is beautiful, fast, well outfitted 74' ketch. We were meant to leave today, but the captain pushed departure off till Wed due to weather. I have foulies of course, and proper kit (layers, boots, headlamp, etc..) for the passage, but I like the ideas - Baby wipes is brilliant - being that I probably wont shower for a long while. The small towel under the gear is a good one, too. Dirty mag comment was a riot (!) , also earplugs and eye mask... I am bringing one bag so it's all contained and easily managed, and have a ticket back provided by the boat. Thanks again for your thoughts. Good stuff! See you in Antigua!
Old 11-26-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Do you really need to ask? With all your experience it should be a no "Brainer'. Tell us, how you are qualified for the journey as it is your longest to date? Maybe you could take some hints from the "Bounty" captain?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 11-26-2012

aeventyr60-

None taken. (!)

I may not NEED to ask, but where is the harm in seeking a little knowledge? I was interested in what others might say. SailNet is the best place I could ask such a question. Anything I can do to improve my personal skills or conduct on delivery is not only good for me - but good for the boat!

I am about to embark on a great sailing adventure, and I'm excited about it... I am confused as to why or how you are somehow insulted or offended by my query. ??

Tell us - What qualifies YOU to pass judgement on me? Better yet - WHY are you judging me?? I don't get it.

Tips from the Bounty captain?! Really?? Booooo.
Old 11-26-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Do you really need to ask? With all your experience it should be a no "Brainer'. Tell us, how you are qualified for the journey as it is your longest to date? Maybe you could take some hints from the "Bounty" captain?
Ummmmm he who asks a question is a fool for five minutes....he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.
CascoBayP30 likes this.