Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Mast climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
The Mast Mate set-up looks very convenient but it apparently has no secondary safety line. Going up on just one halyard would make me very uneasy. Do you tie off somewhere else as a safety.
Absolutely, I would never go up the rig without a secondary line, I'm a total chicken when it comes to going up the mast...

I use a spare jib halyard run around behind the shrouds, and a Saf-Brake fall arrester clipped to either a chest harness, or a seat harness...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
..a Saf-Brake fall arrester...
Do you have a link for that? I googled it with no luck. Thanks,

Sum

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

Old 11-25-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner10 View Post
We bought a used (very little) Mast Mate ....

Mast Mate Home

....but haven't used it yet, but will the next time we are at the boat.

I'll pull the Mast Mate up with the main halyard but will also wear a safety harness my wife made (Sailrite) and....

.... will probably use a line from it to the main halyard, as shown above, with either a prusik knot or friction device as a safety. I can slide it up or down the halyard as I ascend or descend.

The first time up I'm putting in another block up there and will then also have a line thru it to me and to the wife below. She is the backup safety to the prusik loop I'll be using. I don't want to put her in the position of number one safety. Also once up I could unclip from that line and use it along with her to raise tools/parts up to me.

One negative to the Mast Mate on the water is that you have to drop the main out of the track to use it, but I've read of some that have had luck leaving the main in the track and not using the track but pulling the Mast Mate up next to the mast free standing and then tying it off to the mast as you go up to keep it next to the mast. It needs to be tied off below next to the mast to do this.

Also the Mast Mate we got came with a belt kind of like a lineman's belt that you can keep around the mast as you ascend and descend. It also has a tool pouch.

I have a couple permanent steps that will be placed near the top of the mast to stand on while up there and can lean back on the belt or put a simple chair on the line my wife will control.

Another negative to the Mast Mate is that if you wanted to deal with a 70 foot mast you would have to get one of the appropriate length.

I had looked at all the other options that have been mentioned in the other posts. Being close to 70, but in good shape, we felt the Mast Mate would probably be the best solution for me/us. I guess I'll know a few months from now,

Sum

=================================

I put a second bracket at the last step so I can stand on two feet at the masthead. Have always wrapped my tether around the mast for a safety but am going to experiment using an ascender attached to a taut halyard instead. In any fall, it seems a goal has got to be to keep the upper body from becoming inverted if a foot were caught in a bracket or in one of the loops in a strap ladder. I think an ascender, adjusted from waist to arm's reach above could accomplish this and be easy to just slide up/down while going step to step.
Old 11-25-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg

..a Saf-Brake fall arrester...
Do you have a link for that? I googled it with no luck. Thanks,

Sum

I believe I paid considerably less for this about 15 years ago... I like it better than an ascender, doesn't seem to get hung up or caught as much on the way up...

LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc.

Perhaps one of the climbers here can direct you to an equivalent for a bit less...
Old 11-26-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I believe I paid considerably less for this about 15 years ago... I like it better than an ascender, doesn't seem to get hung up or caught as much on the way up...

LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc.

Perhaps one of the climbers here can direct you to an equivalent for a bit less...
Thanks, using that as a start I found these two other possible solutions....

Petzl Rescucender Rope Grab

...and...

Petzl Shunt Mechanical Prusik

....anyone have comments on them. They look to be used as a safety going up and down with a line next to a ladder or another line.

They aren't that much less than what you posted. For $20 difference I'd just want the one easiest to use that is meant for this situation,

Sum

================================

Old 11-26-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I swear there's no rednecks in the family tree but I can't help thinking, one a them 4wd winches with a remote control unit would make for a fine way to scoot up and down the mast. With a conventional safety line rigged for "just in case". I know, it's lubberly, it's ELECTRIC, it's all sorts of wrong...but the damned things can haul a jeep around and I know I'm not a whole lot heavier than a jeep!
Old 11-26-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

HS,

One of them newfangled lectric wenches might werk too! or one of them thar windlassies! just remote control with a forward and reverse!

Anyway, I usually use my 4 altho it might be 5-1 how I have it setup, with someone tailing me on a winch. This helps as my cabin top winches are only 16-1. If one has a 40+ to 1 winch, then straight pulling on the winch will get someone up.

I may also be explaining the how I keep the tail end of the line around me incorrectly also. I set this up as if I was belaying someone, also repelling, I'm the belayer along with the belayee! It does create enough friction if done correctly such that I will not slide down too much, or at least slowly. One could also figure out how to do this with a figure 8 from climbing also.

At the end of the day, do how ever, whatever is such a manner, if you go up in one piece, come down in one piece!

Marty
Old 11-26-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Thanks, using that as a start I found these two other possible solutions....

Petzl Rescucender Rope Grab

...and...

Petzl Shunt Mechanical Prusik

....anyone have comments on them. They look to be used as a safety going up and down with a line next to a ladder or another line.

They aren't that much less than what you posted. For $20 difference I'd just want the one easiest to use that is meant for this situation,

Sum

================================

I've not used these, but I do use the Petzl Gri-Gri which works the same way - only as a belay device. I would highly recommend these things as a back-up device. They're bomb-proof.
jrd22 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-26-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

I think I'll stick with my mast steps.

ATB

Michael
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 11-26-2012

gershel is on a distinguished road

I think you should re-consider the ATN TopClimber. I've had mine for about 11-12 years and I've always felt safe. The trick that made it easy for me was to keep the static (climbing) line next to the mast and very tight. I put my hands around the mast, then stand up. Easy. The way it's usually shown is to hold onto the line and pull yourself upright. I find that difficult. As far as decending, what's wrong with slow. With al the things on a mast that can snag you, being slow and deliberate is much safer. I usually tie a line from my harness to an existing halyard with a rolling hitch as a safety line. I just slide it up or down as I go.
I'm old, fat, and also bald, and I've made as many as 7 round trips in one day for things I forgot ( did I mention I'm 75).
The ATN is simple, safe and ready to go, no experimenting.
Marc
xymotic, davidpm and dugout like this.