Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By SlowButSteady

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
New sailing experience

I took the boat out for a nice little sail across Santa Monica Bay yesterday, and I used my fancy new iPhone to Skype some friends who are spending a year in Japan. As it turns out, the house they are renting has a distant view of Mt. Fuji from the balcony. So, we're video chatting and I can see Mt. Fuji over their shoulders, and they can see Palos Verdes and Catalina Island over my shoulder as I sailed back into King Harbor. And, of course, all in real time.

OK, I realize that for the generation who were essentially born with a smart phone in their hands this is no big deal. But for an old guy who refuses to completely grow up (but can remember actually dialing a phone, and what a gas it was to see myself on a little black and white CCTV image for the first time in a display at the Oakland Airport), video phoning someone 5000 miles away while I was sailing my little 27 foot boat was pretty cool.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2012

azguy is on a distinguished road
Re: New sailing experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
video phoning someone 5000 miles away while I was sailing my little 27 foot boat was pretty cool.
I agree
Old 11-27-2012

jhorst1 is on a distinguished road

Now, download the Navionics app for 9.99, download it (maps) prior to being outside of internet and cell range and you have a decent handheld GPS unit. A 4s or 5 supports GLONASS.
Old 11-27-2012
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorst1 View Post
Now, download the Navionics app for 9.99, download it (maps) prior to being outside of internet and cell range and you have a decent handheld GPS unit. A 4s or 5 supports GLONASS.
Actually, I installed the iSailor app already. However, I didn't realize that the iPhone supports GLONASS. Cool.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 11-27-2012

jhorst1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Actually, I installed the iSailor app already. However, I didn't realize that the iPhone supports GLONASS. Cool.
Yes it works like a charm...because some may ask more about this if they see it in this thread I am posting info below that was from another forum, but same topic.

Iphones can and are used with a great deal of accuracy far outside of cell phone towers

The iPhone does have a GPS receiver, and has since the iPhone 3G. And as pointed out, the iPhone also has A-GPS capability, which lets the GPS receiver determine its current location much faster than normal. Without A-GPS, the GPS receiver has to wait -- sometimes multiple minutes -- before it can determine its location, because it doesn't know where the satellites are. A-GPS allows the phone to download satellite almanac data over the cellular network, so the GPS receiver can immediately know where all the satellites are. A-GPS is not necessary, however, for GPS operation -- even if you have no cellular service, you can still use the GPS receiver in the iPhone.

What the iPhone does NOT have is WAAS capability. The GPS receiver works by measuring how long it takes for the radio signals to propagate between the satellites and the receiver. The propagation time varies based on the current density of the atmosphere between each satellite and the receiver. Because of the density flucuations, a standard GPS receiver can only get a fix that is accurate to about 10 meters. However, some geostationary satellites transmit atmospheric density information that lets GPS receivers compensate for current atmospheric conditions, and this enables accuracies in the neighborhood of about 1 meter. Garmin has had WAAS capable receivers for years, as have other hand-held and aviation-based GPS receivers, so it is a bit surprising that Apple has not incorporated WAAS into their GPS radio -- especially since WAAS density data can be downloaded via the Internet, eliminating the need for increased radio weight. I and others have submitted requests for a WAAS capable GPS receiver in the iPhone, but Apple has not delivered. Perhaps it is because WAAS is only available in North America. However, according to the specs for the iPhone 4S and 5, it now supports GLONASS, which provides near-WAAS accuracy when combined with standard GPS, and is available worldwide. At least that is the next best thing to WAAS.
Old 11-27-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Nice story!
Old 11-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Remember when Dick Tracy's "wrist radio" was just comic strip fantasy?
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-27-2012
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Remember when Dick Tracy's "wrist radio" was just comic strip fantasy?
Somehow, we seem to have skipped right past Maxwell Smart "shoe-phones".

In fact, I think we missed them by that much.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.