Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rule Bilge Pumps

What was you original bilge pump? Seemed that system worked for 30+ years I would stay with that. In addition you could mount a rule on the cabin floor, or in cabinet, for the major flooding incidents that hopefully will never happen.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

There must be an O'Day owners group on the web - what do the hundreds of other O'Day 27 owners do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-28-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Okay, so I am looking at the diaphram pumps and wondering why they put out so much less water but costs so much more?
Also, what model should I get for my boat? how many gpm is acceptable?
Jabsco 36600 Diaphragm Bilge Pump? 475 gph
ITT Jabsco 372020000 ? 4.5 gpm
They just seem to pump so much less water...
I have a small secondary diaphragm pump which was in the boat when I got it. The foot for that and a newer, large Rule sit in the low point of the bilge, both on electronic sensor switches, one over the other. The diaphragms are noisy enough to wake the dead! Maybe some sort of pump similar to a modern fresh water pump would be a better idea.
Old 11-28-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I have no experience with this one.

Dry Bilges are possible!

I think there was a system like this (may have been the same one) in Latitudes and Attitudes TV. As I recall it was in the segment where they show stuff at the boat shows.
Old 11-28-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Diaphragm pumps just cost more, a lot more. There are more moving parts on a diaphragm pump than a centrifugal pump like a Rule. You could buy 7 (or more) Rule pumps for the price of one Jabsco 36600 pump.

How much water are you expecting to need to pump out of your 2" deep bilge? You don't need much more than a 500 gph pump to empty a few gallons of water now and then.

Since I have had two (2) Jabsco diaphragm pumps fail on me I do not recommend using them.

Is there some spot on your cabin sole (floor) where you can cut away a hole where you could insert a Rule pump into the bilge?

Why yes, yes there is
Thanks for the idea.
Old 11-28-2012
Blue Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
What was you original bilge pump? Seemed that system worked for 30+ years I would stay with that. In addition you could mount a rule on the cabin floor, or in cabinet, for the major flooding incidents that hopefully will never happen.
Well I bought the boat and it had.. idk. nothing? I think it had some sort of old diaphram pump. Anywhoo it didnt work so I trashed it and got a 50$ utility pump from harbor freight that ive used up to this point.

Let me include some pics.
Here is what I have now:

Here is the bilge I have to work with:

Note those pics are very old, the boats much nicer now =)
Old 11-28-2012
Blue Horizons

Well idk why but the pictures wont show. If you want to see the pics here is link:

Last edited by Faster; 11-28-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: embedded pics
Old 11-28-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

I don't recommend Rule pumps or switches. Have an diaphragm pump FLOJET Pump, Marine/Rv, 12 Vdc - Industrial Diaphragm Pumps - 2P366|02100-12C - Grainger Industrial Supply a maintenance pump (keeps bilge almost dry) and a Johnson centrifugal pump as an emergency bilge pump. All subjects covered in detail in other bilge pump threads here. Search if interested.
The diaphragm would work for your situation but is not suitable for emergencies. If you can also mount a centrifugal pump and automatic switch anywhere they would kick on before water got to the motor or other vital mechanisms, it would be better than nothing.
BTW: I think this thread should be in Gear and Maintenance. You'll get more responses in the right category.

Last edited by L124C; 11-28-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

On my O'day 35 I have a Whale Gusher - manual diaphragm pump in the cockpit, and a Rule Gold 2000 mounted in the bilge.

Note that Rule has a "Standard" and a "Gold" series of pumps. The difference is;
Quote:
Rule Gold Series Bilge Pumps are engineered to commercial standards for superior quality and performance. Fully submersible 1500GPH, 2000GPH and 3700GPH 12V bilge pumps have a water cooled lubricated ball bearing motor.
Motors feature 5/16 inch stainless steel shafts, water-cooling and a vibration free centrifugal impeller that won't burn out if bilge runs dry. Built-in triple straining system helps to eliminate clogging and prolong the life of the pump.

5 year manufacturers warranty.
(most of this sounds like BS... except the 5 year warranty)

Rule makes a variety of different types of pumps, including in-line pumps. you can read about them here: http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/artdoc7841.pdf

I also have a Ultra Safety Systems Ultra Pump Switch. These do not stick, and will not clog. Learn more about these here: TEF-GEL - Ultra safety systems - Home page
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 11-28-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

The nice thing about the diaphragm pumps is that you can mount them up under a settee and run a pick up hose to a bilge area.. you don't need a lot of 'headroom' for that. The problem of finding a switch that will activite within the two inches remains.. the switch will fit, but won't activate until the floorboards are floating (which, in an emergency would work, I suppose...)

Harbor.. you need to paste photobucket's IMG CODE link option.. I fixed your earlier post for you.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)