SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bridge one, sailboat zero

3K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  JulieMor 
#1 ·
Received these photos from a member of the sailing club I belong to.
Here is an edited copy of what he sent:
"The owner" wasn't on it but some friends who borrowed it were. The
sailboat group called the bridge tender with a group of three to pass, but
the new Tortoise Island bridge tender apparently can only count to two
despite the towering masts. The bridge first lowered onto the sailboat
driving the mast through the keel, then raised the bridge destroying all the
new rigging, until finally plunging the boat back into the water. The
bridge was tied up for hours.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I live just south of there. Last time I went through that bridge, I couldn't get the bridgetender to answer my call on VHF channel 9 after several calls. I finally used the horn and he saw me and raised the bridge. I assume the bridgetender still has no VHF radio, which may account for the debacle. Last years christmas boat parade went smoothly as the bridge was raised for the entire parade.:D

#9 ·
Last time I was going through the Ortega Landing Bridge I could not get a response from the controller either. I ended up motoring right up to the bridge and having to do circles until the guy finally sees me and hits the buzzer. Im just cuttin circles on CH. 9 like wtf?

Its funny though because I think I usually have the same operator since I go sailing the same times usually. Anyway I single hand most times and since its illegal to go under a bridge under sail I always motor about 200 yards from the bridge then scurry aROUND lowering my sails to motor through.
Well every time I do this once I clear the other side about 100 yards I leave the tiller and start raising sails. Well I always sort of turn around like im getting pushed back under the bridge bc no one is holding the tilller and I swear everytime the guy hits the alarm like I am about to crash into the bridge. Everytime I re-raise my sails and hop back in the ****-pit and correct my course and listen to the buzzer stop.

I bet that guy curses me every time but its funny because he probably thinks im a moron about to crash his boat into the draw bridge. Every time I just look back as I start to sail away and laugh. But its cool though, at least he calls me "cap'n."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.