SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New sailing experience

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SlowButSteady 
#1 ·
I took the boat out for a nice little sail across Santa Monica Bay yesterday, and I used my fancy new iPhone to Skype some friends who are spending a year in Japan. As it turns out, the house they are renting has a distant view of Mt. Fuji from the balcony. So, we're video chatting and I can see Mt. Fuji over their shoulders, and they can see Palos Verdes and Catalina Island over my shoulder as I sailed back into King Harbor. And, of course, all in real time.

OK, I realize that for the generation who were essentially born with a smart phone in their hands this is no big deal. But for an old guy who refuses to completely grow up (but can remember actually dialing a phone, and what a gas it was to see myself on a little black and white CCTV image for the first time in a display at the Oakland Airport), video phoning someone 5000 miles away while I was sailing my little 27 foot boat was pretty cool. :)

#4 ·
Actually, I installed the iSailor app already. However, I didn't realize that the iPhone supports GLONASS. Cool.

#7 ·
Remember when Dick Tracy's "wrist radio" was just comic strip fantasy? :D

#8 ·
Somehow, we seem to have skipped right past Maxwell Smart "shoe-phones".

In fact, I think we missed them by that much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.