Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Question Rule Bilge Pumps

I am replacing my bilge pump system and wanted to go with a RULE 2000 gph pump for my primary. My boat is a 27' PY26 with a 2" shallow bilge (i do have 6 '1 headroom though!)

1. Is 2000 gph enough for my boat length/size?
2. Does rule make a non-submersible pump system? My bilge is too shallow for the pump to be kept there. Right now I have the pump in the battery locker well out of any wet areas with a hose ran down into the bilge.
3. Would a float switch set-up work for such a shallow bilge? I do not want the switch to constantly be tripped bc my bilge stays moists with the drip from the stuffing box.
4. Do you recommend RULE?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Rule Bilge Pumps

You can buy small bilge pumps that are "sideways" that would probably fit in your bilge. It would be a lot simpler than trying to cobble up some sort of remote system IMHO.

Whale Marine - Products

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-27-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
You can buy small bilge pumps that are "sideways" that would probably fit in your bilge. It would be a lot simpler than trying to cobble up some sort of remote system IMHO.

Whale Marine - Products

I do not think any pump would fit in my bilge worth a snuff. Im serious the vertical clearance is 2" or less. What sort of pump could do anything with that sort of dimension?
I need a non-submersible system.
I mean I have to struggle to pull out the 1" hose whenever I want to remove the strainer for cleaning so theres no way an actual pump is fitting down there.

Thanks for your suggestion though.
Old 11-27-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Whale Marine - Products
FYI, I have a rule pump in my deep bilge, but I wanted to stop the stuffing box water from entering the deep bilge (to keep the stainless keel bolts dry). I built a fiberglass "dam" at my stuffing box and installed your recommended whale pump to pump this new bilge area. Supersub 650:
http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pro...b-Smart-Family
I needed a pump that would work in a small area and the Whale pump worked great. Note this whale pump has a solid state level switch built in, no need for an additional flat switch. If you do not have space then your only other option would be to use a diaphrgam pump, west marine sells some made by Jabsco, these are expensive running $250-$600, then you need to add the float swtich. Note that you install the diaphrgam pump out of the bilge and run the suction hose to the bilge, but you still need to install a float switch that will work with your shallow bilge.

Last edited by casey1999; 11-27-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
I do not think any pump would fit in my bilge worth a snuff. Im serious the vertical clearance is 2" or less. What sort of pump could do anything with that sort of dimension?
I need a non-submersible system.
I mean I have to struggle to pull out the 1" hose whenever I want to remove the strainer for cleaning so theres no way an actual pump is fitting down there.

Thanks for your suggestion though.
Ouch! That's not a bilge, that's wet carpets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-27-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ouch! That's not a bilge, that's wet carpets.
Yea, think you need to hook up a 12 volt wet/dry vac- west marine sells one.
Old 11-27-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

What the others have said.

I'll add that 2000gph is in the range of size for a second or disaster backup bilge pump. On many boats the primary bilge pump is in the < 1000 gph range as all it normally needs to do is remove a few gallons of water. The Don Casey bilge pump philosophy is to have two bilge pumps with the larger capacity pump mounted a little higher than the primary pump.

That said, I now have one Rule bilge pump on my boat in the 800 gph range which works fine and is cheap to replace when it fails (~$50-60).
Our boat came to us with a Jabsco diaphragm pump set up as the bilge pump. When that one failed I bought a replacement for $250+ and it soon failed too. That is when I decided to try the much cheaper non-automatic Rule centrifugal pump I have had for nearly 5 years. My boat has a deep keel but it is narrow so I had to choose a fairly small pump body shape.
We also have a hand pump plumbed to our bilge.
I'm not currently a believer in float switches.

Everybody has one:

Old 11-27-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Harborless,

Unless I'm missing something, the Rule 2000 ain't gonna be an option for you.

Since it's a centrifugal pump it cannot be "remotely" set up. It has to sit in the water column to work.

The Whale Supersub pumps that SBS and Casey have mentioned are the shortest I know of, and they are both (a tad) taller than your 2" sump depth.

That leaves you with a diaphram pump as your best (only?) option. It will develop suction that can draw water "uphill" from your bilge. Unlike a centrifugal pump, it will also solve the problem of back flow of the water from the top of your anti-siphon loop back into the bilge.
Old 11-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

It sounds to me like Casey1999 has the best idea - dam off an area that will catch the stuffing box drips to make it deep enough and put a pump in there. Simply use a sponge to mop up any stray bits of water that get to the keel bolt area.

Old 11-27-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

As a recovering wooden boat owner, I have FAR TOO MUCH experience keeping boats afloat with bilge pumps.

The summary of my experience (for which I now have PTSD) is that RULE bilge pumps are the only bilge pump I will ever buy. They saved my boat more times than I am willing to admit and I heaped nothing but abuse on them.

Some food for though on bilge pump sizing. Most think that the larger the boat the larger the pump right? Actually, it should be the reverse. In absolute terms a 14ft boat will take less gallons of water to sink than a 50ft barge. Again, in absolute terms, if your water ingress is the same speed for both, a bilge pump will buy you a little time on the small boat, or a lot of time on the big boat. Small boats need big pumps, big boats need smaller pumps.

Having said that, NO electric bilge pump will keep you afloat if you bust a through hull or breech the hull by hitting something. These pumps are primarily to remove nuisance water and to keep you afloat at the slip while you're away if you don't notice a small source of water ingress.

Follow this logic, the most important thing is reliability. To that end I recommend 2 pumps minimum for any size boat, and they both should be RULE. Size doesn't really matter (here at least) but the bigger the better if you have the space and money.

On my wooden boat I went though 5 pumps in 6 years and all of them were brands other than rule. The 2 rule pumps that came with the boat were still going strong when I sold her. Once I came back from a week long trip to find a stuck bilge pump switch and my rule 2000 running continuously in a dry bilge. It had probably been running for days.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 11-27-2012 at 10:54 PM.